• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concerning the Back Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Just a curious newbie asking a question. What exactly is so GREAT about the Back Room? I mean, I understand the tourney oganizers and such, but "Top Players?" How does one even determine if one is a "Top Player?" Yeah yeah, they're good, they rarely get beaten, they always provide a challenge... Heck, I MYSELF could even be considered a "Top Player" if we go by those standards. And seriously, how do you get in there? Well, that's all for this curious newbie, I'm out.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
BRoomers are consistently good players and consistently intelligent posters. They're chosen by the current members.
yeah Yuna for example. He probably got in for intelligent posting/being an old member.
or just being in good terms with one of the members, who knows.

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Well, thanks guys for the info. I still don't agree with the whole "Top Player" bit, because even winning a tourney doesn't necessarily make you great (although I do know that there are many great kinds of players out there). Eh, thanks again guys, so much for this curious newbie. I think it'd be fun to fight one of these so-called "Top Players". If they beat me, so be it, but if they didnt' I'd laugh. Although my skill level DOES seem to drop qute a bit when I'm either online or under a considerable amount of pressure. Ah well, it'd be fun anyways...

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Obviously the SBR, based on the context of the first post.

Leonsilver: since you haven't been around for very long, I'm not surprised that you don't understand how "top players" are determined. Suffice it to say that there are years worth of player histories that help determine who the exceptionally skilled players are, and beyond that, the people who get in are really the people who know their stuff, cold. You might want to check out some of their videos on YouTube or something to get an idea of whereabout their skill level is compared to yours.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
Well, thanks guys for the info. I still don't agree with the whole "Top Player" bit, because even winning a tourney doesn't necessarily make you great (although I do know that there are many great kinds of players out there). Eh, thanks again guys, so much for this curious newbie. I think it'd be fun to fight one of these so-called "Top Players". If they beat me, so be it, but if they didnt' I'd laugh. Although my skill level DOES seem to drop qute a bit when I'm either online or under a considerable amount of pressure. Ah well, it'd be fun anyways...
I doubt you've ever been to a tourney...

and its not so much winning a tournament, its more about being involved in the community and knowing what you are talking about. I'm guessing being great is just part of it?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I am not in the SBR, but I think that a good amount intelligent posting and doing well in tournaments are a factor, although I think it may be more of the former than the latter though. All of SBR are top notch players, but Danimals (non-SBR member - SWF username: CAOS) destroyed Gimpyfish (SBR member) in a tournament, but Gimpyfish has over 10,000 posts and Danimals only has about 220. Also playing well under pressure is an important factor in determining skill level. (And yes I go to high level tournaments and I place well, in Tae Kwon Do)

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
You wouldn't beat any of them, don't worry. They aren't "so-called" top players, they are the top players. :lick:

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
I doubt you've ever been to a tourney...

and its not so much winning a tournament, its more about being involved in the community and knowing what you are talking about. I'm guessing being great is just part of it?
For all you know, he could be a mule of one of the top players.

Don't make assumptions with no evidence.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I am not in the SBR, but I think that a good amount intelligent posting and doing well in tournaments are a factor, although I think it may be more of the former than the latter though. All of SBR are top notch players, but Danimals (non-SBR member - SWF username: CAOS) destroyed Gimpyfish (SBR member) in a tournament, but Gimpyfish has over 10,000 posts and Danimals only has about 220. Also playing well under pressure is an important factor in determining skill level. (And yes I go to high level tournaments and I place well, in Tae Kwon Do)
Just because someone is ridiculously good, doesn't mean that they would actually contribute to the SBR. For example, one of the top midwest players in Melee makes posts that sound like he has some sort of mental handicap. Nice guy IRL though.

yeah Yuna for example. He probably got in for intelligent posting/being an old member.
or just being in good terms with one of the members, who knows.
Yuna is in the Back Room, not the Smash Back Room. Those are two completely different things ^_^''

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
LoL

You don't know Gimpy and you don't know danimals. You don't know their history or their tournament records.

Gimpy has a better tournament record.
Gimpy posts better.
The "tournament" match was probably not a tournament match at all.
Have you considered the possibility of Gimpy beating Danimal's at other tournaments? Or Gimpy beating more people? Or Gimpy being better in Melee?

Danimals is a cool guy, but he's not SBR material.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Yuna is in the Back Room, not the Smash Back Room. Those are two completely different things ^_^''
Just curious, what is the difference? Is the Smash Back Room where you disscuss what happens in the game and the Back Room where you talk about the forums?

On topic: Yeah, you need to be both really good as well as an intelligent and somewhat frequent poster. I've never got an invitation or heard anything about the SBR other then you talk about the game, but it's kind of obvious. They won't let a noob like me in no matter how perfect my posts are, because, frankly, I'm not the greatest. Or great... or good... but that's beside the point. They also aren't going to let in the top player on the planet if he had a hundred posts of spam under his belt. You've got to be a nice mesh between the two or else you are doomed to the cold, un-informed life of the average player.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The Back Room is more of just a hangout place where people chill and talk about life in general. You get a seperate membership for that.

