• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
that happens on dreamland, when the tree's eyes blink after it blows wind

it can happen with his dash attack as well, not sure about other moves

keeper

Smash Champion
that happens on dreamland, when the tree's eyes blink after it blows wind

it can happen with his dash attack as well, not sure about other moves
Yeah, I saw that once. Probably one of the strangest quirks in the game, in my opinion.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i'm pretty sure that only happens on dream land and green greens

it happens with a lot of his moves

i think it only happens when the wind is blowing. go figure.

if magus could explain this one i would be very happy

Eggz

Smash Hero
Fox can ledgedash through Bowser's firebreath if he has invincibility on the ledge and you do it gud.

This means Fox can ledgedash rly ****in fast and sneak usmashes or shines or whatever

Virusbluemage

Banned via Warnings
Marth and Roy can cancel their down tilt using pretty much everything except for shield.

if you push roy off the stage while hes almost done with his neutral b it still explodes in the air. so its not the impact that makes it explode its just the sword!!

EDIT: on mk II or yoshis island, if youre right next to someone at low percent on the blocks, you can combo dsmash shine bair with falco. the dsmash hits them and get rid of the blocks and as soon as it does just shine bair.

Magus420

Smash Master
Green CF is the largest color of CF. Normal CF is the smallest.

Normal 1088
White .1096
Blue ..1097
Red ...1099
Black .1100
Green .1102

Pick neutral color Falcon and go to Princess Peaches Castle. Get on the little left ledge in the middle facing right. Now spam dsmashes and he should fall off after 2 or 3. Do this with any other color and you'll see that he never falls off.

Magus420

Smash Master
He's the same size as far as hitboxes/hurtboxes go, but when bumping into walls and stuff (that orange diamond) he's the largest by a very small amount. I don't know of any besides that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other color differences for some characters.

Vanill4

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I saw that once. Probably one of the strangest quirks in the game, in my opinion.
It's funny that you've only seen it once. I guess you don't play many Marths in friendlies? I play my friend's Marth for hours on end and it happens pretty often. Or at least, often enough that we're not surprised by it anymore. It's either a laugh out loud or *facepalm* situation, depending on how the matches are going at the time.

I'm not pro enough to contribute too much interesting information, but I play enough to glitch through stages! I'm sure people know you can fall through Seel on Poke Floats (most famously M2K vs. Bum), and Corneria (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUyKiiKCJQ0#t=5m42s). But it can also happen on Pokemon Stadium, and I haven't seen this myself since 2006. I've seen it happen more often on Poke Floats and Corneria personally, despite playing these stages far less than stadium in friendlies. I found the following video, though I remember it slightly differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UtmFlNwi34

As I remember it was to the right of the tree, and didn't happen during a transformation. But hey, I didn't play the game too seriously back then, and my memory is iffy, so if someone says "it's known that you fall through PS only while fire phase is transforming to neutral," they're probably right.

Steelia

Smash Champion
When used on an opponent clinging to the edge of a stage, Luigi's taunt acts as an incredibly powerful-knockback spike.

True story.

keeper

Smash Champion
It's funny that you've only seen it once. I guess you don't play many Marths in friendlies? I play my friend's Marth for hours on end and it happens pretty often. Or at least, often enough that we're not surprised by it anymore. It's either a laugh out loud or *facepalm* situation, depending on how the matches are going at the time.
I've never experienced it, I saw it in a gif once. I don't play Marth nor does really anyone I play against.

However, I've had "slot-******" happen to me/I did it to someone at least 3 times now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5JZOTCisY
It's at 1:03, I forgot how to link to specific times.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i fell through a collapsed tree on pokemon stadium one time.

the tree stage was over but the two edges of part of the tree were still on the ground so i did an edge cancel dair on it to be cool but fell through the stage and died. this was in tournament (against hugs) and i was at 5%, it probably cost be the match

one time me and ka master both spiked each other at the same time with falcon lol. i didnt know it was possible until then

Pi

Smash Hero
a lot of this isn't really common but hey, no complaints I love learning a bunch of silly **** lol

here's some samus **** i bet some people don't know;

Super Wave Dash has nothing to do with Wave Dashing.
Her extended grapple hook will not grab an opponent if you do not press A while it's hitbox is out and touching their hurtbox.
To home the grapple, you must be holding L.
In order to extend the grapple you must grab, hit up, then down, then up on the D pad (taunt), then A or Z again before the grapple's hitbox dissapears (I think?)

keeper

Smash Champion
In order to extend the grapple you must grab, hit up, then down, then up on the D pad (taunt), then A or Z again before the grapple's hitbox dissapears (I think?)
Z->[Before it comes out] up-down-up-z(?)->yep.

