• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
so everything their is a joke, dame, i was excited to.

has anyone heard anything on sonic by this sakurai guy, also, if you are getting the updates from a site, please put the url in one of the next posts please (god im such a noob)

Fawriel

Smash Master
*insert Gardevoir fanboyism here*

*insert Aeris fanboyism here*

*send money here *points at self**

There's a rumor that Pokey's in Brawl? That would surely be... unique. I'm still for Lucas, though. I'd like a Brawl with some new faces. Classic characters are nice and all, but I've seen them so often...

That's one reason I think Jigglypuff should be cut. She'd be one of three puffballs now. And all of the strengths she has should actually belong to Kirby ( except for Rest and Rollout, of course... ).
I've had the thought that Jiggly won't be the first character you unlock anymore by clearing any Single Player mode on any difficulty... I think this honor will now go to MetaKnight, who is sure to play a big role in Subspace Emissary. There will probably be a battle against him at some point... on any difficulty. Afterwards, naturally, he's unlocked.
With the way he was presented, I wouldn't doubt that he's the quintessential unlockable dude of the game.

*shrugs*

Dynamism

Smash Lord
MK is my hero! I was SOOOO disapointed that he wasn't in melee...
Unlockable would be cool but I wouldn't mind him as a starter, I just wanna be Meta Knight!
Jigglypuff should still be the first secret! It's the history of smash bros lol

I'm glad everybody has thoughts about the Ness Lucas debate...It really pissed me off back in the day when Brawl was first announced that everyone was all "Ness shouldn't come back, he sucks"
****ERS!! Personally, Ness I KNOW will be in and Lucas has a good chance, but Paula or Kumatara would be my preferences as the 2/3rd M/EB char.

Ness, Lucas and Paula FTW!

P.S. I always called Ivysaur a she?

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
MK is my hero! I was SOOOO disapointed that he wasn't in melee...
Unlockable would be cool but I wouldn't mind him as a starter, I just wanna be Meta Knight!
Jigglypuff should still be the first secret! It's the history of smash bros lol

I'm glad everybody has thoughts about the Ness Lucas debate...It really pissed me off back in the day when Brawl was first announced that everyone was all "Ness shouldn't come back, he sucks"
****ERS!! Personally, Ness I KNOW will be in and Lucas has a good chance, but Paula or Kumatara would be my preferences as the 2/3rd M/EB char.

Ness, Lucas and Paula FTW!

P.S. I always called Ivysaur a she?
MK i think is a starter. otherwise they would not have put him in the first preview. duh

oh and to the Ness/lucus debate, lucus should not be in. in the first two mother games a form of ness, paula, and jeff are al displayed sort of the same (hint the diferent grafics) poo was less buff in the second mother, yet none the less he was in both.

i think they should stick to original characters for ssbb because char's like waluigi, or peety parahna would most likely not make it in because they are still a little new to the gaming world.

oh and................GO SONIC AND TAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
*insert Gardevoir fanboyism here*

*insert Aeris fanboyism here*

*send money here *points at self**

There's a rumor that Pokey's in Brawl? That would surely be... unique. I'm still for Lucas, though. I'd like a Brawl with some new faces. Classic characters are nice and all, but I've seen them so often...

That's one reason I think Jigglypuff should be cut. She'd be one of three puffballs now. And all of the strengths she has should actually belong to Kirby ( except for Rest and Rollout, of course... ).
I've had the thought that Jiggly won't be the first character you unlock anymore by clearing any Single Player mode on any difficulty... I think this honor will now go to MetaKnight, who is sure to play a big role in Subspace Emissary. There will probably be a battle against him at some point... on any difficulty. Afterwards, naturally, he's unlocked.
With the way he was presented, I wouldn't doubt that he's the quintessential unlockable dude of the game.

*shrugs*
I have a fanboy! :grin: I feel so proud. *sends money to Fawriel*

Meta Knight will be unlocked by clearing Adventure Mode. My view of MK aligns with yours, though.