And there is one last way you can get into the SBR without needing to be an intelligent poster, or being very good at the game at all... Get a red name ^_^

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
The Back Room is more of just a hangout place where people chill and talk about life in general. You get a seperate membership for that.

And there is one last way you can get into the SBR without needing to be an intelligent poster, or being very good at the game at all... Get a red name ^_^
I totally agree, sorry if it came across as if I meant that Danimals should be in the SBR, I was trying to make a point that it takes more than pure playing skill to be SBR material. As for the comment by HugS, you're probably right, just the last video I saw of them fighting, I saw that Danimals did really well, so I guess I jumped to conclusions.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
So the Broom isnt some cult type thing?!
I couldve sworn it is something along those lines....:dizzy:

nice avatar Panda
Make ma name red!

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
So the Broom isnt some cult type thing?!
I couldve sworn it is something along those lines....:dizzy:
Yes, yes, it's totally not a cult.... Yessssssssssssssssssss.....

keep thinking that, because it's the truth. OK?

Laa lii luu lee loo

Leonsilver

Smash Cadet
Well, I certainly didn't expect this much chatter over a simple question by a supposed Smash n00b such as myself. Certainly is funny how things work out, yes? Just to clear things out (I know I haven't actually been accused of this) I'm not claiming myself to be the best player around. I'm sure I'm not. But, I also don't appriciate people judging me without actually having seen me play. So you think I'm not that great? You know what? Maybe I'm where you think I am, and maybe I'm worse than you think. But maybe, I'm better. Hmm? I'm just saying, things like that can hurt a guy, ya know? Alright, now I'll just wait for everyone else to say what they want to say. I'm sure I'll get bashed some more, for apparently I don't know anything about anything.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ I wouldn't say it's horrible, I would just say it causes me to wake up in the middle of the night screaming. Seriously that thing is creepy.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The exact reason I changed to this avatar today was because its creepy. Creepy as hell. And I think thats hilarious.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
^^ AGH STOP TEH MINDGAMES!!!111 Can't unsee!!!

Where on Earth did you get that picture anyways?

EDIT: (Referencing SamuraiPanda's Avatar)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
An AP article on the heaviest man in the world getting some sort of surgery.... I think.

The only real thing I remember from the article (it was a long time ago) was that the dude was half a ton and looked scary as hell. So I saved the picture.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
You should show that picture to opponents before a match, they'll be to busy curled up in a corner to play you. Wow half a ton? That's quite heavy.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Lol stop sucking up. His avatar is horrible :ohwell:
I was thinking that. :laugh:

Next thing you know he's gonna be like "Oh yeah, and I think samurais are amazing. They're just great man, just great. And OMG, PANDAS ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMAL! WOW, you are so awesome! Just so, so awesome! You're like the awesomeness of samurai's combined with the awesomeness of pandas! You're fantastic, just fantastic!"

(J/K though :laugh:)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, and I think samurais are amazing. They're just great man, just great. And OMG, PANDAS ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMAL! WOW, you are so awesome! Just so, so awesome! You're like the awesomeness of samurai's combined with the awesomeness of pandas! You're fantastic, just fantastic!
I see nothing wrong with that :D

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
For all you know, he could be a mule of one of the top players.

Don't make assumptions with no evidence.
all I said was "I doubt you've ever been to a tournament."

I don't know what you are talking about.

Well, I certainly didn't expect this much chatter over a simple question by a supposed Smash n00b such as myself. Certainly is funny how things work out, yes? Just to clear things out (I know I haven't actually been accused of this) I'm not claiming myself to be the best player around. I'm sure I'm not. But, I also don't appriciate people judging me without actually having seen me play. So you think I'm not that great? You know what? Maybe I'm where you think I am, and maybe I'm worse than you think. But maybe, I'm better. Hmm? I'm just saying, things like that can hurt a guy, ya know? Alright, now I'll just wait for everyone else to say what they want to say. I'm sure I'll get bashed some more, for apparently I don't know anything about anything.
I didn't say anything like that
This is the internet. I cant make all my posts sound nice. However you were somewhat obnoxious in one of your posts =/

I'm sorry if I hurt you in anyway though.

and yeah, my mistake about yuna.

I could imagine a picture like that popping up on a screamer video.

I would **** ,myself if I saw anything like that.

BTW, that MasterChief for Brawl Sticky topic made me burst in laughter

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
An AP article on the heaviest man in the world getting some sort of surgery.... I think.

The only real thing I remember from the article (it was a long time ago) was that the dude was half a ton and looked scary as hell. So I saved the picture.

Hah, so you had the picture just sitting in your pics folder...waiting for the right time to strike. Did something in particular spur the change? (guess: teir lists)

Grunt

Smash Master
"Oh yeah, and I think Grunts are amazing. They're just great man, just great. And OMG, GRUNTS ARE MY FAVORITE ALIEN! WOW, you are so awesome! Just so, so awesome! You're like the awesomeness of Captain Falcon combined with the awesomeness of Chick Norris! You're fantastic, just fantastic!"
Fix'd ^1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom