• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo Heavy Characters left out of Wii build?

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Sup Doodz!! Im back :D ....

I continuously watch VGBootCamp's playlist of the movesets of the characters in their E3 build for the 3DS. Notice how I said 3DS? Its because while they didn't get to do that for the Wii U version, it seems there was an agreement held between MANY that played bother versions. Ken was one of the many that said it, they said that the 3ds version felt faster in a way, to quote Ken...

"Things seem to happen faster"

Odd considering the control is inferior on the 3ds obviously (which would make for possibly slower play). I agree too, it felt more finished while also being unfinished (obviously).

However, the point that I am making is that there are 3 KEY CHARACTERS that were left out of the Wii U that got to be showcased on the 3ds. (You all may now 2 of them)

Toon Link
Luigi
Sheik

Those 3 characters have some of the biggest combo potential I have seen in Smash 4. I won't make it long but I will give 3 pieces of their skill set that sticks out to me

Toon Link - His aerials chain well

Luigi- also his moves have low knockback with decent hitstun. Down-throw combos after 100%.... PM stuff

Sheik - Former melee techs along with low knockback moves and a new special that can be combed out of. also... F-throw has WAY too much hitstun, I will get a gif of it, its disgusting

check out their moveset videos here if you haven't already:

Luigi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYVxxHE-5k

Sheik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clc5U2DKzsU

Toon Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Bb8735S88

Did Sakurai intentionally put these characters with high potential in the 3ds build on purpose to hide the fact that the game will be more combo heavy like Melee? Probably not but... its a thought

Just wasting time til PoTD I guess, tell me wat you think...

P.S. Even though I feel that Smash 4 shouldn't have a complete focus on combos since that isn't all that Smash is about...I am however still very curious about it as a spectator sport and want to see it have the stuff that makes it great to play and watch. I guess that makes me a bit of hypocrite sadly... *sigh*

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It is impossible to know why Sakurai do the things he do.
I feel the need to lock any thread that tries to make any sense out of Sakurai's logic, In the end, it is a noble but ultimately futile task, to try and understand him, as Sakurai seems to always be one step in front of us and behind us at the same time.

I think that maybe those characters were left out of the wii build because they were too unstable and caused some game breaking problem in the game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't see any reason for Sakurai to hide it, Dmon. I mean, it wouldn't turn folks off of casual play and it would make the competitive crowd happy. It would be a win-win.

The demo was what it was: a demo. The 3DS version felt more complete because it was. The 3DS version was set to release first so it only makes sense that it be further along then the Wii U version.

Last edited:

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Considering that I didn't see many combos out of those characters during the matches I doubt that's the reason. I'd guess they were just the least buggy at the time of the demo.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I like the way characters are being designed in Smash 4. The characters that are supposed to have plenty of combos do, and the ones that don't seem to have other strengths that allow them to compete and compensate for their weaknesses.

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
Anyone considered that this difference in feel might be an input lag issue? Wii U is HD. HD tv's always have a bit of input lag. As far as I know, the 3DS has none. This could make the 3DS version feel more responsive, thus faster.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think it was just to give each version something different to watch. The 3DS version didn't have Rosaluma, Real Link, Zero Suit Samus, or Olimar (may be forgetting a few as well).

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I noticed this as well, but then I remembered that the Wii U version has ZSS and Rosaluma, two characters who will no doubt be comboing frequently.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't think that was done on purpose. Combo heavy really doesn't mean anything in the long run as combos can be used for all sorts of things like setups, edge carrying, damage racking, etc.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Sup Doodz!! Im back :D ....

I continuously watch VGBootCamp's playlist of the movesets of the characters in their E3 build for the 3DS. Notice how I said 3DS? Its because while they didn't get to do that for the Wii U version, it seems there was an agreement held between MANY that played bother versions. Ken was one of the many that said it, they said that the 3ds version felt faster in a way, to quote Ken...

"Things seem to happen faster"

Odd considering the control is inferior on the 3ds obviously (which would make for possibly slower play). I agree too, it felt more finished while also being unfinished (obviously).

However, the point that I am making is that there are 3 KEY CHARACTERS that were left out of the Wii U that got to be showcased on the 3ds. (You all may now 2 of them)

Toon Link
Luigi
Sheik

Those 3 characters have some of the biggest combo potential I have seen in Smash 4. I won't make it long but I will give 3 pieces of their skill set that sticks out to me

Toon Link - His aerials chain well

Luigi- also his moves have low knockback with decent hitstun. Down-throw combos after 100%.... PM stuff

Sheik - Former melee techs along with low knockback moves and a new special that can be combed out of. also... F-throw has WAY too much hitstun, I will get a gif of it, its disgusting

check out their moveset videos here if you haven't already:

Luigi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZYVxxHE-5k

Sheik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clc5U2DKzsU

Toon Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Bb8735S88

Did Sakurai intentionally put these characters with high potential in the 3ds build on purpose to hide the fact that the game will be more combo heavy like Melee? Probably not but... its a thought

Just wasting time til PoTD I guess, tell me wat you think...

P.S. Even though I feel that Smash 4 shouldn't have a complete focus on combos since that isn't all that Smash is about...I am however still very curious about it as a spectator sport and want to see it have the stuff that makes it great to play and watch. I guess that makes me a bit of hypocrite sadly... *sigh*
Sorry man but i just assumed the 3ds was just farther ahead in development in comparison to the wiiu version (witch was stated to not have as much focus till the 3ds version was complete) so i just assumed the wiiu version was slower and lagier because the 3ds was closer to completion. i assume the wiiu version will probably improve on the 3ds faults given the extra time.

D

Deleted member 245254

Anyone considered that this difference in feel might be an input lag issue? Wii U is HD. HD tv's always have a bit of input lag. As far as I know, the 3DS has none. This could make the 3DS version feel more responsive, thus faster.
This is not the answer.

@Raykz would probably have a lot to say to this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Similar to Melee, PM Luigi's D-throw grants no combos if the opponent DI's behind Luigi. His Upthrow has the same thing going on. Nothing special about PM Luigi Dthrow in that regard.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I don't think he did that there just aren't many combos it is a extention of brawl after all. This is a casual party game like he said.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't think he did that there just aren't many combos it is a extention of brawl after all. This is a casual party game like he said.
Um every single smash is a casual party game. i don't get this thought process. -.-
Plus if you have not seen any combo thread you would have seen plenty of combo string gif's and video's alike,

Last edited:
Top Bottom