• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of New Techniques/Discoveries (Updated 3.17.08)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I just thought I'd throw this in here. I've only noticed it with Ice Climbers but it may be true for other characters as well. Apparently their reverse neutral+b is in, in addition to reverse down+b's. If you flick the joystick in a direction and then down+b with the IC's (in the air) you can change direction into their aerial down+b.

Does anybody know if this works for other characters?
I'm pretty sure everyone can do a reverse neutral B like in Melee, but reverse down B is something I've never heard of.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Thank you very much for this thread :D

i also have a question...

can you combine the reverse aerial rush with the Craq-walk (which i find a bit stupid as a name^^ ... why not keep it at Waveland? or something) by First Flying Backwards and then DI forwards? or flying Backwards the whole time?
curious ^^

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If you flick the joystick in a direction and then down+b with the IC's (in the air) you can change direction into their aerial down+b. Does anybody know if this works for other characters?
Yes, I noticed this with ROB. I would Reverse Down Special to send my Gyro at an opponent behind me in Doubles. It came so naturally from all that laser spam in Melee I guess.

Could somebody PLEASE test out the jumping pivot (reverse aerial rush) with DDD?
It works. I'm not going to upload a video specifically for it.

To the Original Poster:
You should update the "Grab Turn-Around (No name given)" now that it has appeared on the Dojo update as the "Pivot Grab". Source:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
Please, for the love of God, tell me we're not REALLY calling that a "Craq walk"...
Thats exactly what i was saying.....

And i still don't understand how its considered a AT. You slide thats what happens with the new physics. just how when u run and let go of the stick you slide a little. lol The momentum moves you.

Gr00ve

Smash Rookie
Thats exactly what i was saying.....

And i still don't understand how its considered a AT. You slide thats what happens with the new physics. just how when u run and let go of the stick you slide a little. lol The momentum moves you.
I can understand putting it in the ATs, because it can certainly be useful. But that name is so silly, it doesn't define the tech AT ALL, it's just named after some d-bag. :\ At least name it what it is, it's a wave landing.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I can understand putting it in the ATs, because it can certainly be useful. But that name is so silly, it doesn't define the tech AT ALL, it's just named after some d-bag. :\ At least name it what it is, it's a wave landing.
it's not even wave landing, all it is is using the new 0 lag moves to start a fast walk while landing, there's no AT in that, and giving it a name, and specifically naming it after yourself, is stupid.

that's just a momentum side effect of the new physics, any noob can do it by mistake on day 1, there's 0 reason to name it or call it an AT.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Shield grabbing is somehow an AT...
so this is an AT too...
also its more complicated and only usefull for Mindgames of Some sort, so it´s right to call it an AT...
but i dont like the name either...
can someone answer my question on the bottom of page 19?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Shield grabbing is somehow an AT...
so this is an AT too...
also its more complicated and only usefull for Mindgames of Some sort, so it´s right to call it an AT...
but i dont like the name either...
can someone answer my question on the bottom of page 19?
Like I allready said, all this "Craqwalk" really is is landing after a zero lag aerial or without doing any, offcourse you can reverse aerial rush and then land while walking forwards or backwards, just as long as the Bair for the character you're using is a zero lag aerial.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
well i´m not sure because i dont own ssbm yet, but i dont think you slide like that after you do a normal jump and keep pressing forward... and you´d still have the same forward movement, no?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
well i´m not sure because i dont own ssbm yet, but i dont think you slide like that after you do a normal jump and keep pressing forward... and you´d still have the same forward movement, no?
The momentum is much more felt and smooth in SSBB, and it actually links to normal fastwalking.

this allows for spammable 0 Lag aerials, like I do with squirtle.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet, but Lucario can Fox Trot. I would link, but my iPod can't copy paste. It's in the Lucario character forum if anyone is interested.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
The momentum is much more felt and smooth in SSBB, and it actually links to normal fastwalking.

this allows for spammable 0 Lag aerials, like I do with squirtle.
So in a sense it's just immediatley walking after landing to eliminate the landing animation by tapping to either side? And 0 lag aerials work well with this because they go straight to the landing animation, which is cancled. I think I get it.
Do you need momentum though? Like if you land straight down can you go to the side walking? Never mind, I saw the vid. Didn't know it was up yet.

Seems alright, just a minor thing that will have its moments. The more minor things the better :)

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tried to Slidestep? It wasn't a popular technique in Melee however it may do some good in Brawl. I'm not to sure on the properties of the Sidestep in Brawl. But as long as there is lag after the Sidestep, everything should be okay. Sorry if this has been already mentioned.

