• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning any Earthbound related appearences...

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
So, will Lucas and Ness get the boot, or will they be implemented and get a god horrible nerf or reform? Or will the virtual console release would act as compensation for the PSI duo? All this thinking and neglectfulness makes me a anxious, what do you guys think?

Is Ness, Lucas, and few other EB cameos return in crisp, beautiful 1080p HD?

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
I think ness will be back, I would like to see him back at least lol

Lucas on the other hand...GTFO

:rotfl:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Is there a specific reason you think they'll get the boot? Because as far as I'm aware, your guess is as bad as everyone else's. =P

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I think ness will be back, I would like to see him back at least lol

Lucas on the other hand...GTFO

:rotfl:
ROOD!

All is seriousness, I don't think the little guy will be up for another pointless brawl to do nothing but send-random-people-flying-toward-the-edge-and-explode.

Is there a specific reason you think they'll get the boot? Because as far as I'm aware, your guess is as bad as everyone else's. =P
I dunno, I have this strange gut feeling. Nintendo does not love EB, mind you...

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I see no reason for them not to return. People have suggested the possibility of Lucas being cut, but, I don't know, I think it's fair to have the series repped by more than just Ness.

I guess e'll have to wait and see.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
ROOD!

All is seriousness, I don't think the little guy will be up for another pointless brawl to do nothing but send-random-people-flying-toward-the-edge-and-explode.

I dunno, I have this strange gut feeling. Nintendo does not love EB, mind you...

Nintendo doesn't love EB any less than its other older and sleeping franchises...

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Ness and Lucas will be in SSB4, don't worry. I'm more worried about the possibly low number of trophies and music the series will get.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I don't really see reason for either of them to be cut. It's not like the Mother series is currently taking up a lot of character slots or anything. There's just two of them.

I'd be happy if they were decloned a bit, though.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Ness and Lucas will be in SSB4, don't worry. I'm more worried about the possibly low number of trophies and music the series will get.

To be honest I would have a lower number of these in place of more characters......

I doubt there will be a low number of trophies. He has a bunch of free memory to work with in the Wii U Version since the 3DS can only hold so much information for the roster.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
To be honest I would have a lower number of these in place of more characters......

I doubt there will be a low number of trophies. He has a bunch of free memory to work with in the Wii U Version since the 3DS can only hold so much information for the roster.

Yeah, but since Brawl had 5 trophies (all of them being in-game models) not counting Ness, Lucas or final smashes I'm a little worried about that. Also, I don't want another Mother character, as much as I love the series, 3 characters for a franchise with just 3 games seems like a stretch.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
They'll probably be in because of Smash 64 and the Earthbound Wii U release.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
How can any of you possibly consider Ness and Lucas to be clones i simply do not understand this in the slightest

They play completely differently

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
How can any of you possibly consider Ness and Lucas to be clones i simply do not understand this in the slightest

They play completely differently

Agreed. They have completely different normals. Their specials are the only point at which they overlap.

Random: Your username reminds me of my username. =P

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I just can't see Ness being given the boot after being in all 3 other smash games. Lucas I can see being possible but still think he'll make it. This is Nintendo of Japan making these decisions, not Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan absolutely loves Mother series. Look at the effort and detail that went into the New Pork City stage and Onett stages.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I just can't see Ness being given the boot after being in all 3 other smash games. Lucas I can see being possible but still think he'll make it. This is Nintendo of Japan making these decisions, not Nintendo of America. Nintendo of Japan absolutely loves Mother series. Look at the effort and detail that went into the New Pork City stage and Onett stages.
"Nintendo of Japan" is just a corporate entity, not a developer. Ultimately, it's up to Sakurai and his team.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
If Lucas is cut, hundreds of japanese will scream bloody murder. Lucas is in because EB needed more reps. they have 2 right now, that's not raising a need to cut.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ness and Lucas have no reason to leave.

I also don't see them leaving.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
If anything, I can see Lucas getting kicked off the roster. I don't see us getting any new Mother characters.

Hong

The Strongest
Going to make a wild call now: Ness and Lucas axed, Ninten joins the fray.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
I reckon they will both stay, but expect a change to many of Lucas's moves, probably his side smash, Up down and side B, and some air attacks :)
His other moves are different enough to Ness

Hickory

Smash Cadet
Ness will absolutely be back. The original 12 will not be cut.

Lucas, though? He was fun in Brawl, but Earthbound is a series on hiatus. It doesn't need two reps.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I'd love for Lucas and Ness to be in the next smash, but I don't know.

Can a recent VC release warrant a character slot?
Ness has been in every smash game so far, so that is something to take into consideration. ^_^

Viewtiful-FX

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't see Ness being cut, seeing as he's one of the original fighters and kind of iconic to some degree, but Lucas has no job security in that regard. I would love to see him return with a revamped moveset, though.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Ness will absolutely be back. The original 12 will not be cut.
While I agree that Ness will be back as he is iconic and brought Earthbound to a bigger crowd; I wouldn't be so inclined to say that all of the original 12 will be back. If any of the original 12 get cut it will be Jiggly.

As far as Ness and Lucas, if either of them gets cut I could see it being Lucas. That being that Lucas is the new comer of the group and they wouldn't remove Ness over Lucas.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So, will Lucas and Ness get the boot, or will they be implemented and get a god horrible nerf or reform? Or will the virtual console release would act as compensation for the PSI duo? All this thinking and neglectfulness makes me a anxious, what do you guys think?

Is Ness, Lucas, and few other EB cameos return in crisp, beautiful 1080p HD?

Your anxious? go see the Ridley thread if you wanna know what anxious feels like....RealTalk.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
The only situation in which I can see Lucas getting cut is if they cut back on other franchises as well, such as axing a starfox or Zelda rep. And only in favor of making room for new characters from new or underrepresented franchises.

Lucas is pretty unique, but not as unique as he could be, and I'd rather have a new unique character than keep Lucas.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
IMO I could say that if one of the Mother-reps were to be taken out, Ness could be in bigger danger due have been almost be cut in Melee for Lucas and Mother 3 took the representation for Brawl in means of Mother-representation (with few Mother-tracks here and there)

But who knows, since Ness still is part of Original 12 and also most iconic when it comes to Mother-representation...

Takunai

Smash Rookie
It would all depend on two factors,

A: How well all of the mother series sell this coming year

B :How willing is the origninal creator going to be, the series is dead because him

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
"Nintendo of Japan" is just a corporate entity, not a developer. Ultimately, it's up to Sakurai and his team.
You are correct, but I think Sakurai and his team will consider the popularity of characters in Japan more so than they consider their popularity in the US. I got no basis to go on that, but I think that's what they'd do.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Recently I've been re-playing Mother 3 and started thinking "Lighter should be in Smash as an Assist Trophy". Come on, he's manlier than Captain Falcon and he could hit the characters in the head with his log, that would be awesome. Make it happen, Sakurai.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I want neither of them gone.
Maybe they could make their differences a little bigger so they're even more unique (but even if they wouldn't change much I'd be fine with it).
But if one of them has to go, I'd be for Lucas, because Ness is there since the first Smash and I'd miss him way more.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd hate for either of them to go. Removing Ness would be a scandal, and removing Lucas would leave Mother with only one rep, and despite it being one of the least popular series in the game it'd still be sad. I'd like to keep both, and then maybe give Lucas a new up-B and make PK Freeze function differently. Other than that not much needs to be changed. There's honestly a handful of characters I'd remove before removing Lucas, just for his importance.

Top Bottom