I don't know that the second Z is necessary, but I do it anyway. I just checked out Smashwiki the other day, but oh well.

Homing Grapple can't pull directly through platforms, but can pull off.

keeper

Smash Champion
Does anyone in the PAL version even use his Fair? I know over here it's like "Oh, he messed up and did Fox's fair..."

Tero.

Smash Champion
Fox Up-B is shorter in PAL.
Also Marth is lighter in PAL so he does fall from the shine thus he can't be waveshine grabbed/usmashed.

Could we please sticky the PAL/NTSC changes topic again? I'm tired of explaining this stuff all the time.

keeper

Smash Champion
Fox Up-B is shorter in PAL.
Also Marth is lighter in PAL so he does fall from the shine thus he can't be waveshine grabbed/usmashed.

Could we please sticky the PAL/NTSC changes topic again? I'm tired of explaining this stuff all the time.
Why would it be unstickied? That's just silly to whoever did it.

Also: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Version_differences_(SSBM)
Edit: Haha, nice, Tamoo. Nearly same time post, and it messed up the parenthesis on yours (it did it to mine too, I just fixed it super quick :S).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the changes thread is unavailable, permanently.

it was made by 5150 who, after massively trolling the boards and getting banned on multiple accounts, had his account turned invisible. That means all his posts vanish and all he can do is browse the boards.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Lol!
Cba to fix mine ;)

Also, there are TOO MANY STICKYS
10 i think, it's rediculous, I hate having to scroll tonnes, there should just be a thread linking to all these stickies

keeper

Smash Champion
the changes thread is unavailable, permanently.

it was made by 5150 who, after massively trolling the boards and getting banned on multiple accounts, had his account turned invisible. That means all his posts vanish and all he can do is browse the boards.
That's pretty extreme.

Lol!
Cba to fix mine ;)

Also, there are TOO MANY STICKYS
10 i think, it's rediculous, I hate having to scroll tonnes, there should just be a thread linking to all these stickies
Maybe a drop-down menu like the boards have?

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
This thread is godly.

Umm I can't say I have anything to add other than;
Captain Falcon on Peach's Castle... if you go to the ledges on the side of the center platform and Dsmash, depending on what color Falcon you selected, he will cancel his Dsmash quickly, slowly, or fall off the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwEjg5KbdOs

Tamoo

Smash Master
Green CF is the largest color of CF. Normal CF is the smallest.

Normal 1088
White .1096
Blue ..1097
Red ...1099
Black .1100
Green .1102

This thread is godly.

Umm I can't say I have anything to add other than;
Captain Falcon on Peach's Castle... if you go to the ledges on the side of the center platform and Dsmash, depending on what color Falcon you selected, he will cancel his Dsmash quickly, slowly, or fall off the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwEjg5KbdOs
already been covered in this very thread lol

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
some knowledge I know to share:

- If shiek DI's towards marth from f throw (I think under 60%) marth can up tilt :D

me and Ice discovered this last week when we was playing a friendly, I did it randomly when losing haha

- instant light shield edgeguard against marth, using the c stick and r to roll, then holding z and diagonal towards the edge on the analogue (works with fox/falco only..falcon doesn't grab the edge as fast)
fox/falco's back will be facing towards the edge after the roll.

If the marth doesn't sweetspot 100% (HARD) or do a spaced recovery (so that it doesn't hit the shield) he will die :D

- yoshi has the easiest full waveland in the game (try it after double jumping, its so easy rofl)

- bowser has a long full waveland

- falcon has a very easy dj full waveland on dreamland platforms

- falcon from the edge, can jump onto the stage, waveland back off the edge then dj and full waveland on some stage's platforms like dreamland, battlefield and yoshi story

- falcon running off the side platforms on yoshi story can DJ and edge cancel on the mid yoshi story platform

- a non sweetspot knee is usually good enough to kill fox/falco

- some moves like marths fsmash/dtilt, falcons up tilt, fox/falcos fsmash/dsmash hit under the edge because of the hitboxes (therefore a tech must also be inputted, a sweetspot can still be hit)

- double shine with fox is a great way to gimp, it sends them at an awkward angle which is lower than a normal shine, usually if a fox stall on the edge after there is not much they can do

- All characters can moonwalk (mostly from walking) this is old I know

- Fox's firefox stall is fully invincible if done in 1F? I believe this is true as m2k proved this on brinstar with the lava? I use it all the time to edgeguard and it's ****

