• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

***Compilation of True Combos*** Reformatted HUGE UPDATE

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Compilation of Diddy's True Combos

Update History
5/18/2009- Posted thread
5/19/2009- Confirmed several 'true combos', added new ones posted by others and split banana section into 2 parts (aerial and grounded opponent)
5/20/09- Added little note about combo meter, fixed other small things
5/22/09- Posted new testing method
7/18/09- Reformatted guide; finished FFer section

I have completely changed how I am going to do this thread. Since the combos are different from character to character (ie. the percents at which they work etc), I have decided to reformat the guide. It will make it easier to read; 4 percents next to each combo, one for each group of characters would be pretty confusing wouldnt it? Navigating through the guide will also be a lot easier and finding character specific combos will be a sinche. So, without the further ado, the reformatted format;

Format

I have separated the Brawl cast into 4 groups; Fast Fallers, Heavyweights, Lightweights, and middle weights. I then did testing on the characters in each group to find percents/validity of each combo listed in the guide. The key to reading the guide is as follows;

Green= Proven to be a 'true combo'
Red= Proven false
Yellow: Is hard to escape but most likely not a 'true combo'
White= Still needs testing

P-1 said that testing in training mode with the combo meter means nothing. He was right... if you dont change the level of the CPU beforehand. The CPU in training mode will not air dodge outve combos so its hard to test whether theyre really 'true combos' or not. But if you change the level to level 9, they will air dodge outve combos. Try it yourselves. Take a level 3 Falco to training mode and do the dash attack to Fair at 40%. It should register as a combo. Now try it on a level 9 at 40% and hell air dodge out. With this method, Ill be able to test these combos accurately. Ill update this as soon as I have the time.

Fast Fallers
Fox, Falco, Wolf, Link
NOTE: I probably missed some. Feel free to let me know of any others.

Jab1
Jab2 Any Percent
Dtilt
Grab

Jab1 and Jab2 have fixed knockback. They DO NOT combo into any other moves, even with jab cancelling. It isnt even possible to Jab cancel after Jab2 into another Jab1>Jab2 combo. Only use this to throw your opponents timing off and mix it up between just using Jab1 and using Jab1>Jab2.

Dash Attack

NOTE: This was very difficult to test accurately. The dash attack has three different hits, each one having varying durations and knockback. And hitting with more than one hit also affects the knockback. When testing, I only hit with the LAST attack of the move and then buffered the next attack in the chain. If you dont buffer, percents will be lower. I also found that hitting with the last two hits will allow these combos to work at higher percents since the opponent doesnt pop up as high as when you just hit with the last hit.

Fair 0-110%
Nair 0% (only works at O%)
Uair 0-88%
Bair never hits if you just land last hit of DA
Dair Never hits
Utilt 24%
Usmash
Fsmash
Banana

Tilts

Dtilt
Dtilt 30-84%
Jab 25-61%
Ftilt
Grab
Smashes
Diddy Hump/Kick

NOTE: Dtilt has two hitboxes. The weak one is near his arms. You really have to be inside your opponent and it sends your opponent straight forward barely above the ground. The stronger one is nearer to his hands and sends your opponent at more of a 45 degree angle upwards and away. At higher percents, you will not get Dtilt to combo into itself unless you hit with the weak hitbox first.

Ftilt
Nothing at the moment. Added for future updates.

Utilt
Utilt 6-24%
Usmash
Uair 17-24%
Fair
Nair
Bair
Grab

Smashes

Usmash
Uair
Utilt

Aerials

Nair
Fair
Bair
Nair
Uair 0-8%
Utilt 0-8%
Usmash
Jab
Banana

NOTE: Uair is the only aerial that combos out of a falling autocancelled Nair.

Fair

Dair

Bair
Bair
Nair
Diddy Hump/Kick

Uair
Utilt
Uair

Usmash

Specials

UpB

SideB
Footstool (aerial hump to grab release) List of characters this works on DHGR > Footstool list Credit goes to ADHD for the list

DownB AKA The Banana

Grounded Opponent

Banana (Will add description of single/double naner locking in later update)
Grab
Fsmash
Dsmash
Ftilt

NOTE: You can pretty much combo anything from a grounded banana but the ones listed are those that are most common. There a lot more options not listed (jabs, aerials etc.)

