• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Breaker original thread. go to the results thread (link in here)

wtclanDOTcom

Smash Apprentice
haha im not portraying myself as anything lol. im known to be cocky ever since the days of msc since I was ranked the best in that game of all time.

I just feel excited for this tourney cause this is my first tournament im ever going to for a video game soo ya..i dont want to be cocky cause I might choke.

KingAce

Smash Ace
Ok if you really want to know. I think i got better from my first tournament by quite a bit but who knows well see today. And I faced blue shell and bardull on my previous account. I can tell you that your gonna likely see a lot of people here who could be top 15 on GB if they actually played it. dont kno anyone who mains marth around here but there seems to be a people coming to this tournament that can easily be top 15 on gb so yeah..

wtclanDOTcom

Smash Apprentice
well anyone decent can be top 15 as long as they play alot lol.

ahh w/e Ill just have to try my hardest and watever happens..happens.

*hopes for an ez opponent round 1* lol

KingAce

Smash Ace
I doubt you will get an "easy" opponent since grmo is seperating the better players in the brackets. since you never showed up im guessing your gonna probably be up against one of the better players? Sadly, im gonna probably be playing one of the better players first round too but oh well ill do my best =)

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
Finally I can go back to playing TF2.

I had enough fun at this tourney it made me visit this terrible terrible site and find this thread.

Thanks everyone, except for the scum underneath my shoe (brawl players).

KingAce

Smash Ace
yeaa it was maddd fun yeah thanks grmo n all other people helping out for putting this tournament together. Had a lot of close matches today and fun matches too, hope to see some of you guys again at the alphamale biweeklies on may 17th!

D

Deleted member

holy **** gk good ****!!!!!

dont ever let those sauga noobs tell you whats up

WIGI

Smash Champion
YO COOLHAT, DID YOU STEAL ME CONTROLER? it has tape on the baclk and its black. you used it all day but i can't find it now. =)

dun wrry i stil luvs u tho

Kjdjy

Smash Journeyman
All in all this was a hell of a lot of fun, good to finally get back out and see everyone again.

Grmo I didn't see you when I left so thanks a ton for doing this, you did a really great job running the first large-scale hybrid tournament in the GTA and I think it went really well. Thanks again to you, your parents and the rest of the staff.

Also congrats to GK for winning Brawl singles, hells yeah

Rest of shoutouts to come never, thanks to everyone I played and I'll maybe try to enter Melee next time so I can play everyone else who doesnt play brawl.

KingAce

Smash Ace
speaking of stolen controllers, my friend well colonselsandersfromspace lost a controller and it has a dent right under the c-stick and a dent right under the d-pad. if anyone took it or anything please say so cuz he spent $25 to get a new controller and now its been stolen.

Savingforever

Smash Cadet
**** that sucks about the controllers.. sorry man. yea i made sure i didnt let go of my controllers. lol.. yea that was alot of fun, even though i lost the first two matches, ha, w.e. that was my first tournie. I hope to go to more trust me. But **** some of you are soo crazy at smash. lol excited to play agains you guys again soon :)

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Alright I'm actually still at the venue right now; somehow I've gotten an internet connection and I'm on a laptop. The connection is going off and on so it's kind of annoying. Anyway, I'd just like to throw out a thank you to EVERYONE who came. Another big thank you to people who brought setups and other stuff; I really appreciate it. It was a really good tournament, and almost nothing went wrong. Overall, just a really good day. I'll edit this when I get home (shoutouts and results), but for now I've got to get back to work. Oh yes, there was a LOT of work. More on that later. All I'll say right now is...well, you can probably say goodbye to caketown. I doubt I'll host here again. Anyway, yeah, back to work. :ohwell:

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Lawl, my first post in months.

Great tournament. Good matches everyone, and congrats GK.

I want to know what place I came in...

Gichan

Smash Champion
Guys this tournament OWNED! Honestly, it was a lot of fun, my first tournament and I learned a **** load. Thanks Grmo for the opportunity and BUG I'll get you!

And if the next tournament isn't there then thank god, I hope it is somewhere more accessible or at least not a mission.

GI

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Grmo, for hosting this very sexy tourney, as well as all the staff that helped run it, run it! Thanks to everyone who came and had a good time. I was really impressed with the game play. Special thanks go out to the CoS =D good job guys!

It sucks we didn't have time for a crew battle =( next time~!

I hope to see you all soon!

P.S. MDK, PM me when you get the footage up please and thank you.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Thanks for the tournament, it was a lot of fun but it reinforced my dislike of skill-based seeding. I know seeding like that is the way to go, but it just sucks for someone like me - who lives 3 hours away, in a small town where we have a total of 6 serious smashers (amongst whom I am the best but we're all very, very close), and my only exposure to truly skilled smashers and thus my only practice against them is tournaments in big cities like this which I drive to and am then eliminated after 2 rounds of play. Since these are always so far away and I can't attend much more than like once a month, I'm left wondering how I'm supposed to get better.

Again, don't take that as anything against the tournament or the way it was ran. It was great fun, but really I guess I'm just asking how I'm supposed to get better. The same goes for the friends I play with here, we all know each other so well that we know exactly how we will all play and can't really get better like that. I went to the tourney expecting to do decently and got absolutely railed.

I guess my best bet would have been to stay for friendlies after, but it was after 8PM with a 3 hour drive home and I needed to get back at a decent time.

One thing I do want to mention; Alphameric, great match, holy ****. I was the guy playing DDD who banned Lylat and then we randomed Lylat lol -.-. I really wish I could play more games like that.

Switchblade

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tournament, it was a lot of fun but it reinforced my dislike of skill-based seeding. I know seeding like that is the way to go, but it just sucks for someone like me - who lives 3 hours away, in a small town where we have a total of 6 serious smashers (amongst whom I am the best but we're all very, very close), and my only exposure to truly skilled smashers and thus my only practice against them is tournaments in big cities like this which I drive to and am then eliminated after 2 rounds of play. Since these are always so far away and I can't attend much more than like once a month, I'm left wondering how I'm supposed to get better.

Again, don't take that as anything against the tournament or the way it was ran. It was great fun, but really I guess I'm just asking how I'm supposed to get better. The same goes for the friends I play with here, we all know each other so well that we know exactly how we will all play and can't really get better like that. I went to the tourney expecting to do decently and got absolutely railed.
no johns,

you want to get better? you suck it up and stick around the extra few hours and play as many people as possible. and CoS has about as many people as you do, yet they all seem to have done rather well. I dont know if I'm reading this right, but it really seems like you expected to go far considering this was your first tournament. let me make this clear: only with a few special exceptions, not a SINGLE person has ever gone far on ther first tournament. infact if anything, expect to get *****. I went through it, Niagra went through it, Brampton went through it and countless others that've gone through the same thing. If you dont like where you were seeded, then get better. Too lazy to do that? Then stop complaining.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
no johns,

you want to get better? you suck it up and stick around the extra few hours and play as many people as possible. and CoS has about as many people as you do, yet they all seem to have done rather well. I dont know if I'm reading this right, but it really seems like you expected to go far considering this was your first tournament. let me make this clear: only with a few special exceptions, not a SINGLE person has ever gone far on ther first tournament. infact if anything, expect to get *****. I went through it, Niagra went through it, Brampton went through it and countless others that've gone through the same thing. If you dont like where you were seeded, then get better. Too lazy to do that? Then stop complaining.
Hey man, I agree, tone it down a bit. Unfortunately there's a difference between "sucking it up" and "being so **** tired that driving on the freeway for 3 hours is suicide." Not to mention I had someone else relying on me for a ride home by a certain time. Fine, fine, no johns, anyway, the rest of my posts will be in the results thread since I meant to post that last post there anyway -.-.

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
Yes it's true, we normally do pools. However, we didn't want the FIRST BRAWL TOURNAMENT EVER to flop, so unfortunately we had to not do pools. However Melee wasn't as big as we thought, (and actually neither was Brawl), so it's possibly that we could have done pools. We'll see how things go next time. But yeah, you definitely need to come and do friendlies or else you won't get better.

You may dislike skill based seeding, but I don't really know why you told us so. Anyway, since you did, I'll tell you why we do it: because it would be far more unfair to people who have worked harder and longer than you have to get eliminated sooner than you did. Also, we need to separate all the best KNOWN players so they don't eliminate eachother right away; accuracy is necessary in tournaments. Keyword here is KNOWN; there are sometimes upsets. And really, if we seed you against someone who's known to be better, but you're actually a better player, then you'll win. If you can't beat every opponent you come across then you don't deserve to win anyway, and a bracket that did otherwise would be unfair. The simple solution is this: get better. Believe me, I used to hate skill based seeding too, but it has to happen. It's a tournament, and we need to ensure the best accuracy possible. I'll be blunt: you lost because your opponents were better than you. If you were better than them, but you had been seeded as a lower player, then you would have won. It's plain and simple. That's why we do things this way.

More bluntness: "I went to the tournament expecting to do decently and absolutely railed." That's just foolish. I appreciate you being diplomatic and not criticizing the running of the tournament, and so here is your answer. Don't let it discourage you though. Our first tournaments are always painful.

So, how to get better? You analyze your playing and figure out what you can do to beat people. You start to THINK. Getting better requires a huge amount of independence, and there are NO SHORTCUTS. So play with your friends, and challenge eachother's skill and eventually, if you have the right winning attitude and the right work ethic, you will get better. It's not a shortcut, and it's not even a guideline. It's just a start. You'll have to make yourself a better player.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Don't feel too bad about it, in my first tournament I got placed against the guy who placed top 3 in my first match, and then some other amazing player in losers bracket shortly after. There are some unlucky placements, but most of the time it is seeded very fairly. When i lost the first match against Bread-Butter, first thing i asked for was advice, and then played a few friendlies with him while waiting for our next matches. Find out who the good people are, and get advice and matches against them.

infamousGK

Smash Apprentice
Grmo

Truer words, never spoken.

I think I will add some of that speech to my sig. **** I tried to add the part about becoming a good player but it was too long =(. Well, I'll always remember you said it.

Jake- I think a few of them do. I don't because I don't have wireless. I can get you some friend codes if you want.

P.S. Listen to Chaotic and Grmo! They know their ****. Just don't ask for advice from their crew or you will get a swift kick in the ***

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
Great, awesome tourney. Worth every second of travel time, money spent, and money lost by not working.

Right now, I don't have wifi up and running, my router is being preeeetty ignorant. Soon though... soon. Then I'll PM you guys with my FC.

p.s. fear the penguin king

Top Bottom