FREZ

Smash Apprentice
It truly is amazing how many different techniques have been discovered so quickly. Melee has obviously made a large impact on it.

S623

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they didn't know about wavedashing til' almost a year after the game came out, and this much has been discovered in less than a month.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
A potentially new discovery

Tether Recovery = No lag.
I read through the entire first post and found no mention of this.

When you up B or jump towards the ledge you must wait sometime before being able to jump off of this ledge. This lag time usually lasts as long as your invincibility does. However, there is a way around it for some characters.

Basically, when you grapple, hook, tether, whatever, you can reel in and grab the ledge. Once you do this you can jump off the ledge immediately similar to the way you could in Melee.
This means you will keep your invincibility. The usefulness of this technique can't be compared to melee yet because this is a much "floatier" game. Either way, your options are increased.

The following is a video of Silven's samus where he does both the grapple and up B recovery.
The time differences to jump off the ledge are very clear.

1:45 - 1:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my7TmBFB6CA

Again, if this has been mentioned already I apologize.

Snakeee

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVBg38xXUpA
I don't know if somebody mentioned this already but apparently you can catch items while dashing. At 3:31 it looks Lucario caught Peach's turnip while doing his dash attack.
I don't know know if it was mentioned here specificially, but it's definitely been mentioned. I think it can work with other attacks too but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: It can work with all A moves I believe.

Milln

Smash Champion

When you up B or jump towards the ledge you must wait sometime before being able to jump off of this ledge. This lag time usually lasts as long as your invincibility does. However, there is a way around it for some characters.

Basically, when you grapple, hook, tether, whatever, you can reel in and grab the ledge. Once you do this you can jump off the ledge immediately similar to the way you could in Melee.
This means you will keep your invincibility. The usefulness of this technique can't be compared to melee yet because this is a much "floatier" game. Either way, your options are increased.

The following is a video of Silven's samus where he does both the grapple and up B recovery.
The time differences to jump off the ledge are very clear.

1:45 - 1:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my7TmBFB6CA

Again, if this has been mentioned already I apologize.
Excellent information.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I just thought I'd throw this in here. I've only noticed it with Ice Climbers but it may be true for other characters as well. Apparently their reverse neutral+b is in, in addition to reverse down+b's. If you flick the joystick in a direction and then down+b with the IC's (in the air) you can change direction into their aerial down+b.

Does anybody know if this works for other characters?
Pikachu can turn direction with her neutral B. Uhh, I'm pretty sure Marth can, too, but it's just a guess about Marth.. I just know 100% Pika can.

Kyuusoku

Smash Cadet

This seems like it will be very useful especially since Im using young link.

Damax

Smash Lord
Just wanted to add my video that has footage of the Throw move where you run past them and grab behind quickly. I don't think there is a name yet but Passing Throw sounds alright to me.

It is with Toon Link because it seems like he might be one of the characters that it will be very useful with.

http://budokaimr2.wordpress.com/2008/02/13/smash-tech-early-discoveries-pt-2/
Sorry sir, but you are ****ING late, this was one of the first tech discoveries of brawl... back from E for ALL. Its called a Pivot grab (i think) and it is even on the dojo.

BudokaiMR2

Smash Rookie
Who the hell was trying to claim discovery of it ? I was just posting a vid of it because I haven't seen one on the boards yet. Calm the **** down.

Damax

Smash Lord
Who the hell was trying to claim discovery of it ? I was just posting a vid of it because I haven't seen one on the boards yet. Calm the **** down.
Look any brawl vids involving good players and you will see plenty of it. Lucky do it, gimpyfish bla bla bla. anyway who cares about vids its on the Dojo! There's a alot of tech rumors you could test if you have brawl though. Wario bike eating increase waft for exemple. etc... etc...

You didn't claim discovery but wanted to name it? com'on.

PR3Y11

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to add my video that has footage of the Throw move where you run past them and grab behind quickly. I don't think there is a name yet but Passing Throw sounds alright to me.

It is with Toon Link because it seems like he might be one of the characters that it will be very useful with.

http://budokaimr2.wordpress.com/2008/02/13/smash-tech-early-discoveries-pt-2/
that's definately been put up... ... one of the first things =P

edit: oops sry it im repeating someone else ......

SiD

Smash Master
Land Canceling is the same thing as Dair platform stall I think....

And do not call that other thing "DLX" hit cancel, **** that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom