• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Well scince fox did not get falco's blaster, id say falcos chance just got higher. and falco is supposed to be faster than fox, just look at assault. fox had 3star speed and falco had 4star speed

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Roy just had everything stacked against him. In a game of spacing, his attacks were only powerful enough when you were closer than the tip of the sword. In higher level play its jsut a lot to ask to be as slow as roy, and have to be right next to an opponent to deal your optimal damage. I'm not saying Roy is a bad character because he was my first main, but I've seen the light. He just doesn't measure up.

And I don't know about the C Falcon Ganon thing...

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Sounds like most people are saying Roy will be included because he's 'better' than Marth. Personally, I'll have to disagree, but that's not the point. Because it doesn't matter which one's better. You know why? Because it's a new game. So they could make Marth play in Brawl like Roy did in Melee. Or vice versa for that matter.

Rather than how the character plays, I think its far more important to consider the nature of the character. A few posts back roy_owns used the example of G.dorf and C. Falcon, so let's go with that. Assuming he/she is right, and most people DO play as G.dorf, do you think C. Falcon is going to get kicked and G.dorf kept? If you do, I certainly hope you aren't the betting sort, but if you are, please come to Minnesota and bring your wallet. C. Falcon is currently the only representation for his game, and he's been in the Smash Bros. series since the beginning. He may get retooled, but he ain't going anywhere. G.dorf, on the other hand, is just another Zelda character. Which there are many of already, and let's face it, there will probably be at least one more of in Brawl. Is he gonna get the boot? Who knows. Is he making the cut above C.Falcon? Ahahahaha. But seriously, I think the same logic can be applied to Marth and Roy.

Granted, I've never much followed the Fire Emblem series, but from what I've gathered, Marth is a fairly established character and Roy is like Pichu; included in hopes of selling a few games. Given the above established arguement that the characters are being retooled anyhow, why include a less popular/significant/important character skin/model/whatever, when you can just keep the mechanics (which from my impression is what people like about Roy) and apply them to the other face?

Of course, I could be wrong, but my point is that it isn't about which character plays 'better', because we don't have a fuzzy yellow electric idea how the characters will play until we play them (or at the very least see them in action).

Alright, I've said my peace (piece? peas? kees?), feel free to disagree.

Andy

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yeah how about no...I am very active.(taking your judging my post count...I have been working on that)
But when people type stuff like that, I can't help but reply and it raises my posts. Do you have to call me kid?

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
I just want to post something about my favorite charactor, Pikachu.

With perfectly round cheeks and a jagged tail,
this can only be that most familiar of Pokémon, Pikachu!

It may be small and agile, but its electricity gives it powerful attacks.
It’s what you would call an all-around character.
What's with calling Pikachu an "it?" Any Pokemaniac can tell you that Brawl's Pikachu is clearly a male.

As of Diamond and Pearl, different sprites were used to visually differentiate two different genders of the same Pokemon. This new feature is 100% canon within the Pokemon universe as of Diamond and Pearl. For Pikachu, the tips of the male's tail is flat, where the female's is notched.

Since Brawl's Pikachu's tail is flat at the end, "it" is therefore male. So why don't we just call him a "he?"

Fawriel

Smash Master
Interesting select screen, roy_owns. Awesome sprite of Lucas... seems like an edit of Wind Waker Link.

Yellow Mage, I would never have thought of actually checking that. Woah.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
^^^^
Alright Creo! Enough Rickrolling! I've already been scarred for life as it is.

And back on the subject of clones... shouldn't we bring this to the "Who's going to return?" thread?
Well, whatever. IMO, even though Captain Falcon is the only representative of F-Zero and Ganondorf is one of many Zelda characters, I see them both with great chances of returning. Ganondorf represents all that is evil in the land of Hyrule and has been the major villain has been the main enemy in about 95% of the Zelda games. Aside from that, he's just too popular a character in the Smash Universe, Zelda Universe, and Nintendo Universe to be given up.

Marth or Roy? Well, I'd say we clearly have to give the spot to Marth. Let's face it, Ike is making the cut for Brawl. He's one of the most popular FE characters ever (especially in America since we're starved for FE) and he's fresh/new. He's another sword, and we don't really need a more swords between Link, Marth, Meta Knight, Pit, Young Link, and Roy. Personally, I think Young Link has a better chance of returning than Roy because you need to play as Young Link so much differently than Link making him almost a Luigified character already (but he still has a bad chance of returning).

You may think Marth is faster than Roy and Roy is stronger than Marth, but if you get into the tournament scene you'll see that even though Marth has a quicker nA combo and can sprint faster, Roy can get attacks off just as fast if L-cancelled correctly. And Marth is, in fact, stronger than Roy if he can connect with tippers (which isn't hard to do with such a big hitbox). Marth is the all-around better character between the two. I've always thought of Roy as the littel brother of Marth who just wants to fight as well as his big brother but just can't do it with his physical limitations of speed and strength.

Marth>Roy
That's all I have to say.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
A few quick things;

1. I really hope that is not what the character select screen is like. Don't get me wrong, it's ver well made, but it represents a trend I don't like. To me, Smash Bros. was always about taking the protagonists from Nintendo's greatest games and pitting them against each other. But from most people's predictions and wishes, its looking like Mario Vs. Zelda Vs. Pokemon Vs. Starfox. I just want to see more franchises and less characters from franchises we've already seen too much from.

2. Creo, you make me laugh a lot. I should probably specify that I'm laughing with you, not at you. If you're not laughing, start now please.

3. Yellow Mage, I don't care what anyone else says, I find that piece of information very interesting. I am a Pika user myself (thought my username was a dead give away), and have always wondered why they couldn't just attach a gender to the little yellow fuzzy murderball. Hopefully he has learned his lesson from the Melee timeout box and has returned in full force to destroy all things that move, including, but not limited to his unqustionably "special" younger cousin.

4. cLueLeSs, first of all, your name is a ***** to spell, with all those crazy capital letters. This intrigues me. Second of all, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Ice Climbers and Game'N'Watch, regardless of anybody's predictions, are two of the least likely characters to be removed from Brawl. This is because they are original characters which are protagonists representing their franchises. No side character (I.E. Kristal, Wolf, Vaati, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, or Deoxys, to name a few conveniently present examples), from a series which is already represented, and of which they are an smaller or isnignificant part, is going to make the cut over classic gaming characters.
But hey, I've been wrong before.

5. What was the topic at hand again?

Take it easy folks.
Andy

HellsAngelLust

Smash Apprentice
Snake by my personal oppion will be bad *** 0-suit wow that shocked me come on when you think of samus u think of girl in big metal suit but now we get to see her come out her shell ( not trying to be funny but it is lol) as for pit... words do not descrivbe i can't wait to pick him and see how i can make him shine but anyway meta will own i mean just look how is i mean you cant look that cool and not have any good trick up his cape lol but anyway ummm wario i'm so not looking forward to his little far attack i think it is just nasty yet funny all at the same time lol. Fox keeps getting younger dosent he lol mario final smash is cool and so is link, pikachus and kirbys i cant wait to see the rest of the people and for TBA to be gone and i know how long i have to go out and buy a wii and this game ;p (and i wonder how many wiis will be sole b 4 this comes out lol

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I'd like to note about Pikachu, not as major as the gender thing, but note in the Nintendo World trailer at 1:38 where he uses his Down-Smash.

Previously, it was just a "bzzt," with some knockback (in Melee, I sometimes used this to deflect stuff like Link's Bombs, when I didn't feel like catching them).

But, as you see in the trailer, it's now a finely developed "BZAPZAPZAPZAPZAP!" And it appears to suck enemies in, rather then shoot them out, though the final "ZAP!" seems to send them flying somewhat.

Immediately after that confuses me somewhat, though, as Pikachu seems to flinch (an attempted and unnoticed attack from Zamus, maybe?), and after flinching, appears to fast-fall to the ground, indicating he was in the air the entire time . . .

- - - -

Upon closer inspection, it starts to look more like Pikachu's N-Air, but electrically charged. But how could have been static within the air like that (no pun intended)?

- - - -

It now appears to me that Pikachu's doing something that looks like an electric version of Jigglypuff's Rollout, which would explain the upward recoil of hitting Zamus, but doesn't explain how he was holding Mario in like that. Abused glitch found in the video? If so, you'll bet it'd be fixed by the time it hits stores. Either way, this would mean Pikachu gets a better Side-Special move then that notably stupid Skull Bash of Melee.

But this is all speculation. What do you all think of that segment between 1:38 and 1:40?

Oh, and what worries me now is the amount of knockback Mario inflicted upon Pikachu with what I assume is his F-Air at the beggining of the video, which looked like the beggining of that fight (if it wasn't, the time of day would have changed by then). It looked like it really hurt, though not as much as the double-KO of Kirby's concurrent Up-Smash.

Hopefully, that fight had been going on for at least a moderately good while . . .

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well Sakurai did say he wanted aerial battles to enhance throught this game so maybe a hint there!? I am not going to watch the trailer and I personally don't care but nevertheless, good discovery if your eye's didn't decive you.

CartooN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CartoooN
check out this one (This menu IS fake they might be on we just don't know yet)
I would be realy happy with that line up (With the aception of more 3rd party characters like sonic, Im still in firm belief that it should be just nintendo characters.) But otherwise that would be an awesome line up.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think these are best left for discussion on threads of a corresponding topic. I mean, a majority of what we say here ends up in off-topic rants, but the pictures are rather large and just don't pertain at all really. Less than a quarter of those characters are confirmed, so I say, "NO MORE PROPOSED SCREENS!"

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
This is confirmed characters though. I enjoy seeing who people are hoping for...when I look at the threads about brawl hopefuls.

Didn't want to make it all about me, but it stretches my stupid computers screen awkwardly.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
@roy_owns:
Nope, no problem with WTF Characters, just Waluigi. Anyone else, I'm pretty down for.

The one character I'd like to see more than most would be Vaati. He's almost as cool as Ganondorf, plus he's the ultimate villain of the handheld + cel-shaded Zelda games. I feel he has a good chance of making it, especially if Cel-shaded Young Link makes it.

Can't wait for E3. I need some new characters baby! Let's finish off the Newcomers list this week with Meta Knight, Zamus, and Snake. Following that, they should give us everything about Smash we already know, then all new stuff! No more disappointing updates!

Sensai

Smash Master
Dyce...did you play Wind Waker? 'Cause Vaati certainly wasn't there...

Oh, you must be talkin' about 4 Swords and (maybe) Phantom Hourglass. Forgot about those. Me bad.

Cygnus X-1

Smash Rookie
Zelda is a CONFIRMED Character in SSMB! I don't know if people know it or not, but i just saw it on the Smashbros Dojo site!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Her moves look identical to Melee Zelda. I think I even see Din's Fire in the bottom-right picture...so maybe Sheik will return after all?

Epsilonis

Smash Cadet
But with her Twilight Princess attire it would be pretty ******** if she can turn into Shiek. My money is on a Shiek update as a stand-alone character..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom