• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

computer vs N64

amac22

Smash Apprentice
whats better playing on the computer or N64?
major diffrences? any imput you have on this subject

metaknight007

Smash Cadet
Console > emu, Unless you prefer using a different controller. FPS is pretty much the same, both are fully operational, it's just a matter of preference.

MattNF

Smash Lord
It depends on whether you have IRL people to play with you.

If you do, then console.

If not, then emulator, with online play.

amac22

Smash Apprentice
when you play online does it lag alot and is it like all chopy like

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
depends. If you both have a good connection and p2p, then it's generally smooth with little lag. If you have a bad connection, go on the servers, etc., then it will be choppy, maybe go at 20 FPS, etc.

It all depends on your connection, distance, and what you play on (server / p2p).

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Console is about... aproximatly..

178417827239847952284329584329347594283745000000000000000000 times better than online.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Yeah, so basically:

If you have people you can play in person with:

178417827239847952284329584329347594283745000000000000000000 times better than online.
The only times emulator smash is better than console smash is if you want to play against someone you can't play in person (e.g. east coast vs west coast), or if you want to play gameshark games. But essencially, console is much better than emulator in terms of gameplay, social, everything.

NixxxoN

Smash Master

Besides the opponents factor, the gameshark codes and the fact that you can play on a better controller.

amac22

Smash Apprentice
infinite jump, hit anywhere, play as master hand, play on metal mario stage, be pink/dark blue yoshi, etc. There are many codes for Smash 64
so its things you would notice if you were to play against some one and they tried to cheat

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Console > 1 frame >> 2 frames >>>>>>>>>> 3 frames >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4+ frames

Four or more frames is so different from console that I rarely am willing to play in it. One frame is pretty much the same as console, and two is acceptable. Three is kind of iffy, but it's good enough for some fun friendly Smash.

I guess the point here is that online play can be nearly as good as console smash, but you have to (usually) avoid servers and stick to playing people close to you.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If you don't live in a SSB64 hotspot, online is the only way you can get decent competition.

But if you do have decent players living near you, I'd assume console would be much better.

amac22

Smash Apprentice
If you don't live in a SSB64 hotspot, online is the only way you can get decent competition.

But if you do have decent players living near you, I'd assume console would be much better.
i guess its good for me then i live around respectable players

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Online smash with 4 frames against other players is always better than console smash against a CPU.

What the heck, actually my frame limit is 8 Lol

amac22

Smash Apprentice
Online smash with 4 frames against other players is always better than console smash against a CPU.

your right playing against the computer is a total bore

Daedatheus

Smash Lord

That's true about 4 frames, but anymore than 4 and I would just practice combos instead.

I actually have fun spending maybe time learning combos from combo vids or trying to make new ones, if I can't find any opponents to p2p with at the time and I still want to play. Playing CPUs is only fun every now and then to either test something out or in Falcon dittos for a minute of combos :p

brolynick

Smash Rookie
Console, definitely. I used to play it on an emulator, but ever since I downloaded it on the Wii Virtual Console I haven't touched it on an emulator. It just feels better sitting down on your couch, relaxing with a controller in your hand.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
That's true about 4 frames, but anymore than 4 and I would just practice combos instead.

I actually have fun spending maybe time learning combos from combo vids or trying to make new ones, if I can't find any opponents to p2p with at the time and I still want to play. Playing CPUs is only fun every now and then to either test something out or in Falcon dittos for a minute of combos :p
You see, my internet sucks @ ping and frames, I get no less than 3 or 4 with most of the european players, 8-9 on emularena on LAN and 6-7 with american players
Anyone has some tip on how to decrease ping? its so frustrating that at home I have certain high ping on everywhere and on the university I have 50 less ping on everywhere. I mean something is wrong here

amac22

Smash Apprentice
You see, my internet sucks @ ping and frames, I get no less than 3 or 4 with most of the european players, 8-9 on emularena on LAN and 6-7 with american players
Anyone has some tip on how to decrease ping? its so frustrating that at home I have certain high ping on everywhere and on the university I have 50 less ping on everywhere. I mean something is wrong here
thats why i get upset when i only see online tournaments for this game i think some one should hold a big ssbn64 live tournament

Superstar

Smash Champion
In speed it's very close to console.

But it could be 0 frames and it still wouldn't be close to console, I'm assuming that's what he means for his sake.

Console is the best but people are bad and want Brawl. So it's either online SSB64 or none. Recently though I haven't been playing neither. :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
1 frame is nowhere close to console
that 1 frame makes ONLINE fox soooo much less dangerous than CONSOLE fox who has unlimited combo power if played right obviously...

Nixxon :

What do you mean a better controller? Theres no better controller than n64, and for the love of god don't start with the xbox 360 controller has a good stick and any nonsense about the GC controller for 64 smash.

I still use a ps2 controller. I can't really combo properly at all with it unless I play falcon, or a little with fox. But my falcon is almost console caliber so I can at least flex my skills online. I have the magic joy box so Ill probably find a GC controller to plug into it soon.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Theres no better controller than n64
Thats your opinion, but seriously i find the N64 controller really bad compared to some other controllers (especially the unprecise joystick). I even do better with the kb
I didnt say anything about the 360 controller, I dont like it, weird shape.

Superstar said:
GCN controller is quite comfortable, actually.

But 64 controller isn't bad.
Are you kidding me ._.

Superstar

Smash Champion
64 controller still isn't bad.

The only real problem is the flimsy stick. That was fixed and it'd be an excellent gaming controller.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord

The only real problem is the flimsy stick. That was fixed and it'd be an excellent gaming controller.
Ugh, quoted for truth.

Even if they at least made the stick more durable and not die out from too much use. Nintendo goes with the cheap manufacturing option and ends up with so many dead joysticks. The joystick tech for N64 controllers is so oldschool it's pathetic, but I guess they learned their lesson.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Ugh, quoted for truth.

Even if they at least made the stick more durable and not die out from too much use. Nintendo goes with the cheap manufacturing option and ends up with so many dead joysticks. The joystick tech for N64 controllers is so oldschool it's pathetic, but I guess they learned their lesson.
You have to remember that in those days Nintendo was more concerned about quality games for the N64 (it had to out live SNES after all!)

Now that they switched to quality ...analog sticks... they seem less bound to make those quality games I referred to :(

NixxxoN

Smash Master

I also think that the hands are too together (when using the joystick) and there isnt much space between the gaps of the arms to maneuvre your hand.
Plus wtf you also have to move one of your hands for taunting

Top Bottom