• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Stamina Mode?

SothE700k

Smash Lord
There was something that just caught my eye and I decided to take a look at in allisbrawl.com.
A post was made about a "Competitive Stamina Mode" style that made me think. What would SWF think of this? Knowing how it can change the game completely, not too sure about anyone's opinions. This is NOT a push for this to be competitive, and I do not hold an opinion on the idea.

I'll copy and paste the whole post
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=5606 said:
We all know what Stamina Mode is. Set amount of HP and you fight until your last breath. Pretty much the same since Melee only better. The only problem is that Stamina Mode doesn't really feel like it offers much. You and your friends stand on opposing sides of Final Destination or Onett and fire projectiles until one is standing left. After a round or two of stamina you get bored, and head back to standard Brawls. Well what if I could tell you Stamina Mode has a lot more to offer? After all, the real problem with Stamina Mode is the stage size or the fact people can still get ripped off when gimped off a ledge. Here in this article, I will reveal a way to make Stamina Mode exciting!

Well, lets start off with some stages I created (more will be added later)

Hydra Base - http://www.allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2275
Sand Temple - http://www.allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2276
Dead Cell - http://www.allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2281
Wastelands - http://www.allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2282
Icicle Mountain - http://www.allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2283
Ghost Satellite - http://allisbrawl.com/stages/stage.aspx?id=2285

In these stages there is nowhere to fall to your doom. The sides are completely walled up and there is a solid floor. The stages are massive and are filled with hallways, rooms, and ledges. Inside these walls there is plenty of room to run around in, and plenty of spots to hold your ground. Stages built like this can make Smash Bros COMPLETELY different than the way it is normally played. Instead of finding ways to KO your opponent as quick as possible by knocking them off the ledge, you must find ways to KO them in a stage without ledges. Finding out ways to damage your foe without being damaged yourself is much more important in stamina compared to normal Brawls. Without ledges it doesn't matter how light or heavy a character is, the damage itself is what counts.

Whether it be teams or free for all, you need to know how these stages drastically effect stamina mode. Characters with projectiles can be an extreme threat because they can block off entire areas with a couple shots. A character with power can make opponents flee because of the massive damage they can deal out. And of course speedy characters are a wise choice since they can flee battles instantaneously. Every character has something to offer in stamina mode.

------------------------------------------------------------

RULES FOR COMPETITIVE STAMINA MODE

(Of course I have nothing to do to stop you from breaking them)

1. Every character should have the same amount of HP. (Unless for some reason someone demands they want less HP.)

2. Chaingrabbing is NOT allowed since it becomes an infinite. And any other form of infinites are banned. This would be Fox's Reflector against the wall, Falco's infinite laser, infinite standard A combos against a wall, Dedede Chaining against a wall, etc.

3. Characters are allowed to flee for a set amount of time. But if they are not damaged or deal physical damage for more than a minute then they lose. (This is to prevent Sonic or any other fast players from fleeing an entire match and never getting hit)

4. Spamming projectiles or any other attack is allowed as long as it is possible for the opponent to escape.

5. Items can be on or off. If everyone agrees to leave them on then they can be put on.

(More will be added later, maybe)

-----------------------------------------------------------

So who will you choose? Someone with power? Speed? Projectiles? Maybe the ability to wall jump? This is the start of a new form of Stamina. I hope you guys enjoy it! Maybe someday this will become a bigger hit? Remember to take advantage of your surroundings!

(Maybe one day a Stamina Tier list can be made?)
Discuss? And apologies ahead of time to those I may piss off bringing this up :)

The H Kid

Original
Im actually planning a stamina tourney...
With all the Meta Knights, Laser Spam, and Chaingrabbing intact (like it should be)

But yeah I think stamina matches should be around more because they really arent that bad.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I enjoy Stamina matches.
But I also enjoy 300% tiny matches with bunnyhood on Temple XD.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I think playing stamina mode competitively is a great idea. It would be something different, and would open all sorts of new doors for strategies and such. It may not work for online (Which has been my primary way to play recently, but I'm hoping to change that soon), but who really cares?

Stamina mode FTW!

snowaxe

Smash Apprentice
I love playing with stamina, its a nice change, I would love to see how making it competitive could work.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Didn't someone else make a thread for this? He had a list of the character's HP they should get. It was fun to play with.

"Meta Knight gets -10 HP 'cause he's Meta Knight.

Shred_kid

Smash Cadet
Somebody enlighten me, because I've never played stamina mode before. Could you structure the rules so that if a character fell of a map, than he lost s certain amount of hp? This way you could play on normal stages, and it would keep part of the strategy of normal brawl, but the stamina element would still be present.

However, I still think that Soth's original idea would be way cooler than this, even if you could do it my way.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think I remember someone making a post only detailing exact percentages. I'll find it and edit it into this post.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
There would definitely be combos, because everyone would be basically at 0% the whole game. The problem would be some characters like Falco would have a perfect chain grab, and Charizard would be broken with rock smash.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
Stages like those [without ledges] definitely make Stamina mode more viable, but still not necessarily competitively viable.

Top Bottom