• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colors for Each Occasion

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
well yeah, what i meant was raptor boosting cant get them off. ive played the falcon matchup quite a bit (not high level of course), and usually reds are a good color to have, even though essentially only two of his moves have a fire attribute.
I can partially agree with this, but still the point of the thread is to get the best colors. In my experience, it'd be better to have, say, a yellow than a red. Your post did make me notice something though; the only kill pikmin listed for him is purple. Does this mean the majority of CF KOs should be coming from usmash and uthrow? I've gotten Falcons with bad DI with quick back and front throws as well, so I'm only curious as to if I should change my mindset

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It IS harder to kill him off the top.
I don't know, I haven't played the match-up since the Falcon I played with switched to Meta (a few months ago).

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Here's My 2 cents (havent posted outside the social thread in a long time :o)

These are the MOST USEFUL PIKMIN COLORS IMO PER MATCHUP (order doesn't matter)

Meta Knight- B: PurpleYellowBlue

Snake- B: PurpleRedWhiteBlue
Diddy Kong- B: PurpleBlueWhite
Falco- B: YellowWhite
Ice Climbers- B: PurpleYellow
Marth- B: Purple Yellow
Wario- B: Purple Yellow

King DeDeDe- B: All
Pikachu- B: Purple YellowBlue
Olimar- B: Purple YellowBlueWhite
Lucario- B: All
Mr. Game&Watch- B: Purple YellowBlueRed

Pit- B: All
Toon Link- B: PurpleWhite
Zero Suit Samus- B: All
Kirby- B: PurpleBlue
ROB- B: All

Donkey Kong- B: Purple YellowWhite
Peach- B: Purple Yellow Red
Fox- B: Purple BlueRed
Luigi- B: Purple Blue
Wolf- B: Purple Yellow

Sheik- B: PurpleWhiteBlue
Squirtle- B: Purple YellowBlue
Ivysaur- B: Purple Red
Charizard- B: Purple White Red
Sonic- B: Purple Yellow
Ness- B: PurpleYellowRed
Bowser- B: Purple White Red

Lucas- B: Purple Yellow Red
Ike- B: Purple Blue
Yoshi- B: Purple Blue
Mario- B: Purple Yellow Red
Captain Falcon- B: All
Samus- B: Purple Red Yellow
Jigglypuff- B: PurpleBlue

Zelda- B: Purple YellowBlue
Link- B: All
Ganondorf- B: All

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Here's My 2 cents (havent posted outside the social thread in a long time :o)

These are the MOST USEFUL PIKMIN COLORS IMO PER MATCHUP (order doesn't matter)

Wario- B: Purple Yellow

Zero Suit Samus- B: All
These are the only things on your list that I got confused about. Wario because I'm not sure where the kills come in - should I be going for more purple usmash in this matchup? And Zero Suit Samus is because you didn't specify purples, and I thought they were one of the more important aspects of winning the mu.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I expected more RED on that list, Tin Man. :3
Old, old, old.

My apologies for not updating or discussing things in here lately, been too busy with other things to sit down and read everything.
"Other things" being preparations for the autumn semester
and Xenosaga. <<;

Tin Man

Smash Hero
These are the only things on your list that I got confused about. Wario because I'm not sure where the kills come in - should I be going for more purple usmash in this matchup? And Zero Suit Samus is because you didn't specify purples, and I thought they were one of the more important aspects of winning the mu.
red for going through side B, yellow for going thru down smash and neutral B, white for damage, blue for throw kills, and purple for u smash and throw kills, I like em all :]

I expected more RED on that list, Tin Man. :3
Old, old, old.

My apologies for not updating or discussing things in here lately, been too busy with other things to sit down and read everything.
"Other things" being preparations for the autumn semester
and Xenosaga. <<;
lol well its how I feel, sorry i guess =/

Noa.

Smash Master
Lately, I've been going through a general assessment of my skill as a player. The overall verdict seems to be something along the lines of "You have a loooooooong way to go." ^^;
Anyway, it bothered me that I didn't know which pikmin was best suited for each occasion, so I ventured out onto the scary internet. I remembered that Hilt made a thread a while back about pikmin colors, but I only found a thread by Denti that looked promising but died before anything useful was said.
</rant>

I am looking for the best and worst overall pikmin for each matchup, not just whichever pikmin is filtered out.
Please inject your opinions and provide reasons why you would make changes.

? = Uncertain
Well I'm going to revive this thread if it's all right.

The worst pikmin colors per matchup.

Diddy; yellow or red
Falco; White
Ice Climbers; Red
King DDD; Yellow
Pika; Red
Mr. G&W; Red
Tink;
ZSS;
ROB; Blue
DK; Red
Peach; White
Fox; Red
Wolf;
Pt;
Ness; White
Bowser; Blues
Lucas; Red
Ike; Red

herp derp ma derp

Why don't we just list the effectiveness of pikmin from best to worst?

AyatoK26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kaminakid
It's funny that Squirtle and Ivysaur are weak to the pikmin of their elemental weakness (yellow and red, respectively) lol.

Jane

Smash Hero
draco i disagree on yellow pikmin being the worst in the diddy matchup. they get confused for nanners a lot of the times by diddys (if youre actively trying to use their nanners that is)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Perhaps my motives behind including a "worst pikmin" column instead of just ranking the pikmin were unclear (though I'm certain it would have if a discussion on the column was started earlier).

I forgot how to explain what I mean to say. ^^;
I'll figure it out later when I'm not tired.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Perhaps my motives behind including a "worst pikmin" column instead of just ranking the pikmin were unclear (though I'm certain it would have if a discussion on the column was started earlier).

I forgot how to explain what I mean to say. ^^;
I'll figure it out later when I'm not tired.
All this talk of me being up late - you stay up just as late as I do :p

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, I'm going to take a crack at this.
I wanted the "Worst" column to include pikmin that need to be eliminated in a given match-up because they are harmful to our general play style.
Umm... Perhaps I should do an example to show what I mean.

Current System-
Luigi-
Best: Yellow, Purple
Worst: Whites

Ranking system
1-Yellow
2-Purple
3-Red
4-Blue
5-White

With the former model, we can understand that Yellows and Purples are clearly superior to the rest, reds and blues are simply mediocre, and that whites should be eliminated at all costs.

With the latter model, while it is clear that Yellows are superior to Whites, there is no indication of just how dramatic the difference is, especially when a match-up has one or three "best" pikmin.

Does any of this make sense or am I just spewing nonsense?
And I don't mind forcing Vocal to redo the graph if people want it changed to the ranking system. :3

J/k Vocal, don't be mad

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm going to take a crack at this.
I wanted the "Worst" column to include pikmin that need to be eliminated in a given match-up because they are harmful to our general play style.
Umm... Perhaps I should do an example to show what I mean.

Current System-
Luigi-
Best: Yellow, Purple
Worst: Whites

Ranking system
1-Yellow
2-Purple
3-Red
4-Blue
5-White

With the former model, we can understand that Yellows and Purples are clearly superior to the rest, reds and blues are simply mediocre, and that whites should be eliminated at all costs.

With the latter model, while it is clear that Yellows are superior to Whites, there is no indication of just how dramatic the difference is, especially when a match-up has one or three "best" pikmin.

Does any of this make sense or am I just spewing nonsense?
And I don't mind forcing Vocal to redo the graph if people want it changed to the ranking system. :3

J/k Vocal, don't be mad
Yes, makes plenty of sense, and is very sensible

And just TRY to force me to do something, i dare you ;o

Noa.

Smash Master
Except that sometimes the difference in usefulness of a color isn't that drastic. In certain matchups you can have two really useful colors, and the rest of three are basically the same amount of useful and do an ok job in the matchup.

I say that we have two coloumns, one that says very useful pikmin and one that says throw away pikmin. The only difference of the previous system is that the first one doesn't have to have 3 all the time, just as many colors as applicable. The same with the second column.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
In certain matchups you can have two really useful colors, and the rest of three are basically the same amount of useful and do an ok job in the matchup.
Umm... I'm completely confused about what you're trying to say. ^^;
A situation like that is currently displayed as it is for characters like Falco, Pikachu, DK, Fox, etc.
Two boxes are filled in for the extraordinary pikmin and the rest (including the "worst" column) are left blank to indicate that there are two incredibly useful pikmin and the rest are simply "okay" (but not bad enough to be put into the "Worst" column).

And the previous system didn't necessarily require you to put three, as I explained above. Adding a fourth pikmin color to the "good" column would be useless, as you could simply put the one bad pikmin into the "Worst" column.

I do agree that the "Worst" column needs to be redefined as "Bad pikmin" (as Hilt pointed out to me yesterday) and possibly expanded to allow two or three.
Completely forgot to put that down in my earlier post, thank you for reminding me. T_T

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You can't start something that has already started. ^^;
I'll revise the format tonight (if Vocal doesn't want to do it earlier *HINT HINT*) and post a picture of the new chart.

In the meantime, what match-ups have a set "bad" color, other than Snake, Lucario, and all of the ones with "white" currently in the worst column?

Asa

Smash Hero
just keep blues yellows and purples and you're good to go

i just toss whites off the stage cuz it's too risky to have them in your lineup most of the time

and i toss reds off cuz they're not as useful as Y B or P

Jane

Smash Hero
reds rawk. more damage for fsmashes which i do quite often to space. they do assloads of damage if you fully connect the upair, and surprise fair!

Asa

Smash Hero
blues are right behind reds in damage output

i believe most of the pikmin uairs do close to the same amount of damage

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Vocal refused to recognize my position as the dominant male, so I had to do it myself. T_T
Hilt and Draco, does this meet with your approval?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
You can't start something that has already started. ^^;
I'll revise the format tonight (if Vocal doesn't want to do it earlier *HINT HINT*) and post a picture of the new chart.
Vocal refused to recognize my position as the dominant male, so I had to do it myself. T_T
Hilt and Draco, does this meet with your approval?
You missed the part where I told everyone I was going back to school yesterday ;) I been too busy moving and buying stuff like paper towels and dish detergent for my new place, not to mention I had rehearsal this morning from 10-3.

This is the part where I start to fall off the map and people say "Where did Vocal disappear to?" Still got abt a week til classes, but it's imminent

Jane

Smash Hero
negga plz you aint falling off no map. you just wont be, like, at every point of the map anymore xD

Top Bottom