• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete Character Matchup Synopsis: UPDATED WITH FRAME COMPARISONS

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yo DR, for banned stages for Lucario, you should replace delfino with Castle Siege. In the 1st transformation, he can platform **** you, on the second transformation (His best), he can use the statues to extend the time of his hitboxes of his smashes (which can kill at ~70%), and the third one is really just camping from both ends. I usually just plank during the second part.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Have we ever done / can we do a fox one? I have a harder time fighting them than fighting falcos. Maybe it's just me playing falcos a lot more but Fox just beats me =\. Falcos are predictable, especially with the side B, but even though Foxs go for upsmash or dair>upsmash 90% of the time, they still get me. I get juggled like three times and I'm at 50-70%, throw in a random laser and I'm in dair-upsmash range. I used to be fine against them, too...

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Have we ever done / can we do a fox one? I have a harder time fighting them than fighting falcos. Maybe it's just me playing falcos a lot more but Fox just beats me =\. Falcos are predictable, especially with the side B, but even though Foxs go for upsmash or dair>upsmash 90% of the time, they still get me. I get juggled like three times and I'm at 50-70%, throw in a random laser and I'm in dair-upsmash range. I used to be fine against them, too...
Just space your down/forward tilts when he's afar...so you don't worry for the down smash approach. Up tilt beats his down air too.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Check the matchup directory thread. There was discussion on Fox. Its a bit old, but I don't think there has been a LOAD of development in the matchup, aside from that "jab, jab, cancel" thing whose potentially was fairly obvious.

On a tangentially related note, i'm going to hold off on updating this until practically *all* the characters have been covered. Then I can probably crank out 1-2 per week, depending on RL commitments.

Ruse

Fox
Small, fast, juggly, combo-based characters generally go even with or beat ROB.

From my experience, ROB vs Fox is even, but I don't have too much. Should be going up against Moogle soon, who appears to be the only good Fox in the Atlantic South.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Hey R.O.B's!
Sorry I forgot to invite you earlier but Luigi's been talking about you. The thread is not a match-up discussion, it is specifically what we can do as Luigi's to beat R.O.B

Like stages, approaches, etc.

Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232145

The discussion is about to be wrapped up but I hope you fellas can give some input.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Well that doesn't make any sense, why would we want Luigis to know how to beat us? :(

Unfortunately for him, Luigi is too slow to continue to juggle ROB beyond low percents. Seems like we've had this discussion somewhere around here recently, though...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Why don't we ever do more matchups it has been half done for as long as i've been on the boards
Because I am waiting until I get all the character discussions in. We've discussed *thinks* about 3/4 of the cast now as opposed to 1/4 a little over a month and a half ago. This serves only as a compilation of what has been discussed. I wanted to get these out of the way ASAP bc they are relatively common characters (to some degree) at tournaments and/or present difficult matchups for ROB.

If you want discussions and facts about chars that I haven't compiled all the data for, please check the weekly character discussions.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Hi, why not adding some numerical ratios to the first post? Colors give some ideas, but they are hard to measure; maybe using both numbers and colors would be great

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Bumped (FINALLY) for Snake update. Will work on editing a few things (stages in the Lucario/GaW matchup) a bit later. For now, enjoy.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Hi, why not adding some numerical ratios to the first post? Colors give some ideas, but they are hard to measure; maybe using both numbers and colors would be great
No.

Because everyone becomes too focused on stupid "Its more 55:45 than 50:50" or "its more 60:40 than 55:45" as opposed to looking at the content of the synopsis.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Um there are more colours updated then synopsis'. Just wondering why they arent their if there is already a colour coded matchup updated.
Because the color codes come from the weekly matchup discussions, based on the MU ratios provided & the general consensus of difficulty of the MU by the community. Its a whole heck of a lot easier to color in a small rectangle in photoshop than to do a literally 4 page write-up of a character.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
just hit him? lol idk, it cant be that hard. hes soooo gimpable

dont let ness's zoning game get to you. just sort of walk away and shield. after one of his fairs or something (which is his typical approach) after you shield it just dash at him and grab or attack based on what he does (shield or side dodge) if you cant get there before his lag ends.

be very aggressive off stage against him. use your upB smart to keep pushing him off. if he has his double jump though, dont underestimate how far it goes, and remember that he can fair or other aerial during it. dont recover below him. im pretty sure his crazy strong dair goes through uair. just be safe. dont be afriad to laser him off stage. it helps gimp him. if he absorbs it, big deal, it gave him lag in which he dropped lower making it easier for you to edgeguard him.

edit: why is this the first time iv read this thread? its amaizng

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Ness is actually surprisingly difficult to edgeguard, mostly just because his FAir goes right through any of ROB's aerials. You're probably not going to beat him offstage because of that, you pretty much have to smack him with a projectile to force the oh-so-gimpable PK Thunder.

Frankly, FAir is about all he has on-stage as well but ROB can beat it from the ground with FTilt/FSmash. Meh. :/ He's pretty good at punishing spot dodges, or at least mixing up his attack pattern and making it hard to do, so challenge him with ROB's superior hitboxes instead.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Im starting to do the frame comparison between chars. Its really hard to keep everything consistent in terms of measurement and such, but- we'll see how it goes. Ill try to get them all done by the end of the weekend.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
All the frame comparisons are done ( to the best of my ability ) and the screenshots are taken. All that is left to do is upload them and then paste them into the synopses. Should be done sometime today or tomorrow.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I'll get around to trimming it at some point or other. When I uploaded them, it opened on a white webpage, so I didn't know how much of it was there until after I posted them.

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
uhhhhh I have a question about 1 one the matchups. WHy do you recomend cping luigis? Its freakin fishbowl and turtle city in that place. He can easily avoid gyros and keep bouncing you off the ceiling with his multi hit arials. What advantages other than using dsmash to bounce him off the roof do we have?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
if its not done by tomorrow, Ill do it lol

EDIT: im doing it now....

re edit: here http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu49/TEECO_master_of_fap/

oh yeah, and don't mind my wives
I'll edit it when I get home from work.

uhhhhh I have a question about 1 one the matchups. WHy do you recomend cping luigis? Its freakin fishbowl and turtle city in that place. He can easily avoid gyros and keep bouncing you off the ceiling with his multi hit arials. What advantages other than using dsmash to bounce him off the roof do we have?
What MU are you talkin' about?

Edit: if its the GaW one, I need to re-do the stage list anyway to take out japes and such. But, as long as the house is up we can camp pretty well and his U-smash and F-smash KO options are cut down due to teching off the ceiling, and and the circular fashion of teh house means we can run away.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i was bored, so i wrote this on an aib blog:

Yes, I'm flat out steeling this idea from AlphaZealot :p
I like his layout, and even his outlook on the whole match up ratio deal in his opening paragraph.
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=29578

Here's a rough match up ratio I'm giving for every character, with noteable players I have learned about the matchup from (all players are in person unless noted online).

Bad match ups in RED. Closish match ups in ORANGE. Good match ups in GREEN.

MetaKnight: 20-80 (Mew2King, Ksizzle, Xzax, dmbrandon, Sean, etc)
Snake: 60-40 (Ally, AndyG, Inui)
Wario: 55-45 (Fiction, MalcomM, PhantomX)
Falco: 40-60 (Larry, Keitaro)
Diddy Kong: 60-40 (Rush, Phillyrider, NinjaLink, GDX)
King Dedede: 30-70 (Vex Kasrani, Atomsk)
Marth: 55-45 (Steel2nd, RedJ, MikeHAZE)
Mr. GaW: 45-55 (Vex Kasrani, Dire)
Pikachu: 55-45 (Kaylo, NinjaLink, PikaPika)

Olimar: 40-60 (AndyG, Fino
online, .com)
Ice Climbers: 60-40 (Bnzaaa, Meep, Lain)
ROB: 100-0 (A ROB will always win)
Kirby: 60-40 (Chu Dat)
Lucario: 45-55 (Fury, Zucco)
ZSS: 45-55 (Snakeee)
Toon Link: 50-50 (Jash, MIB)
Pit: 50-50 (Rouge Pit, Smurf)
Donkey Kong: 55-45 (Ultimodragon)
Peach: 55-45 (Praxis, Phillyrider)

Luigi: 60-40 (Jbandrew
online, Boss)
Fox: 65-35 (M@v, Rookie)
Wolf: 60-40 (Pav)
Sonic: 65-35 (Camalange, Wes, MalcomM)
Sheik: 65-35 (?)
Bowser: 60-40 (Vex Kasrani)
Zelda: 60-40 (Ryoko Yaksa)
Pokemon Trainer: 65-35 (MexiMadnez, Reflex)
-Squirtle: 50-50
-Ivysaur: 75-25
-Charizard: 60-40
Ike: 70-30 (Inui, Sintros)
Lucas: 60-40 (Okin)
Mario: 60-40 (Vato Break, Boss)
Ness: 60-40 (MIB, NoNessNoProblem
online)
Yoshi: 55-45 (Pride, Bwett)
Samus: 55-45 (Rhyme)

Jigglypuff: 65-35 (Dapuffster)
Captain Falcon: 60-40 (Rush, TUSM)
Link: 65-35 (?)
Ganondorf: 60-40 (Vex Kasrani)

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
an interesting list. I'll look over it more closely and pose questions and such this weekend (which, for me, starts on Thursday)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
How the **** do you handle Diddy other than winning on your easy counterpick? T_T

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Diddy is, quite simply, a match-up you need to get used to playing on a personal level. Like Sonic, except with items. :lick:

Sudai

Stuff here
Diddy is, quite simply, a match-up you need to get used to playing on a personal level. Like Sonic, except with items. :lick:
Thisthisthisthisthis. I couldn't even beat ****ty Diddy players till I sat down and had a serious session with La_Thien. A few pointers I have though: Keep a gyro on the ground in front of you. This prevents the Diddy from throwing bananas at you as an approach. The best way to control his bananas is to have one in hand and one on the ground, but keep a gyro on top of the one on the ground. A gyro on top of a banana means that the Diddy can only pick up one of the two and you get a free punish off the other and since you have his other banana in hand, he can't pull more and you can punish him trying to pick up one of the items from rather far away. Realistically though, you don't want any bananas on the field. Stay in his face when he doesn't have naners so he can't pull more. Beyond that, you simply need to know what most of Diddy's tricks are and observe which your opponent likes the most.

Top Bottom