• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Comparison of the 3 most probable mario reps.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Geno was in 1 game... 1!!!!!!!!!! as much as i like him (yes i did play super mario rpg) he will not make it. He has almost no fan base outside of smashboards and frankly he just will not be in anything in the future. Now u may make this argument and say "well what about IC and G&W" well both are the CONTROLABLE PROTAGONISTS in each of there respective games. Geno fans, you screaming for him does nothing to alter Sakuri's thinking.
Saying he has no fanbase out of Smashboards is a lie, because I knew of his support a long time before I got to Smashboards...

Besides, Sakurai never stated a character had to be in a lot of games, that's just a fan made rule...

Being in a lot of games helps a character's chances.

A character with single game importance has lowered chances, while a character with series importance has increased chances.

Cinder

Smash Master
Geno was in 1 game... 1!!!!!!!!!!
*looks at rest of quote*...gotta say it...ICs say hi...

as much as i like him (yes i did play super mario rpg) he will not make it.
Oh, I had no clue we had inside information...

He has almost no fan base outside of smashboards and frankly he just will not be in anything in the future.
*looks at Sakurai's poll*...oh, and once again...I didn't know we had inside info...

Now u may make this argument and say "well what about IC and G&W" well both are the CONTROLABLE PROTAGONISTS in each of there respective games.
And Geno was a NPC? He wasn't even close to being a protagonist? I rest my case...

Geno fans, you screaming for him does nothing to alter Sakuri's thinking.
And you saying he isn't in does?

Y'know...posts like this really piss me off...you know why? Because of these two lines:

So-and-so isn't gonna be in
So-and-so HAS to be in
Y'know why these lines piss me off? Because you little ***holes come in so confident and adamant about your OPINIONS that you have to pass them off as facts...you don't know...you're not working on the game, and you're not Sakurai...you're not the ones making the decisions...STOP ACTING LIKE IT'S A ****ING FACT!! Who expected Pokemon Trainer? It's obvious Sakurai's mindgaming us...he could put Geno, PM, BJ, or God only knows who else in...we can't predict him, and it pisses me to no end when people come in and act like they know this stuff for fact, when in reality, they're basing it on biased opinions...granted, we have characters we support and dislike, but Sakurai's not gonna pay attention to it...he does what HE feels is right, not what people want him to do...I don't give a **** if you don't think Geno or anyone else should be in, but there is the chance that he will...stop trying to act like you're all-knowing...you don't know any more than the rest of us...
[/rant]

I'm not going to argue Geno right now...

...But Ice Climbers being the sole main characters of one of the earliest Nintendo games, and being one of the earliest created characters in Brawl, is more significant than Geno being A main character in one game.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
*looks at rest of quote*...gotta say it...ICs say hi...
I really hate this reasoning. You're looking at the Ice Climbers inclusion in a very, very general manner. If you were to look closer you'd see we have two entirely different circumstances in these instances. On one hand we have the Ice Climbers, who are not only the protagonists of their game, but the "figureheads" of their franchise. On the other hand, we have the Mario franchise, which has released countless games across numerous consoles, and is the most recognized video game franchise of all time. There are also a vast number of characters that make up this franchise. The fact that Geno is in one game of this massive, extremely well-known franchise does lower his chances. Yes, he played an important role in that game, but the fact remains.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Geno, I loved SMRPG, and I'd love to see him in Brawl, but you have to realize that his one appearance does hurt his chances a little. It doesn't completely destroy his chances, but it does hurt them.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
I really hate this reasoning. You're looking at the Ice Climbers inclusion in a very, very general manner. If you were to look closer you'd see we have two entirely different circumstances in these instances. On one hand we have the Ice Climbers, who are not only the protagonists of their game, but the "figureheads" of their franchise. On the other hand, we have the Mario franchise, which has released countless games across numerous consoles, and is the most recognized video game franchise of all time. There are also a vast number of characters that make up this franchise. The fact that Geno is in one game of this massive, extremely well-known franchise does lower his chances. Yes, he played an important role in that game, but the fact remains.
4 mentions on Sakurais journal isnt enough. Also go to the Geno thread. Finally, Ness says hi.

Ness says hi. Besides Geno was technically in two. He made a cameo in Partners in time.
1. Superstar Saga.

2. That's not an appearance. That's a cameo, and it wasn't actually him.

3. Ness was the most recent star in the EarthBound series, and created by a friend of Sakurai's, both of whom work (or worked) for HAL, the developer of EarthBound.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
4 mentions on Sakurais journal isnt enough. Also go to the Geno thread. Finally, Ness says hi.
Check the edit. I never said his one appearance (excluding the cameo) would completely destroy his chances, it merely hurts them.

And need I remind you that we had the same case with Ness as we have with the Ice Climbers. If I remember correctly, around the time of Ness' inclusion (which was around 1999, 64's release date), the Earthbound franchise only had a scarce few games. Again, Ness was the protagonist of the most recent game and sort of a "figurehead" for the franchise, like the Ice Climbers, and unlike Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1. Superstar Saga.

3. Ness was the most recent star in the EarthBound series, and created by a friend of Sakurai's, both of whom work (or worked) for HAL, the developer of EarthBound.
How the hell is a cameo not an appearance...The word Appearance means, appearing in...

Since he was in it as a cameo, he appeared in it

Nitesever

Smash Cadet
Not that I'm against Geno, but an exception to the rule does not change the ratio in which that character is held. There are more characters in melee with multiple appearances than those with only a single one. Therefore, the likelihood of a character with a single appearance is less than that of a character with multiple appearances.

How the hell is a cameo not an appearance...The word Appearance means, appearing in...

Since he was in it as a cameo, he appeared in it
Fine, he made a minuscule appearance.

However, if you were to ask about all the games Mario appears in, you wouldn't think of OoT because it's a minor, out-of-the-way thing.

Cinder

Smash Master
Cameo=appearance...and yes, it was Geno...it wasn't the spirit that inhabited him, but it was Geno, the doll...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/lucas.html
Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't know there was a Mother 4...[/sarcasm]

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
Since you Geno haters are too ignorant too look at the Geno thread, I brought one of the arguements that McFox brought up.

"He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot. "

Cameo=appearance...and yes, it was Geno...it wasn't the spirit that inhabited him, but it was Geno, the doll...

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/lucas.html
Oh, I'm sorry...I didn't know there was a Mother 4...[/sarcasm]

Wow, you're pretty daft.

1. A Geno doll. Wow. That's as significant as the Bowser pendant Malon has.

2. Wow. We're talking about SSB. Ness got in for being the latest star in the series. And when SSBM rolled around, Lucas was going to take his place, but the cancellation forced them to use Ness again. When M3 came out, they put in Lucas. Ness got into Melee for the sole reason that he was the only good EB rep.

And on the subject of IC versus Geno, Geno was a main character in one third party, Nintendo-published game in the Mario series. IC are one of Nintendo's earliest characters in one of Nintendo's earliest games. The one defining factor that sets them apart is their creators.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman

Wow, you're pretty daft.

1. A Geno doll. Wow. That's as significant as the Bowser pendant Malon has.

2. Wow. We're talking about SSB. Ness got in for being the latest star in the series. And when SSBM rolled around, Lucas was going to take his place, but the cancellation forced them to use Ness again. When M3 came out, they put in Lucas. Ness got into Melee for the sole reason that he was the only good EB rep.

And on the subject of IC versus Geno, Geno was a main character in one third party, Nintendo-published game in the Mario series. IC are one of Nintendo's earliest characters in one of Nintendo's earliest games. The one defining factor that sets them apart is their creators.

1. Its shows that SE is willing to let Nintendo use Geno or Mallow.

2. Because Lucas's game got delayed. Also my point for Ness was he was only in one game. Geno is actually had the most important motive in SMRPG. He wanted to repair Star Road, stop Smithy, and help save Mushroom Kingdom along with Mario.

