• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, a chakram (Which is what Min Min's Ramram is) is a throwable weapon as far as I know, and also, haven't you heard of the term, "fists are flying"?

Also, just because something's been up for a super long time doesn't mean it won't be true. I mean, look at stuff like ESRB or that Ken leak.
Tbf those were quite different leaks. One was an image and several gameplay videos which were pretty much confirmed to be legit while the Ken leak was also a pretty legit image leak and were both out for about half a year at most before anything was confirned. Milk Bosatu on the other hand is a text leak which has gotten a few small things right which has been out since October 2018. Ken leak didn't even exist 2 months actually. Came out on September 22nd IIRC and was confirmed November 1st
If I may recall, the Hero leak was text-only (with just a codename as evidence), ran for a long time (since around Fall 2018) and was written off as fake, particularly by some who'd want anyone else other than them as the next SE fighter, and here we are.

We can't tell if lightning will strike twice.

I'm sure we'll get news of the arms character very soon :)
You and Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 have gut feelings to go on from, and I have no idea if that'll be enough.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
To be honest, I have the feeling that we will get the Sakurai Presentation date tomorrow for the sole fact that I will go under a small surgical operation and therefore won't be able to follow the news exactly at the time where news usually drop... Every time I won't be able to follow news, they happen. That's a pattern that I believe in more than any so called Nintendo pattern :p

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If I may recall, the Hero leak was text-only, ran for a long time (since around Fall 2018) and was written off as fake, particularly by some who'd want anyone else other than them as the next SE fighter, and here we are.

We can't tell if lightning will strike twice.

You and Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 have gut feelings to go on from, and I have no idea if that'll be enough.
Depends what you mean by Dragon quest rumours. All I recall was several reputable sources hinting at Erdrick (or Hero) and some outright confirming it while Milk Bosatu is a text leak backed by one user who, again, had this info over a year ago and has gotten a few minor things right. Compare that to say, Vergeben saying 2 characters were being thrown around inside who are alts of Hero being in the 7 Squares list and leaking nearly all base game stuff then I think I know who people are more likely to place stock into

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Depends what you mean by Dragon quest rumours. All I recall was several reputable sources hinting at Erdrick (or Hero) and some outright confirming it while Milk Bosatu is a text leak backed by one user who, again, had this info over a year ago and has gotten a few minor things right. Compare that to say, Vergeben saying 2 characters were being thrown around inside who are alts of Hero being in the 7 Squares list and leaking nearly all base game stuff then I think I know who people are more likely to place stock into
The earliest I've found in terms of Hero rumors were from Milk-BOSATSU themselves, dating as far back as October 2018, where they said they'd be in the game with no female alts, and sure enough, all we got were Eleven, Arusu, Solo and Eight, with no females. As far as Square-Enix in general goes, those rumors were from Vergeben on August 2018, as well as that Seven Squares list that you mentioned.

So crunching the numbers, rumors of the Hero in Smash were around for eight months before he was announced if were sticking with DQ. If we're sticking with a new Square character in general, that bumps it up to 10 months. So yeah, those rumors were going around for almost a year and ended up being true.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The earliest I've found in terms of Hero rumors were from Milk-BOSATSU themselves, dating as far back as October 2018, where they said they'd be in the game with no female alts, and sure enough, all we got were Eleven, Arusu, Solo and Eight, with no females. As far as Square-Enix in general goes, those rumors were from Vergeben on August 2018, as well as that Seven Squares list that you mentioned.

So crunching the numbers, rumors of the Hero in Smash were around for eight months before he was announced if were sticking with DQ. If we're sticking with a new Square character in general, that bumps it up to 10 months. So yeah, those rumors were going around for almost a year and ended up being true.
There were definitely rumours of Dragon Quest going around earlier at least slightly iirc. I think it was Leaky Pandy. That any have been earlier though. Dragon Quest was being very slightly tossed around by April 2018.

Either way I honestly think that Milk Bosatu is inevitably going to be like one of those 4chan posts that predicted something correctly but was minor or open enough that it was fake and just gets buried.

On June 17th Milk Bosatu tweeted that their source apparently saw an incomplete model which was assumedly before that. Unless we are seriously speculating that they started developing the ARMS character as far back as June last year it probably has nothing to do with ARMS. Either it is fake, it was talking about female Byleth and maybe misinterpreting something or some stage cameo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
On June 17th Milk Bosatu tweeted that their source apparently saw an incomplete model which was assumedly before that. Unless we are seriously speculating that they started developing the ARMS character as far back as June last year it probably has nothing to do with ARMS. Either it is fake, it was talking about female Byleth and maybe misinterpreting something or some stage cameo.
Right, but here's the thing: they said that the female looked like someone from a fighting game, and wears Japanese clothes. Byleth looks like a JRPG character (Which is fitting considering his/her game of origin) in more European armor, and the only female that is actually from fighting games and wears Japanese clothing is Yuri Sakazaki on KoF Stadium. Though I can see it with the gi and the headband, the stockings and sneakers just seem offputting to me in that regard. Then again, to which degree of how Japanese the apparel is is unclear to me, so it's still hard to tell.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Right, but here's the thing: they said that the female looked like someone from a fighting game, and wears Japanese clothes. Byleth looks like a JRPG character (Which is fitting considering his/her game of origin) in more European armor, and the only female that is actually from fighting games and wears Japanese clothing is Yuri Sakazaki on KoF Stadium. Though I can see it with the gi and the headband, the stockings and sneakers just seem offputting to me in that regard. Then again, to which degree of how Japanese the apparel is is unclear to me, so it's still hard to tell.
In that case, it may have pertained to some mii costume if they are made far in advance but unless we are really squinting in our rose tinted glasses, the ARMS character almost definitely has no association with it unless we seriously suggest they finalised and worked on the ARMS character for the past year.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
What's fake the Milk-Bosatsu leak?
Sorry, maybe I shouldn't act as if I know it, but , well, mostly I say that because most rumors or leaks are fake, specially for DLC, which looks more hermetic than the base game. Also I didn't know about this leak before posting, it was a mistake, I was thinking in the Squirtle amiibo thing again.
Talking now about this Milk-guy it seems very weak to me, 'My source saw it at Nintendo HQ' sounds like a troll posting, and also very vague if we're talking about Min Min. From a fighting game, OK, I take the boomerang too, and yes, she's asian, but the oufit is more sport clothing than anything else. Also, you see a model of Min Min and don't notice about the long arms? Weird to be her.
I dunno, is an old leak and this guy got some things correct, but it doesn't means that this one is also a good shot. Vergeben calling. And if it talks about the Ramen Bomber I see it as a strech. Even if it's her, we couldn't be sure.
Personally I'm not putting much money on it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well let's wait and see what tomorrow brings. Maybe we'll get another Paper Mario Origami King style announcement.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Someone did being up earlier that with Byleth we got spirits earlier? Maybe about 20 minutes or so iirc? Wouldn't confirm anything but it may indicate something at least

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
Someone did being up earlier that with Byleth we got spirits earlier? Maybe about 20 minutes or so iirc? Wouldn't confirm anything but it may indicate something at least
You might be refering to me. I was referring to the week Byleth was announced. the Presentation was announced on the Tuesday, Spirit event was announced Wednesday (Astral Chain) and then the presentation itself was the Thursday.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
You might be refering to me. I was referring to the week Byleth was announced. the Presentation was announced on the Tuesday, Spirit event was announced Wednesday (Astral Chain) and then the presentation itself was the Thursday.
I think I saw someone else post something in Newcome Spec but that must have been false info. I don't know why as I somehow thought the Astral Chain spirit event happened earlier

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman
I think I saw someone else post something in Newcome Spec but that must have been false info. I don't know why as I somehow thought the Astral Chain spirit event happened earlier
Just double checked incase I was wrong. Smash's in-game news section lists Jan 15th as the announcement date for the AC spirits. Youtube lists the 16th as the Byleth presentation. Oddly the weekend Byleth released we got River City Ransom spirits rather than a tourney featuring Byleth, which came the following week.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Just double checked incase I was wrong. Smash's in-game news section lists Jan 15th as the announcement date for the AC spirits. Youtube lists the 16th as the Byleth presentation. Oddly the weekend Byleth released we got River City Ransom spirits rather than a tourney featuring Byleth, which came the following week.
I checked the Japanese Twitter, and it was announced on January 13th, on a Monday.