- Falco's illusion stall on the edge is 1F to input, its as ridiculous as Coin Cancel

- Coin Cancel, Dr Mario's Up+B can be cancelled by pressing down instantly after using it (1 Frame), this can even be done out of shield. Bullet Bill from the UK does this haha

- Roy can chaingrab just like marth
- Pikachu can chaingrab fast fallers
- Dr Mario/Mario/Ice Climbers/Ganondorf can all chaingrab shiek
- Ganondorf can chaingrab all characters up to certain % even jigglypuff ( but still **** against her :( )
(there's prob threads about this somewhere on smashboards)

- Kirby with falco's lasers is too good, short hop double laser

- Link/Y Link can drop their bombs on the floor/platform without them exploding if you time the Z drop
- There is a glitch with Link/Y Link's bombs where if you put a place bomb upside down on a floor/platform, then put another bomb on top of it, the bomb will slide in a certain direction..even across the stage (its hillarious)

- Yoshi's egg stalling is fully invincible if timed perfectly?

- Captain falcon has weird attacks when you time his air raptor boost and falcon kick just before landing (the falcon kick has a pathetic hit, like a jab) it sort of cancels them

- Nana will automatically always throw offstage when she grabs by the edge
- Wobble's chaingrab (if you don't know what it is look it up)

Jab -> Blizzard -> D throw -> Grab ->F Throw -> Grab -> Repeat

- Fox/Falco's dash attack hitbox allows it to beat marths f air if used from under marth, the move also comes out a lot faster

- Jigglypuffs fastest option to grab the edge is similar to brawl, if you run off the edge then press UP+B without jumping it'll grab the edge by sing cancelling.

The way I learnt to do this is mentally to press B before Up, its very hard to explain :p but I feel that if you press up before b then you'll jump..but if you aim to press B first then you'll have a much better chance lol. This is very practical, after grabbing the edge if they're high enough you can b air them, if they air dodge that you can grab the edge before they reach it. Another use is taking the edge quickly so they die while trying to sweetspot, and the last use is against chars that are forced on stage like shiek/marth, YOU CAN REST THEM AFTER :D

- Jigglypuffs n air can hit through marth's up b sometimes :D

- If you falcon punch of top of pokemon stadium's mountain by the edge you will kill yourself
same with other things like jabs on the bottom of the mountain XD so many falcons have been victims including me, JUST DONT GO DOWN THERE

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
kirby w/ falco's lasers can only do SHDL

also, you don't have to be frame perfect to drop bombs onto the ground.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
- Coin Cancel, Dr Mario's Up+B can be cancelled by pressing down instantly after using it (1 Frame), this can even be done out of shield.
Actually, there's a bit more to it that I'll save Dogy from explaining again.

*rolls eyes* Here's something that alot of people dont realize about up+b canceling (i had to go look through like, 3 year old threads to find this)

It's actually 3 inputs, not 2.

__
*closes photoshop* screw it, fighting game notation.

Quick crash course. *Points to keyboard* with respect to player 1 side, 5 = neutral. I'll say left and right instead of down and back

So
1 = downleft,
2 = down,
3 = downright,
4 = left,
5 = neutral,
6 = right,
7 = upleft,
8 = up,
9 = upright

looks like this
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3
___

Ok, most people say up+b cancelling is a 2 input command, as in, you do up+b in one direction (7 (upleft) for example), and on frame four, you have to press 3(downright).

Up+a direction, down + opposite direction.

What got lost in translation over time is the fact that you cant ever pass through neutral while doing this (or it's recommended that you dont)

The actual input for this is

1) up+one direction (left)
2) down+THE SAME DIRECTION**(left)
3) down+the opposite direction.

** The same direction being the key part. If you go through the middle (which is what you do if you go in a straight line), you run the risk of going the opposite direction first too early, and you just up+bing the other direction instead of up+b cancelling.

It's actually talked about in alot of old, dead threads (i read one of super doodle man's posts specifically), but it just got lost in translation over time.

___

TL;DR

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3 < that's your analog stick

You guys are doing this

7 8 9
5 6
1 2
3 < THIS **** IS ASKING FOR FAILURE.

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3 < DO THIS ONE INSTEAD.

X1-12

Smash Champion
ledgejumps (pressing y or x on the ledge) are slightly different below 100 and above 100. besides usually being slower, in falcon's case, his >100 ledgejump goes slightly higher. you can see this by ledgejumping on kongo jungle over 100 (and holding anything except forward) and perfect landing on the platform, where ledgejumping under 100 you don't get to the platform

the animations are also different, try it with mario and its really obvious

Top Bottom