3. Geno is more popular than IC. Thats is what your not getting. Geno has an expansive fanbase, 4 mentions on Sakurai's journal, was suggested in the Melee polls, and is a unique character.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Since you Geno haters are too ignorant too look at the Geno thread, I brought one of the arguements that McFox brought up.

"He's only been in two games

This is about as effective as “No one knows who he is”, probably the dumbest of the arguments against Geno. The Ice climbers have only been in ONE game and they made it in. Sure they’re retro, but the SNES (which is where Geno made is first appearance in Super Mario RPG) is on the borderline of being retro, if it hasn’t already. Once again, it shows that it doesn’t matter how many games the character has been in, if enough people have heard of him that they will voice significantly that he should be in Brawl, well then ****it, he should be a contender for a spot. "
First of all, I'm not a Geno hater, I think I already went over that. In fact I don't see many Geno "haters" (per se), in this thread. Secondly, the argument that you put forth has already been refuted several times on the previous page, but I'll do so again for your sake.

Geno is a potential character for Brawl, Ness was included in 64 and the ICs in Melee. Around the time of 64 (Ness' inclusion), there were very few Earthbound games. Ness was the most recent protagonist of his franchise, and seen as a figurehead of the franchise by some. Now, at this time we haven't had a confirmation on Ness, his franchise has grown, and more characters have been introduced. The only way he's going to return is if Sakurai decides to keep all the 64 characters in out of "tradition." We have the same case with the ICs, except their franchise hasn't expanded at all. They may have only starred in one game, though again, they are the figureheads of their franchise. Now, Geno is being considered for Brawl, but since SMRPG the Mario franchise has grown into the most recognized of all video game franchises, and has released countless games. That does hurt his chances, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

IkexMarth

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I'm not a Geno hater, I think I already went over that. In fact I don't see many Geno "haters" (per se), in this thread. Secondly, the argument that you put forth has already been refuted several times on the previous page, but I'll do so again for your sake.

Geno is a potential character for Brawl, Ness was included in 64 and the ICs in Melee. Around the time of 64 (Ness' inclusion), there were very few Earthbound games. Ness was the most recent protagonist of his franchise, and seen as a figurehead of the franchise by some. Now, at this time we haven't had a confirmation on Ness, his franchise has grown, and more characters have been introduced. The only way he's going to return is if Sakurai decides to keep all the 64 characters in out of "tradition." We have the same case with the ICs, except their franchise hasn't expanded at all. They may have only starred in one game, though again, they are the figureheads of their franchise. Now, Geno is being considered for Brawl, but since SMRPG the Mario franchise has grown into the most recognized of all video game franchises, and has released countless games. That does hurt his chances, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.
Rumours are going around that there is a sequel for SMRPG on the DS.]
Sorry if I sounded rude with the "Geno haters"

Cinder

Smash Master
I think both he and I already explained this. At the time of Ness' inclusion, which was a bit before 64's release date (around 1998/1999), there was only a one or two Earthbound games, and Ness was the most recent character/protagonist.
I'm sorry...I'm obviously too unintelligent to comprehend...where did you say that? All I see is "Ness was the most recent"...are we supposed to automatically assume he meant before the 64?

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry...I'm obviously too unintelligent to comprehend...where did you say that? All I see is "Ness was the most recent"...are we supposed to automatically assume he meant before the 64?
EDIT: Actually, check my post in the middle of the previous page. This one:

And need I remind you that we had the same case with Ness as we have with the Ice Climbers. If I remember correctly, around the time of Ness' inclusion (which was around 1999, 64's release date), the Earthbound franchise only had a scarce few games. Again, Ness was the protagonist of the most recent game and sort of a "figurehead" for the franchise, like the Ice Climbers, and unlike Geno.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Guys; Games aren't a huge factor that play through a characters chances.

And also this isn't rocket science, Sakurai will pick 1-2 Of the three i listed in the first post in this thread, JR And Geno in (Or something like that.) Is very possible.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Guys; Games aren't a huge factor that play through a characters chances.
Um, actually, a character's importance to his/her franchise is very important if not the most important factor in choosing a potential candidate for Smash.