Aerial Opponent
Fair
Nair
Bair

Uair
Grab
Dtilt
Ftilt

NOTE: The aerial banana combos depend a lot on your spacing. For example, if youre too far to do a standing grab after a glidetossed banana throw on an aerial opponent, then they can escape before you can dash grab them. On the contrary, a standing grab will always combo on an aerial opponent.

Grabs

Diddy doesnt have any notable grab combos accept for the P-1 chaingrab but I dont know enough about it to post it. Ill make sure to post a detailed explanation including which characters it works on after I talk to P-1.

P-1 Chaingrab Description- Not a true combo
The basic description is that when you glidetoss a banana to a character then you grab them and Bthrow them, depending on the distance you threw your banana, it should land relatively close to you, you then turn around and grab the banana and do the same thing assuming that your opponent didn't tech the stage when he landed, or even if he did it still sometimes works.
Ill have a video up soon.

Hopefully, this list was helpful and will continue to grow. All you Diddy mains out there, we need your contributions.

Ill update this as people post their test results/ combos I didnt mention.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
out of d-tilt, you can put a smash(needs testing), f-tilt, and diddy hump/monkey flip kick.

out of smashes, i guess u smash to uair possibly o.O?

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ok thanks. I added them but I put all of them except the Ftilt as 'likely combos' cause were both not sure yet.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I'm fairly sure Dash Attack does true combos into

Fair
Dair
Nair
Uair
Utilt
Usmash
Banana

at low %

I haven't tested, but I know that if anything they are all very hard to escape (though the combo to Usmash and Utilt can be definitely escaped at higher %'s for some chars)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure they all combo accept for the Dair which is more likely to just be hard to escape. Anyways, Ill add those right away.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Some good true combos to add...
Dash Attack->Fsmash
Dtilt->Fair
Utilt->Grab (Heavy Characters at low %)
Uair-> Utilt

Might be worth mentioning:

Bair->Side B Hump

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Are you sure? I thought Dtilt to Dtilt ws one for sure but Im not ompletely sure so if youre really sure it doesnt, then Ill change it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think this would be easier read if you did strings, for example:
Nana lock (+3-5% per nana) > Dash attack (+10%) > Fair (+16%)

Then you can compare combo's based on %'s (this is basically how I choose what I do most of the time).

Bellioes

Smash Lord
What if I just add how much percet each move does? Cause with strings, when there are several options after a move, you have to make a separate one for each option. It becomes repetive and and is, in my opinion, not worth the extrra work. But I m willing to make a 'common combos section' with strings since there wont be quite as many strings to put up. Tell what you think about that.

Also, I am need of a good description of single and double banana locking that I can quote in the thread. I would also like one for the P-1 CG.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Dtilt can be smash DI'd easily. It may combo twice at very low percents but then it will get shielded. That's all, the other uses are all risky/punishable. It's a bad move.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Dtilt can be smash DI'd easily. It may combo twice at very low percents but then it will get shielded. That's all, the other uses are all risky/punishable. It's a bad move.
What about Dtilt->Fair at medium percents? And even though it doesn't combo, Dtilt->Grab? (Keep in mind I play against a Wolf and Snakes on a regular basis so most of mine would probably only work on heavy characters)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well whether its a good move or not, it combos to dtilt at middle percents (50-60%). I just put it in for the sake of completeness. Also, I already added those rvkevin as 'likely combos'. Im currently in the process of constructing a 'common combos section'.

And I posted this in the Q&A thread already but does anyone know where I can find a list of characters that the DHGR to footstool works on?

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think nair to utilt is a true combo, and I don't think any of the dash attack to aerials are except maybe Uair at low percents and Usmash.

The P1 chaingrab isn't a true combo, it's just a string of glidetosses to Bthrows on fastfallers or heavy chars at low percentages, it usually works the first 2 or 3 throws after that they DI or jump out of it.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I tested the DA to aerials and they all add to the combo meter in training mode. Also, Ill add the Nair to Utilt one. But P-1, could you post the description anyways. ill add under the grab section but Ill say its not a true combo. I just want people to know what they can do outve grabs.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I tested the DA to aerials and they all add to the combo meter in training mode. Also, Ill add the Nair to Utilt one. But P-1, could you post the description anyways. ill add under the grab section but Ill say its not a true combo. I just want people to know what they can do outve grabs.
the combo meter in training mode means nothing, lol.

The basic description is that when you glidetoss a banana to a character then you grab them and Bthrow them, depending on the distance you threw your banana, it should land relatively close to you, you then turn around and grab the banana and do the same thing assuming that your opponent didn't tech the stage when he landed, or even if he did it still sometimes works.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wait why does it mean nothing? I thought it was the best way to judge whether something is a combo or not?
Ok Ill add the the description. Thanks.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Wait why does it mean nothing? I thought it was the best way to judge whether something is a combo or not?
Ok Ill add the the description. Thanks.
I think I heard that you can airdodge some stuff it counts as combos. Because you can airdodge before hit stun is over, or something like that.

Idk basically the point is it doesn't tell you if something is a true combo.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh ok then. So Ill just put that at the top of the list. Cause otherwise, its hard to tell whether something combos or not :ohwell:
Thanks guys.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
UPDATE: Found new way to test which is more accurate and available to everyone who has the game. Will start updating list with new method as soon as I find the time. Feel free to start yourselves. Just read the note about the combo meter in the OP.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Just a bit of advice, instead of making categories like ''spacies'' and ''floaties'', why not just list every character and all combo's that work on them :)?
You probably thought of it, but I didn't see it in the OP, so I decided to share this wisdom with you anyway ;).

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Well I didnt make categories like that. But Im thinking of putting this into character categories when I have the time to test percents for each characters.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Wow

I LOVE the new format, it's so much cleaner and understandable. The only concern I have right now is that I don't know if the combos listed are currently only for fast-fallers, or if they are general. Also, would you consider adding Reverse Boosted Pivot Grab to the Dash combos? To be completely honest, I don't know what percents it combos, if it does at all. But, it's a good mix-up I use from time to time.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
OK Ill do some testing for the percents. The reverse boosted pivot grab is the thing where you cancela dash attack into a pivot grab, right?

Also, yes, these are all for Fast Fallers (I tested on Falco)

I will have a separate list for heavies, lightweights, and middleweights.

Also, I still have a lot of editing to do. I realized that there are some banana combos that I am missing. I wil update agains soon :) Please let me know if you think of something I missed too.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
I find the dash attack-->utilt to be the most effective out of all the true combos listed. Itz worked most of the time and has set me up for a lot of other advantages against my opponents.

Although I have yet to use the usmash so i think I'll start using it when I nana-->dash atk.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Also, yes, these are all for Fast Fallers (I tested on Falco)

I will have a separate list for heavies, lightweights, and middleweights.
Just to let you know, the Fast Fallers have different weights and some combos may work differently on Wolf compared to the other Fast Fallers since Wolf is the heaviest out of them...For example, I know that Utilt->Grab is inescapable on Wolf and Snake because of their weight, while it does not truely combo on other characters.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Just to let you know, the Fast Fallers have different weights and some combos may work differently on Wolf compared to the other Fast Fallers since Wolf is the heaviest out of them...For example, I know that Utilt->Grab is inescapable on Wolf and Snake because of their weight, while it does not truely combo on other characters.
I say we do broad generalizations first (to get things flowing) and then go in and put character-by-character info later. That way we can at least get our foot out the door. Just be sure to record what combos work on what characters while you're testing the broad categories (for example, keep it in the back of your mind that you've been testing Falco specifically, such that you can put in Falco's info when you make it more specific).

As for the Dash Attack > RBPG combo,
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219637

Top Bottom