I know nothing of Lucas--except that Sakurai loves him. If one of the original four were to get the boot, I would first suspect Ness, then Jiggs. Weren't they going to remove Jiggs in Melee anyway but kept her because of her popularity? Maybe her fame has waned and they will be more inclined to bring in a new character in her stead....

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.

Meta Knight will be unlocked by clearing Adventure Mode. My view of MK aligns with yours, though.

I know nothing of Lucas--except that Sakurai loves him. If one of the original four were to get the boot, I would first suspect Ness, then Jiggs. Weren't they going to remove Jiggs in Melee anyway but kept her because of her popularity? Maybe her fame has waned and they will be more inclined to bring in a new character in her stead....
I dunno, I still think MK is going to be a starter. I mean, if he was unlockable through clearing Adventure mode, wouldn't we have gotten our first look at him when the new Adventure mode (Subspace Emissary) was revealed, as opposed to when the game was first announced? Just doesn't add up to me. Of course, Sakurai has proved more than once to be a sneaky weasel.

Jiggs wasn't going to be in Melee? What? Source? I don't remember ever hearing that. I get the strong impression that, along with too much of what we consider fact, was a rumor that somewhere along the line became someone's version of fact.

Also, are you sending money to all of your fanboys? :grin:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I dunno, I still think MK is going to be a starter. I mean, if he was unlockable through clearing Adventure mode, wouldn't we have gotten our first look at him when the new Adventure mode (Subspace Emissary) was revealed, as opposed to when the game was first announced? Just doesn't add up to me. Of course, Sakurai has proved more than once to be a sneaky weasel.

Jiggs wasn't going to be in Melee? What? Source? I don't remember ever hearing that. I get the strong impression that, along with too much of what we consider fact, was a rumor that somewhere along the line became someone's version of fact.

Also, are you sending money to all of your fanboys? :grin:
One word: hype. Why wait to reveal MK through the Subspace Emissary (notice that the Halberd is the source of the baddies) when you can build anticipation right from the beginning by revealing MK as a playable character? Sakurai has yet to specify as to whether or not MK will be on the default roster, but it appears as though he will be "evil" within the context of the Subspace Emissary, a role which would lend itself well to a hidden character (or vice versa).

Blah, I can't remember where I read that. I know that Jiggs replaced Pit in SSB64, which was truly a good thing; seeing Pit's new look was definitely worth the wait. I can try and find the source of my statement when I'm not so tired and sore from vball.

And I'll be more than happy to send you money if you pledge to me your undying devotion as a fanboy. :chuckle:

Devastlian

Smash Lord
I wonder if Meta Knight really is behind it to some degree, though. Someone else could just be using his ship and framing him and all of that. Like King Dedede or someone posessing someone or something. There's also that screenshot where you seem to be playing as Meta Knight in the adventure mode, as well, which makes it seem like he isn't that bad.

The rAt

Smash Ace
Aeris, I know what you mean about hype, but why hype Metaknight and not Ike or Pokemon Trainer (who I assume are both starters)? One could say that it is because of Metaknight's role as the "bad guy" of the series, but the only reason we see him in that role is because of Subspace Emissary, hence my question about why Sakurai would reveal him before SE. In essence what I meant why is why hype MK (unlockable character who will have no more significance than other potential revealees until Subspace Emissary is revealed, at which point he could reveal MK and still get hype) by revealing him in the first video instead of a starter character (PT or Ike) who we'll get right away? Especially when (we assume) Sakurai is keeping a general policy of keeping the secret characters... well, a secret.

Also, what kind of cash are we talking here?

Dev, good question. Honestly, I don't know if I agree that we're even supposed to think he's the antagonist. Seems like most of what we've seen that suggests it could be circumstantial (sp?).

Sensai

Smash Master
Why hype Metaknight? BECAUSE METAKNIGHT IS FCUKING AWESOME.

And with that, Sensai makes his triumphant return!

I noticed we were talking about Yoshi a while back (read: 10 pages, i.e., yesterday) and I would like to point out that his grab, Melee style, is SHORTER then Marth's. Yes, I'm ****in' serious. The kid needs some crazy *** lovin'.