And also this isn't rocket science, Sakurai will pick 1-2 Of the three i listed in the first post in this thread, JR And Geno in (Or something like that.) Is very possible.
That really goes without saying. I'm pretty sure we all know and/or are counting on Sakurai including at least two Mario newcomers.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Um, actually, a character's importance to his/her franchise is very important if not the most important factor in choosing a potential candidate for Smash.

That really goes without saying. I'm pretty sure we all know and/or are counting on Sakurai including at least two Mario newcomers.
Sure it helps them but i doubt sakurai would look at this.

"Sir;We bought all of geno's copyrights! But we should put in Bowser Jr instead, Why? He starred in more games!"
"Sakurai:That's a brilliant idea!"

Games do matter and i will say that but it depends on if he's bought geno or not, Now the real question that stands is who are those two mario newcomers, I Can't wait to see on the 24th (Then again we already know the 3 top canidates for the slots :p.)

Enigma14

Smash Champion

Tell that to Waluigi who has appeared in 20+ games

Geno cause of the polls and uniqueness, Jr. cause hes a villain

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Oh, yeah...refer me to the post I quoted...brilliant...now how about you show me where you specifically said the statement in question BEFORE I asked..
Er, yeah, my mistake. Try my post in the middle of page 9 or check the edit. Again, the post I was talking about is this one:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Not that I'm against Geno, but an exception to the rule does not change the ratio in which that character is held. There are more characters in melee with multiple appearances than those with only a single one. Therefore, the likelihood of a character with a single appearance is less than that of a character with multiple appearances.
Funny cause you know those on the polls are playable at the moment...Ike, Diddy, Dedede, Lucas...

Lucas was in 1 game, Geno was in 1 game, both are playable in their games, both had significance to their plot. Same with ICs and Roy

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Geno was in 1 game... 1!!!!!!!!!! as much as i like him (yes i did play super mario rpg) he will not make it. He has almost no fan base outside of smashboards and frankly he just will not be in anything in the future. Now u may make this argument and say "well what about IC and G&W" well both are the CONTROLABLE PROTAGONISTS in each of there respective games. Geno fans, you screaming for him does nothing to alter Sakuri's thinking.
I could name 15 other forums that have Geno support, plus the japan board. Geno the playable character was in 1 game, the doll was in 2. We don't know for sure at this point if he's in. Geno is a PC in SMRPG, and you say to played SMRPG. Really, plus 16 other forums,1 the official japan board COULD say otherwise.

sorry for the triple posts.

Sasori's_Shadow

Smash Apprentice
Tell that to Waluigi who appeared in 20+ games
Sure it helps them but i doubt sakurai would look at this.

"Sir;We bought all of geno's copyrights! But we should put in Bowser Jr instead, Why? He starred in more games!"
"Sakurai:That's a brilliant idea!"
Yeah, that wasn't my point at all. I never mentioned the number of games Junior starred in, I only said that he's more important to the Mario franchise. Not only has he starred in more games, but he's also played very important roles in a handful of those games as well, and has starred in all of the more recent Mario games.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Yeah, that wasn't my point at all. I never mentioned the number of games Junior starred in, I only said that he's more important to the Mario franchise. Not only has he starred in more games, but he's also played very important roles in a handful of his games as well, and has starred in all of the more recent Mario games.
1 thing going for him: hes new, hes popular among the new gamers to the mario series.

fact.

1 thing Sakurai dislikes; popular, a game with only popular characters bores him, he even stated it himself that he likes retro or obscure.

Sorry for the miss-communication Sasori

hello_kitty

Smash Journeyman
though I hate PM I think he's got better chances than Geno, sure Geno starred in the first Mario RPG game but PM is starring in the leading and current RPG Mario series :confused: we'll have to wait and see. I personally think it's either PM or Geno, not both, neither is really too necessary actually.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
i dont think paper mario will make it.
everyone on the boards that geno is deserving
and bowser jr is just awesome.

but i think Bowser jr. has the best chance

Top Bottom