• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combos?

inureface

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, as you may have guessed, I am yet another fox player from melee who's a bit saddened by how fox turned out in brawl. :confused: I'll go ahead and say that I wasn't the greatest fox player, but I definitely knew my way around shining and was on top of my aerial game. Now, I can't really use the shine to do anything except reflect crap back and occasionally mix it in after a dair. I don't know about you, but it feels like fox has to hit and run with a few moves before he gets owned because of the reduced hitstun. I can't seem to put more than a few moves together, and watching the captain falcon combo videos just made me even sadder lol. In melee, fox was my main and cfalcon was my alternative. Now I'm much better with captain falcon than fox, and I feel that is only because they did not change falcon as much as they did fox. Maybe someone can prove me wrong and show me that fox still has some *** kicking potential? Right now I feel that low damage + weak hitstun + shortrange + gimped shine = :(

OATH

Smash Apprentice
this is how i combo with fox rofl, 64 style

dair utilt dair utilt repeat

Valken

Smash Apprentice
In Brawl, with the reduced hit stun you can basically shield or mid dodge out of any combo. When you play Fox you have to, not focus on combo fast enough, but focus on how much your opponent is stunned. Try this, short hop down air, then watch how much of the drill hits. If you hit with a little of it, then don't bother trying to do anything after that. Instead, immediately after your drill, do a mid dodge. Then after that throw in a quick attack, maybe down smash. If you practice stringing your attacks together with mid dodges, you will notice that because your opponent can attack after every hit, you will hit them, dodge them, hit them. Very simple and looks very cool.

This is dependent on your opponent's speed. Some characters moves aren't as quick so you will have to time your mid dodges accordingly.

If you hit with the entire drill you can throw in a quick move before they have time to react. This is because the last hit of the drill is the most stunning. Heh heh... it's Stunning! A shine or a jab works. Also you will find that this whole system opens amazing opportunities for grabbing.

A really simple "combo" is short hop down air, mid dodge, down throw. Down throw because it puts you in the best position for another short hop down air.

And btw, Shinespike is still in. You just have to double shine. Unless you can shine then ledge guard. Most characters can be Shinespiked easier than you think. In brawl you usually NEED two shines to do the job, but it's easier to get the shine cuz of the floatiness of brawl. Aside from Pit and Meta, i'm pretty sure all characters can be killed with double shine ledge hog. Don't quote me on this.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
The only time can down smash after down air is if you land the end of the drill. Only then will they be stunned enough. Like I said. Purposely giving your opponent the ability to attack is a great strategy. Land the beginning of a down air and not the end. Then immediately down dodge. If you plan when they attack, you can plan how you attack.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I am thinking, maybe someone could do a post that contains different combos with fox and tactics used to approach and combo with fox, also with reactions against attacks from different characters, I am thinking in something like a comprehensive guide that shows how to "fight" when using fox, and against "x" character

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I don't know that you could accurately make a guide for that. All though the characters have suggested play styles and move sets, it changes from player to player. The most that could be written about it are suggestions.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I actually like Fox better in Brawl, but then I hated him in Melee so wtheck.

I'll have to keep these combos in mind...

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
At this point Fox does appear to be nerfed but I do think he has plenty of potential and I really enjoy playing him.

My suggestion would be to play who you feel best with. Give everyone a try again because you never know who will fit. I came to Brawl as a Pika main in Melee, switched to Wolf because I thought he was cool but it was Fox who won me over when I finally played him :-)

GL!

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
dair to usmash? Interesting. I've never tried that. I will for sure. I'm sure it racks up damage more quickly than the dtilt to usmash.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you just have to watch where you land on them. In my opinion, I think Fox's dair is going to be one of his main combo openers. It's simply too handy this time around. :)

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
Dair to shine to dash to dsmash

(low %) dsmash to dash to SHDair to upsmash

(low %) dsmash to nair to dtilt to utilt to usmash

(low %) fsmash to dash to utilt to SHUair

(high %) dash to usmash

(high %) nair (purposly miss, bit infront) dash usmash

these are just a few I use, it honestly depends so much on % and the character.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I'm glad to see the constant use of the dash this time around. I felt like such a n00b in Melee for never crouch canceling my dashes. The dash is a good immobilizer for sure though.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
I think Foxtrotting is a key technique and when coupled with buffering and autocancelling it is possible to speed up gameplay and overall control a lot.

There is some cool stuff you can do, like a SHDL into a buffered dash (no lag) followed by a Nair into another buffered dash attack, and maybe follow up with an U-smash if your opponent is in the kill range. This is a situational combo like many others but if you properly autocancel your lag and buffer it can be pulled of extremely quickly thanks to the quick moves.

I have personally found buffering to speed up my gameplay immensely, I don't know if anyone has screwed around with it that much though - it seemed to help me.

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
What exactly does "buffering" mean? I've heard some many times before, and I never actually knew what it meant.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
As far as I can tell it's basically just giving a command before it can be carried out. The new game system seems to remember it for a bit and complete it as soon as it is possible. The easiest way to try it out is probably just to short hop and give a dash command before you hit the ground and your character will the land and dash quite quickly.

The timing takes practice and it seems to be different for everything. To be honest I haven't figured it out to much and I suppose it really only eliminates human error by you not initiating a move at the earliest possible time, but when it's coupled with autocancelling it can be quite useful.

Hope that helps!

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah. I think he may be moved to 2nd tier, but he will definitely still be a character to reckon with. I mean, projectiles, shines, great recovery, speed, and good smashes. No problem maining him.

Top Bottom