I think, Dev, that we're supposed to believe that he's behind at least a part of it. Remember, Sakurai is originally HAL, meaning crazy Kirby loving, meaning...anti-Metaknight. Jeah, it's a stretch, but it makes at least a little bit of sense.

And what is this about free money? And Fawriel, I thought that you were MY fanboy!! Oh well, Aeris and I will share.

<3

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
<Jossy> there is an animal crossing character in brawl
<Jossy> the stage on the site has its own logo
<Jossy> no need for an animal crossing logo if there wasnt a character in it for brawl...
<Jossy> the logo is a 'leaf'
<branespload> i better check
<Jossy> and there is also a 'mother' character, probably ness
<Jossy> because that item has the earth logo we all know
<Jossy> http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/list.html : LOGOS
<Jossy> LOGOS STAGES: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/stages/list.html
<Jossy> samurai goroh also has the F-ZERO X logo
<Jossy> so basicly
<Jossy> Capt. Falcon and Ness are now semi-confirmed
<Jossy> and so is an Animal Crossing character
<branespload> oh
<branespload> speculation
<Jossy> theres no need for a logo if there is no character from it
<Jossy> because
<Jossy> otherwise they'd use the standard Super Smash logo

Taken from:
irc://irc.rizon.no/ssbb

Server: irc.rizon.no Channel: #ssbb

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I think since Metaknight also will be able to play through the SE that he probably isn't the cause of it. I don't think nintendo would want you to play through SE as the cause of that stuff and win (doesn't fit with their good guys always win thing).

However I agree with Sensai, METAKNIGHT IS FCUKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs no hype...he creates it by his mere presence.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
<Jossy> Tom Nook is in Brawl...
<Jossy> appearantly , Tom Nook's name is in Japanese "Tanuki"
<Devastlian> Tom Nook is a tanuki.
<Devastlian> Which is a kind of racoon.
<Jossy> the Japanese version of the games Nook is actually a Tanuki and indeed his name, Tom Nook sounds similar to Tanuki and his store's logo is that of the mythical leaf that Tanuki are said to be able to change objects into.+
<Jossy> and look at the animal crossing logo , and his shop logo in the game: A LEAF
<Jossy> i was wondering why they made it a leaf
<Jossy> Tom Nook is in brawl...

Taken from: irc://irc.rizon.no/ssbb
Server: irc.rizon.no
Channel: #ssbb

Fawriel

Smash Master
"Da-da-da-daaaaaaaah!
You got a green rupee!
Don't spend it all at once!"

As for Metaknight, well... he was pretty highly requested for Melee and people love him, so they were all like "yay Metaknight" when they saw the trailer, now there are updates and everyone's all "where's Metaknight" and then Sakurai reveals Subspace Emissary and everyone's like "There's Metaknight, but what the hell is he doing!"
That guy's getting all kinds of hype. Sakurai's making him seem mysterious...

I believe this means that he will be the final update concerning Subspace Emissary ( hints towards his role ) and the first update starting the revelation of unlockables.
So far, all the newcomers that were revealed are most likely starters. Ike and Pokemon Trainer also seem like starter types.
Unlockables are usually villains ( won't readily start joining in a jolly battle like this before you defeat them ), sidekicks ( not important enough to be starters ) or completely new and somewhat surprising guys.
Fire Emblem characters are not a surprise anymore, so Ike's probably a starter, and Trainer is just... the type of guy you start with, eh?
It's hard to argue a point completely based on gut feelings.
And I can't think here...

And Fawriel, I thought that you were MY fanboy!!
Source?

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe

And with that, Sensai makes his triumphant return!

I noticed we were talking about Yoshi a while back (read: 10 pages, i.e., yesterday) and I would like to point out that his grab, Melee style, is SHORTER then Marth's. Yes, I'm ****in' serious. The kid needs some crazy *** lovin'.

I think, Dev, that we're supposed to believe that he's behind at least a part of it. Remember, Sakurai is originally HAL, meaning crazy Kirby loving, meaning...anti-Metaknight. Jeah, it's a stretch, but it makes at least a little bit of sense.

And what is this about free money? And Fawriel, I thought that you were MY fanboy!! Oh well, Aeris and I will share.

<3
Thank you for pointing out that Yoshi thing...That's exactly the kind of re-vamping he needs! Many nic nacs and gimmicks can be thrown into this game for everycharacter and Yoshi can totally become one of those characters that "you can get good fast, but to be great in another question" because he should have versitiliy out the ying-yang. (Yoshi's yy is a big one too)

And yes META KNIGHT IS ****IN AWESOME!

I think since Metaknight also will be able to play through the SE that he probably isn't the cause of it. I don't think nintendo would want you to play through SE as the cause of that stuff and win (doesn't fit with their good guys always win thing).

However I agree with Sensai, METAKNIGHT IS FCUKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs no hype...he creates it by his mere presence.
So, true...META KNIGHT IS FCUKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

"Da-da-da-daaaaaaaah!
You got a green rupee!
Don't spend it all at once!"

As for Metaknight, well... he was pretty highly requested for Melee and people love him, so they were all like "yay Metaknight" when they saw the trailer, now there are updates and everyone's all "where's Metaknight" and then Sakurai reveals Subspace Emissary and everyone's like "There's Metaknight, but what the hell is he doing!"
That guy's getting all kinds of hype. Sakurai's making him seem mysterious...

I believe this means that he will be the final update concerning Subspace Emissary ( hints towards his role ) and the first update starting the revelation of unlockables.
So far, all the newcomers that were revealed are most likely starters. Ike and Pokemon Trainer also seem like starter types.
Unlockables are usually villains ( won't readily start joining in a jolly battle like this before you defeat them ), sidekicks ( not important enough to be starters ) or completely new and somewhat surprising guys.
Fire Emblem characters are not a surprise anymore, so Ike's probably a starter, and Trainer is just... the type of guy you start with, eh?
It's hard to argue a point completely based on gut feelings.
And I can't think here...

Source?
Yes Ike is a starter...I was expecting Marth to be the FE started but what ev'/Since when is Bowser unlockable or Jiggs a villian? jk lol
Seriously though, "Theory on Meta Knight!

Me quoted 08/04/07

I think Kirby and Mario fight for the "royalties entertainment" sort of thing, then the black things come. Mario gets ambushed and he is stalled while the others are captured. As the ship flies away with them inside, Zelda comunicates with Link through the triforce or something and he goes to save her but he needs help. She tells him Kirby and Peach are there too and so Link goes to get Yoshi for help. He finds Yoshi but they are too late.
Mario: Fighting black dudes.
Peach and Zelda: escape and have to save Mario and Kirby
Kirby: Has to fight Meta Knight on the ship to his doom
Link and Yoshi: Travel following the ship
Along the way: Samus and Fox are imformed and come to help (Fox being shot at by Halberg)
Pit is on his own quest and Platuna tells him they're (Peach ect.) in danger and he later leaves to find them.
After Kirby fights Meta Knight, Meta Knight tells Kirby that the "dark magic guys" have taken over his ship and he's just playing along as a bad guy to find a way to stop them or find their plan.
At the end, Master hand has devised a plot to put an end to the SUPER SMASH BROS forever

Meta Knight as a starter though!

And yes! I almost cried when he wasn't in melee!!!!! :cry: Saki healed my broken heart with Brawl!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Aeris, I know what you mean about hype, but why hype Metaknight and not Ike or Pokemon Trainer (who I assume are both starters)? One could say that it is because of Metaknight's role as the "bad guy" of the series, but the only reason we see him in that role is because of Subspace Emissary, hence my question about why Sakurai would reveal him before SE. In essence what I meant why is why hype MK (unlockable character who will have no more significance than other potential revealees until Subspace Emissary is revealed, at which point he could reveal MK and still get hype) by revealing him in the first video instead of a starter character (PT or Ike) who we'll get right away? Especially when (we assume) Sakurai is keeping a general policy of keeping the secret characters... well, a secret.

Also, what kind of cash are we talking here?
Remember, though, that the trailer was first announced back in May of 2006. The game had been in production for less than a year at that point, so it's very possible that the five announced newcomers were the only five that had been set in stone as appearing on the playable roster. Also, MK was so heavily requested for both Melee and Brawl that Sakurai probably felt as thogh it would be better to let the fans know that he had not ignored their pleas entirely. Another fact to consider: this is possibly Sakurai's last game, his final opportunity to flaunt the characters that he loves so much. MK or DeDeDe would have been fine choices to include in the trailer; Sakurai just happened to use MK instead.

Fawriel received a green rupee, and I'm more than happy to send you one, as well. It was green for Fawriel to match YLink's tunic and green for you to match your font color.

<3
Agreed. Meta Knight is pretty darn cool.

And I'm more than happy to share fanboys with you, Sensai. :chuckle:

Armagopalypse

Smash Journeyman
Remember, though, that the trailer was first announced back in May of 2006. The game had been in production for less than a year at that point, so it's very possible that the five announced newcomers were the only five that had been set in stone as appearing on the playable roster. Also, MK was so heavily requested for both Melee and Brawl that Sakurai probably felt as thogh it would be better to let the fans know that he had not ignored their pleas entirely. Another fact to consider: this is possibly Sakurai's last game, his final opportunity to flaunt the characters that he loves so much. MK or DeDeDe would have been fine choices to include in the trailer; Sakurai just happened to use MK instead.

Pretty well said in my opinion. I've always liked Meta Knight, and it's about time they have more representation from the Kirby series than just Kirby. Metaknight seemed like a very popular character to me, and why hype more characters from, say, the pokemon series. Heck, pokemon gets enough publicity already, and sakurai showing a little favoritism for his favorite characters isn't surprising. Personally, I was probably more excited about Metaknight when I saw that E3 trailer than any other character.

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
And yes! I almost cried when he wasn't in melee!!!!! :cry: Saki healed my broken heart with Brawl!
I had some similar reactions. I was so sure of it that each series would be represented by at least two characters (except for Earthbound and Yoshi). I was betting on Meta Knight, Diddy and Ridley to show up!

Oh well, Brawl brings us all a new chance! :)

By the way has anyone read my last comment? The question still stands:

I've been wondering... are there threads for characters from certain Nintendo series that appear in Smash Bros.?

Such as a thread only for Starfox characters, another one only for Zelda characters and so forth...
So, can anyone help me further? Please?

Stryks

Smash Hero
... Dude the games been out sin 2001, and you have just NOW figured that out... dear god I bet u discover wavedash by urself right around SSB4 is announced...

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
I dunno if anyone has discovered this or not, but when youre playing as Peach float till you are linear and keeps you in the straight line, after that use as many of your smash moves as you want using the c-stick.You stay in the air for a while and you get to do crazy amounts smash moves for funny looking mid-air battles. Also using this, you can short float (by holding down then holding jump) and do the shortest aerials in the game. TRY IT! and tell me how it worked out for you. I want to hear responses!! :) (make sure you hold the jump button while you do it)
wow u must not watch any vids of pro Peach players....:laugh:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I think it's high time for another character announcement. Give us something new to talk about here...
Me, I'm going for C. Falcon.
C-falcon, ha, no it will definatly be Luigi. or they will anounce another new character (or not) anyway, i wont ssbb to completly un clone Luigi from Mario, that would be awsome

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
C-falcon, ha, no it will definatly be Luigi. or they will anounce another new character (or not) anyway, i wont ssbb to completly un clone Luigi from Mario, that would be awsome
Well, to be fair, he's not actually a clone at all.

Regardless, I don't see his similarities disappearing. Mario and Luigi, by nature, are just too alike. Sure, Luigi has his unique qualities, but he's pretty much meant to be similar to Mario, I think. Not in a clone way, but. . . well, Luigified. I think he's pretty good as is, though I always thought Green Missile was kind of lame.

The rAt

Smash Ace

Fawriel received a green rupee, and I'm more than happy to send you one, as well. It was green for Fawriel to match YLink's tunic and green for you to match your font color.

Agreed. Meta Knight is pretty darn cool.

And I'm more than happy to share fanboys with you, Sensai. :chuckle:
In regards to MK, that's kind what I mean. I mean, why go to all of the trouble of showing him off and appeasing the fans, only to make us unlock him? I just don't get it.

Rupees, eh? Well, I was sort of hoping you'd pay in Gil, but I suppose I could start saving for a new bomb bag.

Also, who are my fanboys, dangit? Oh, yeah, I've been around too long and everyone's tired of me.

... Dude the games been out sin 2001, and you have just NOW figured that out... dear god I bet u discover wavedash by urself right around SSB4 is announced...
I can think of at least ten nicer ways to say that. Also, knowing the Smash Bros. terminology has nothing to do with being a good player. In fact, it is just as often used as a crutch by poor players trying to make themselves look better.
I won't argue that there are plenty of folks in the world who could stand to be taken down a notch but I'm fairly certain NEOLINK isn't one of them.
On a lighter note, I almost typed "crotch" again. What is going on in my mind this week. :psycho:

...Who does. You must not have anything better to do... anyway Luigi confirmed tomorrow!
Good luck with that one. He's unlockable two games running. Pretty sure he'll keep the streak going.

Yeah, I think it's high time for another character announcement. Give us something new to talk about here...
Me, I'm going for C. Falcon.
Lol, we just got one friday, how many more do you want? Seriously though, I agree; I think Falcon will be the next one we see. Unless Sakurai's got another bomb waiting for us.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Rupees, eh? Well, I was sort of hoping you'd pay in Gil, but I suppose I could start saving for a new bomb bag.

Also, who are my fanboys, dangit? Oh, yeah, I've been around too long and everyone's tired of me.

On a lighter note, I almost typed "crotch" again. What is going on in my mind this week. :psycho:

Lol, we just got one friday, how many more do you want? Seriously though, I agree; I think Falcon will be the next one we see. Unless Sakurai's got another bomb waiting for us.
I spent all my Gil buying flowers from that pretty flower girl. What was her name again?

(Actually, I've been around longer and people aren't sick of me yet. Maybe you just need more time to ripen? :chuckle: Just kidding! I'll be your fanboy. Anyone that can admit that they consistently type "crotch" as a mistake--Freudian slip or otherwise--is worthy of admiration in my book).

And there's no way we're getting a character update today. We'll probably get a character this week, though.

If a veteran: Captain Falcon, Ness
If a newcomer: Lucas, AC Rep

Repryx

Smash Champion
Oops Yeah I was Wrong I think we get a new one every 2 weeks...Lemme GO check Im sleepy waiting for it...THis Game better not Suck All these NIghts Im anticipating Sakurai Next Word

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
Link's Special Moves, eh? Good to see how the veterans keep their old moves, but with a new twist.

Hmmm... A chargeable Spin Attack, the Gale Boomerang and a Clawshot Grab that aims for the closest edge automatically? Not bad, really, not bad...

I'm happy with these changes because Link is one of my favorites back in Melee.

I hope that when they make updates for other veteran's special moves that they show us all at once, just like they did here.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I'm really curious about whether or not Peach will get a Special Moves update...

Repryx

Smash Champion
Link's Special Moves, eh? Good to see how the veterans keep their old moves, but with a new twist.

Hmmm... A chargeable Spin Attack, the Gale Boomerang and a Clawshot Grab that aims for the closest edge automatically? Not bad, really, not bad...

I'm happy with these changes because Link is one of my favorites back in Melee.

I hope that when they make updates for other veteran's special moves that they show us all at once, just like they did here.
Ive got solution for you Link Lover....Now Learn the truth about Link!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YkUtkUjw2b8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wihbKTfLFBg

You gotta Watch the whole thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom