• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Come On!!!!!!!

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
ok people ,there is a serious lackedge of post on the yoshi boards.the yoshi players are a dieing race.ask questions, do somthing. and while we are on the subject i do major SD's by doing things like djc off the edge or failed ledge hop eggs , and the classic wavedish so does anyone have anytips to help me get out of these habbits?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Everybody plays Fox now; if you find a way to turn Yoshi into Fox, I'm sure people will start posting here.

In response to your dilemma, those are all solved by lots and lots of practice both in tournament and out with the same controller on many different stages. It has taken me years to learn how to not kill myself and it's possible to screw up even still. As simple as the answer is, practice and lots of it is how you solve that problem.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
why don't people listen to me i said this was happening for about everyone. roy, pichu, ness, peach ,yoshi and Zelda and maybe someone else and i play as about everyone (even yoshi) so don't blame me. put a yoshi AD on tv or something (make him look bada**)

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I'll pick him up then; no one dies unless I ring the bell for myself...

I'll get some videos in probably this weekened then. I wan't Roy to. I was thinking about him at school today.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
warning daydreaming about guys is sometimes called gay. just messing with you i daydream about grabs and d-smashes (pichu and ice climbers) for the ice climbers i sometimes think about SH bair on fox and sometimes i think about pichu's nair on gannon.

hey random something something or whatever i can't think of a good random party in the yoshi boards

to make yoshi cool make him rip a head off of fox or something

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
mabye if i train 24/7 ill be able to put yoshi higher on the tier list and everyone will be like ''O M G you are so pwnsause,when i play you i have ooz coming out of my ears because i got raged so bad!!!! =0

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
Playing Yoshi is amazingly fun. Thanks to his uber-akward second jump/shield that ignore Melee's expected physics, you can surprise/kill some great players (assuming you're still not killing yourself because of that same akwardness).

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Sorry to break it to ya but Yoshi's placing on the tier list is about right.

I still break him out in tourneys against marths, sheiks, peaches, occasionally falcons and other characters you don't see too often. Against spacies though it's so hard, the decent ones can be beat but If I face the top spacies players in the region (Remen, Zgetto, Adam to name a few) its really a done deal with the insane pressure they have and no out of shield game for you.

And even then the other high tiers have so much over Yoshi as well so usually I just have to pick fox and use Yoshi as a counterpick on something like Mute City. Really the only matchup Im comfortable with to go 100% Yoshi is Marth and sheiks (although we've got so many great sheiks here >_<).

Playing Yoshi is perhaps more fun if you play someone who is just decent with high tiers, but if you keep getting destroyed by foxes and falcos, well eventually it lead me to pick up fox as well >_<

.Marik

is a social misfit
I really need to start playing Melee again. >_>

And yes, I main Yoshi in both Melee and Brawl. :yoshi:

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Yeah, Mind Trick is right. Today I was G&W and it's just to much effort to try to win. Spacies are not hard for me, it's Ganon that's the problem. What did I do for the rest of the matches? I went to my second main; FOX so I wouldn't let my crew down.

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to break it to ya but Yoshi's placing on the tier list is about right.

I still break him out in tourneys against marths, sheiks, peaches, occasionally falcons and other characters you don't see too often. Against spacies though it's so hard, the decent ones can be beat but If I face the top spacies players in the region (Remen, Zgetto, Adam to name a few) its really a done deal with the insane pressure they have and no out of shield game for you.

And even then the other high tiers have so much over Yoshi as well so usually I just have to pick fox and use Yoshi as a counterpick on something like Mute City. Really the only matchup Im comfortable with to go 100% Yoshi is Marth and sheiks (although we've got so many great sheiks here >_<).

Playing Yoshi is perhaps more fun if you play someone who is just decent with high tiers, but if you keep getting destroyed by foxes and falcos, well eventually it lead me to pick up fox as well >_<
dude wtf are you talking about i say yoshi isnt bottom, i would defenetly it get if he was low tier because he's not that good. my yoshi personally does better against the spacies than marth and i would also use yoshi as a counter pick on dreamland becuase fox's best move is up smash and its now that good due to the high celling and yoshi does well because he is 5th heaviest in the game so he will survive much longer and his d-smash hit you at a freaking demon angle

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
dude wtf are you talking about i say yoshi isnt bottom, i would defenetly it get if he was low tier because he's not that good. my yoshi personally does better against the spacies than marth and i would also use yoshi as a counter pick on dreamland becuase fox's best move is up smash and its now that good due to the high celling and yoshi does well because he is 5th heaviest in the game so he will survive much longer and his d-smash hit you at a freaking demon angle
well he isn't bottom... at least where im from:
Official PAL Tier List (Melee)
Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo
IN NTSC though doesnt sheik have like an infinite CG on him?

I agree with you that DL64 is generally a good stage for yoshi because he has good survivabilty, but also know that in teh case of fox this opens up a can of spam, with all the places he can run too and platforms he can hop on and off from, so Id definitely CP mute city against foxes. And falco... well, all he needs to do is spamspamspam and if you shield the shinerape can begin :/

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Haha, mind trick where on earth did THAT tier list come from? Dsty's is the one I've always seen.

It's definitely the sheildgame that got Yoshi so down there - probably a little bit of gimpability against a good marth too, yeah? - all it takes is a wall of moves and Yoshi's stuck in his egg or getting kicked in the face.

Otherwise, he's a strong character - and one of my favorite choices for nub teams, yeah?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah, Mind Trick is right. Today I was G&W and it's just to much effort to try to win. Spacies are not hard for me, it's Ganon that's the problem. What did I do for the rest of the matches? I went to my second main; FOX so I wouldn't let my crew down.
Ganon IS hard. His aerials are too good for your shield. Like one hit from any aerial leaves your shield too small to protect you from a midsummer afternoon breeze. And lightshielding is a pain.

You just have to fair/fsmash space and somehow grab him without getting jabbed.

Oh and @ rustedfencepost: learn2grammar

The Phenom

Smash Lord
WOOT! 0_0 WOOT! I beat a freakin hArd Falco on Saturday and won!!! My heart was pounding hard but it waaaas so intense and fun! Light shielding really helped me + as a mindgame to =D.

My yoshi did great to. I did some sexy combos but only recorded a Smexy G&W Combo for my Combo video. More Yoshi will follow after the combo video k. 2009 is G&W's year lol!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey i just 3 stocked my brother's captain Falcon with the yoshi and he was telling me how pokemon stadium is yoshi's best stage, freakin upair. phenom if you get good good reviews from the G&W vid you should make a mutli person combo video

The Phenom

Smash Lord
I will get good reviews; I think that's a good proposal. I'll be going to College soon so getting footage from other G&W guys would be great if I decide on making another featuring us.

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
try not to stay in the air after djc's.and more wave lands/ledges.ledge hop wave land back is freaking awesome. oh and dont use tooo many grabs.there ok but yoshi has a terrible grab and just askes for punishment.ledge hop eggs are not a good idea for edge gaurding.the ledge hop waveland back would be better because if you get hit you will still have your second jump

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
Magic portals? What do you mean?
I simply mean video links, silly lol

try not to stay in the air after djc's.and more wave lands/ledges.ledge hop wave land back is freaking awesome. oh and dont use tooo many grabs.there ok but yoshi has a terrible grab and just askes for punishment.ledge hop eggs are not a good idea for edge gaurding.the ledge hop waveland back would be better because if you get hit you will still have your second jump
I don't know why I was so grabby :dizzy: And as far as the ledge hop eggs, lol I was trying to be like Fumi. He's my Yoshi hero, then again, he's probably every Yoshi player's hero. Thanks for the tips. I'll upload more matches as they come. I <3 Yoshi.

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
You seem to have the djc neutral airs down pretty good, that part took me a while. You use your fsmash too often/randomly though, you should use it as punishment for a badly spaced move instead (badly spaced being only hitting Yoshi's head, which the fsmash rears back a few dimensions). You should also start wavelanding on platforms out of your second jump to cover distance, which I'm sure you've seen Fumi do plenty of times :)

Opfer

Smash Cadet
Hey, just wanted to say that Melee's got me back, there's no way I'll ever play Brawl again after seeing what it did to my Melee skills...

Anyways, I'm still trying to get back in shape, so I guess you won't see too much from me anytime soon. Also, there were like 0 tourneys in my area when Melee was big, so now, that nobody plays Melee anymore, there's probably -1 of them or something like that. So, if anything, I'll maybe post a video or two of me playing my brother and cousins.

On looshkins videos, I never faced a really good Link so I don't know for sure, but I'd say more eggs would probably be a good idea. Also, supershield is usually superior to ground-dodging, although it's harder. Everything else seemed pretty solid.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Yoshi's Light shield is the best in the game out of all light shielding!

Nice to hear Melee is what you favor over the other smash: so do I. It's sad to hear that there are no tournies in your area ='(

ooh yeah! Try moonwalk to egg!!! its amazing!

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Maybe it's just me but I thought Mango said he was going to put out some movies of his Yoshi a while back... >_>

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Mang0 is always serious, in fact, he's probably the most serious person I know.

rustedfencepost

Smash Apprentice
mango did make a few vids of matches, one of my friends knows him and he showed me a vid.....and i dont know if it was just those matches but they wernt that good.....srry mango i try to mean no offence

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to a tournament tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'll try and get some vids of my Yoshi, though I don't know if he's ready for a tournament match <_<
I'll have to ask him. I'll break the news over dinner with him.

Top Bottom