• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Complete Samus Guide W/o Customs

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Uh, dude, if you're going to make a guide about Samus' moveset, you really should explain all of her moves better by going in depth about what uses they have, you didn't even include Z-air which is a really important tool for Samus' spacing game.
N-air, Bombs, U-tilt, F-tilt, D-tilt, D-smash, U-smash, also seem to be missing from this guide.
Also, U-throw is a terrible combo starter, Samus' main combo starters are D-throw and Dash Attack.
And the part that included the PP F-smash was really out of place.

Overall, this guide is extremely confusing and not very helpful at all to players who have never played Samus before and want to learn her.

Last edited:

proto3296

Smash Rookie
Uh, dude, if you're going to make a guide about Samus' moveset, you really should explain all of her moves better by going in depth about what uses they have, you didn't even include Z-air which is a really important tool for Samus' spacing game.
N-air, Bombs, U-tilt, D-smash, U-smash, also seem to be missing from this guide.
Also, U-throw is a terrible combo starter, Samus' main combo starters are D-throw and Dash Attack.
And the part that included the PP F-smash was really out of place.

Overall, this guide is extremely confusing and not very helpful at all to players who have never played Samus before and want to learn her.
Down throw is actually not a good combo start since it can be DI away. Up throw they can DI but you can chase and they will at least be above you, and as a samus player that is exactly what you want. Her inability to kill horizontally is made up for by her ability to kill vertically. Her Nair is terrible, Dash attack can easily be grabbed so you should do it when in a combo. bombs are only good with customs. I will admit I missed d-smash. u-smash is terrible. Zair isnt as good as a spacing tool as youd thing it would be. It's much better in PM. Thank you for watching the video. I will put in the description ways to use down smash. Thank you for your input.

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Down throw is actually not a good combo start since it can be DI away. Up throw they can DI but you can chase and they will at least be above you, and as a samus player that is exactly what you want. Her inability to kill horizontally is made up for by her ability to kill vertically. Her Nair is terrible, Dash attack can easily be grabbed so you should do it when in a combo. bombs are only good with customs. I will admit I missed d-smash. u-smash is terrible. Zair isnt as good as a spacing tool as youd thing it would be. It's much better in PM. Thank you for watching the video. I will put in the description ways to use down smash. Thank you for your input.
D-throw is DI-able that is true(Then again, what isn't?), but, it's still a combo starter.
U-throw may put your opponent above you, but they can easily airdodge your U-airs or they could come down on you with one of their own attacks.
U-smash and such may seem to be terrible but they are still a part of Samus' moveset and how Samus plays and should be included in a guide that is supposedly breaking down how to use the character, and if you're not using all of Samus' tools you're not using the character to her full potential.

proto3296

Smash Rookie
D-throw is DI-able that is true(Then again, what isn't?), but, it's still a combo starter.
U-throw may put your opponent above you, but they can easily airdodge your U-airs or they could come down on you with one of their own attacks.
U-smash and such may seem to be terrible but they are still a part of Samus' moveset and how Samus plays and should be included in a guide that is supposedly breaking down how to use the character, and if you're not using all of Samus' tools you're not using the character to her full potential.
Not necessarily if I'm doing a break down for a character not showing off a move probably means that there's no need for it to be in her repertoire. IMO not using samus' u-smash increases her potential. Now on to the topic with down throw vs up throw. D throw in my experience doesnt lead to as much of a payout as up throw. D throw your opponent and if they DI away, they are away from you and a whole new neutral game is started. Up throw on the other hand allows you to read you opponent and get a combo. If they air dodge U-air has a lot of active frames and can still hit. If they come down with a move up b has invincibility and is a kill move if your opponent is in the air. They both have the perk of gaining stage control I'm sure we can agree with that.

In all seriousness I'm not trying to come off as rude. I'm trying to figure what makes Samus better to further her meta because I feel like everyone thinks this character is D tier. According to the rankings she one of the least used characters in this game. So in your opinion what circumstances would you use U-air? I might be missing something, and your answer can help me figure out a better way to play my favorite character :)

RoachCake

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RoachCake
3DS FC
2621-3061-7090
Not necessarily if I'm doing a break down for a character not showing off a move probably means that there's no need for it to be in her repertoire. IMO not using samus' u-smash increases her potential. Now on to the topic with down throw vs up throw. D throw in my experience doesnt lead to as much of a payout as up throw. D throw your opponent and if they DI away, they are away from you and a whole new neutral game is started. Up throw on the other hand allows you to read you opponent and get a combo. If they air dodge U-air has a lot of active frames and can still hit. If they come down with a move up b has invincibility and is a kill move if your opponent is in the air. They both have the perk of gaining stage control I'm sure we can agree with that.

In all seriousness I'm not trying to come off as rude. I'm trying to figure what makes Samus better to further her meta because I feel like everyone thinks this character is D tier. According to the rankings she one of the least used characters in this game. So in your opinion what circumstances would you use U-air? I might be missing something, and your answer can help me figure out a better way to play my favorite character :)
Wouldn't it be better to actually say that in the video instead of assuming people will be able to figure that out on their own?
Oh I agree with what you're saying about U-smash, all of us Samus mains I'm sure can agree U-smash is extremely situational and is almost never a good option.
I guess this whole D-throw vs U-throw thing is just something we will just continue to dissagree on, because in my experience against both pros and beginners I've always gotten a ton of mileage out of D-throws than U-throws, 0-deaths even.
Even if your opponent DIs away, you can still land F-air or Z-air, or if you let them airdodge you can get a re-grab or Dash Attack.

As am I, and many others, we all want to show what Samus is truly capable of.
As for tiers...
U-air is Samus' best combo tool, without it Samus would be nothing.
You can use SH FF U-airs for approaching and crossing up shields, or you can use U-air for pressuring shields safely from underneath platforms leading to possible shield pokes once you do enough shield damage, and you can use it as ledge getup option.

proto3296

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't it be better to actually say that in the video instead of assuming people will be able to figure that out on their own?
Oh I agree with what you're saying about U-smash, all of us Samus mains I'm sure can agree U-smash is extremely situational and is almost never a good option.
I guess this whole D-throw vs U-throw thing is just something we will just continue to dissagree on, because in my experience against both pros and beginners I've always gotten a ton of mileage out of D-throws than U-throws, 0-deaths even.
Even if your opponent DIs away, you can still land F-air or Z-air, or if you let them airdodge you can get a re-grab or Dash Attack.

As am I, and many others, we all want to show what Samus is truly capable of.

U-air is Samus' best combo tool, without it Samus would be nothing.
You can use SH FF U-airs for approaching and crossing up shields, or you can use U-air for pressuring shields safely from underneath platforms leading to possible shield pokes once you do enough shield damage, and you can use it as ledge getup option.
I never thought about crossing up shields in that matter! That's brilliant. I'd usually just dash attack and made sure I crossed up so i didnt get grabbed.

Top Bottom