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/1216887655172132864

MattX20

Smash Hero
The next two days will be worth keeping our eyes on since the potential direct/presentation will happen no later than Thursday this week

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I want everyone to do a mental exercise. Let's say you were in charge of picking the ARMS character for Smash. This would be the only one and no alts of other characters. I want you to remove all outside factors such as: Spring Man being an AT, Min Min being popular, Min Min winning the final Party Crash, Spring Man being on all the promotional material, and your own personal favoritism.

I want you to decide who it is based on the character in a vacuum. Based what they are in the game, what their abilities are, home stage, and so on. Imagine you never heard of ARMS and you were just tasked to pick someone based on their own merits. Who would it be and why?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
To be honest, I have the feeling that we will get the Sakurai Presentation date tomorrow for the sole fact that I will go under a small surgical operation and therefore won't be able to follow the news exactly at the time where news usually drop... Every time I won't be able to follow news, they happen. That's a pattern that I believe in more than any so called Nintendo pattern :p
Good luck tomorrow!
I want everyone to do a mental exercise. Let's say you were in charge of picking the ARMS character for Smash. This would be the only one and no alts of other characters. I want you to remove all outside factors such as: Spring Man being an AT, Min Min being popular, Min Min winning the final Party Crash, Spring Man being on all the promotional material, and your own personal favoritism.

I want you to decide who it is based on the character in a vacuum. Based what they are in the game, what their abilities are, home stage, and so on. Imagine you never heard of ARMS and you were just tasked to pick someone based on their own merits. Who would it be and why?
Spring Man cause he's the main character and the all-around guy, so you can basically stick any ARMS on him without it feeling out of place and make a mechanic that's all about stretchy arms. Best way to represent ARMS with a single character imo.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Ohhh...that's a tricky one, Koopaul.

I'd have to say it's a tie between Max Brass and Dr. Coyle.

Max Brass because he's the top dog of the ARMS League lorewise and as one of the two final bosses of the arcade mode, and his Bulk Up mechanic is something that can be easily implemented, almost like if Bowser's Tough Guy or K. Rool's Belly Armor was not a passive trait. Additionally, what's the stage you always end up in regardless of who you play? His own stage, Sky Arena. Max Brass is super important to ARMS as a whole and it shows in not just lore, but in the gameplay.

Dr. Coyle, on the other hand, would be a couple of firsts: a female villain and the first villain to be in Smash over the protagonist. She has an untraditional jump and the ability to go invisible on command, which would be something not seen in Smash before. Dr. Coyle is also important lorewise because she's basically the mother of two members of the roster: Springtron and Helix. You could also say she's like the Akuma of ARMS: only shows up to replace the final boss when certain conditions are met and is godawfully difficult to fight. I think her home stage would also be Sky Arena as opposed to [NAME REDACTED] since Dr. Coyle is also fought on Sky Arena in the arcade mode.

Well, that's all out of me. Unless lore is an outside factor, that's the best I could come up with.

Last edited:

RebelMaren

Smash Journeyman

I don't really think you can remove bias, especially when alot of people will feel like the reasons that make them want any specific character are also the reasons they believe they'd best represent the franchise in Smash.

But hey, I'll bite. Personally I'd choose Min Min, due to her fast kicks balancing out the slow long range punches that make up the rest of her moveset, and that I think the fast and energetic animations of her spinning and kicking are appealing. I'd rather see the moveset focus on ARMS rather than bringing in some other complex mechanic like a robot dog or totems (though I thinking bouncing around as Lola Pop would be pretty fun). I'm not really married to the character bringing their specific homestage and would actually like to see the Basketball minigame adapted into a Smash stage, but Min Min's stage would at least be another bowl shape, which is rare and without the addition obstacles Green Hill brings, might be interesting. Besides theres always Omega form.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I wanted to do this mental exercise because everyone is championing or putting down characters based on outside factors. Its very rare when someone makes an argument based on factors within the game itself.

My pick? Ribbon Girl. Because of her multi-jump you would solve the recovery issue. See usually the Up Special is a recovery move. What would it be for an ARMS character? You'd probably have to make something up or tweek some sort of attack in a way that they can use it to recover. But Ribbon Girl can already multi-jump. Much like Jigglypuff and Yoshi, their jumps are so good they don't need an Up Special that boosts them in the air. Ribbon Girls Up Special could be reserved for something else.

Yeah it's not who I would go with normally. I'd still pick Spring Man because he's perfect as the mascot of ARMS. But if I remove his status as a mascot then I choose Ribbon Girl based on her abilities.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord

Lol, impossible to remove favoritism. Min Min is a personal favorite because from the second she was revealed her design shouted awesome to me, so in a vaccuum I would probably still lean towards a conceptually badass noodle-armed fighter who does kung fu poses, deflects with kicks and has an arm turn into a dragon. Because that's just what would resonate instantly, just like Sakurai seeing Greninja or Incineroar and going "those look fun, I'm doing those."

The question is what you define as merits. Spring Man's merits is that he is super visible and on the box, but you said to remove the being on the box part, so not him. If I'm going by story Max Brass gets the most exposure along with Biff and Dr. Coyle, so Max Brass? He would also win by virtue of his home stage being the most likely stage to go for. But then it'd be kind of weird removing the concept of Spring Man being on the box but not the concept of Max Brass being the final boss (initially)... so idk, I guess I'm bad at this question. It's hard to ignore the obvious flags that make the most sensible character (spring man) make the most sense.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

I might be biased considering she's my favorite character, but Coyle seems like the best choice to me. She's a well designed character, she's extremely important to the lore (probably more so than any other character), and she has several gimmicks that would make her a really interesting and cool fighter (Lokjaw projectiles, flying, turning invisible, manifesting third arm). Her being the primary villain also makes it so she's one of the best characters to represent ARMS, because the protagonist is just whatever character you're playing as. Her and Max Brass are the only real constants in the story of ARMS.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

I'm gonna really try to not be biased here, but like, Max Brass is really represents ARMS to the core.

As both the League's commish AND its reigning champion for years, he's absolutely a famous figure, if not the in-universe mascot of the entire sport of ARMS. The fact that he's always the endgoal of any GP run (unless Coyle takes over at the last second) also means that Max himself is always an important character no matter who wins the championship. All paths leads to meeting with him in his arena and thus, he's always recognizable to an ARMS player.

His mechanics are also pretty straightforward. How straightforward? Literally all but his Bulk Up ability are straight up copying Spring Man, so he gets a similar kind of "all-around" gameplay aspect he would, but with the addition of having the ability to Bulk Up to raise his defenses in ways that were usually relegated to passive traits for previous characters.

His stage is one that is always significant to all characters due to being the Grand Finals setting, even when you fight Dr. Coyle instead of him. Not gonna argue about the idea of other ARMS characters getting his stage though because we already have this "pattern" broken with Terry (his stage instead being the background of the SNK Spirit Board), but at the same time, Sky Arena literally has a massive structure that looks like Max's face, so it's be really weird to not see him in any fashion.

His personality really brings me the same kind of vibes as Captain Falcon and Terry and those are always super hype to look at.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Spring Man has merits if you factor in his moveset. It's standard enough to be easily translatable into Smash. And yes, being Joe Average is a plus in some cases. Also I'd say his design and theme as a boxer with springs for arms is actually pretty great to show off the overall theme of ARMS. If I had to choose someone as the ARMS mascot I'd probably choose him. But I'd probably still go with Ribbon Girl for Smash simply based on her abilities being really beneficial to a platform fighter. I'd try to remove my personal feelings. But I know, it's almost impossible to do. And yes, Sakurai/Nintendo have their own biases that factor into the decision making. But I just wanted people to look at the strengths of these characters by themselves. I do think that is an important part of picking a fighter that often gets overlooked.

Also, as an experiment, I wanted to see if you'd end up choosing someone else.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Decided to make my own personal tier list too of who I'd like to see in Smash. Late to the party sharing but better than never.

1591687916256.png

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
PapaGenos made a new video looking over the current rumors.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

If you go by in-game factors alone, I’d say Spring Man is still the main character even when discounting promotional material.
Now, as for abilities, you probably do not want any specific or niche ARMS and probably want to go with a glove-type as a main weapon. This is because this is the most common and most prominent glove type that best represents the clanking mechanics of ARMS (with light weapons being too easily destroyed and heavy weapons being too big for the boxing style the game is known for.) While any character can equip any glove, I don’t think this means anyone would use a Roaster in their Smash moveset. Min Min‘s Dragon Arm is not a great example of an accessible ARM and while I think her popularity can possibly make it so she gets her own playstyle that doesn’t represent ARMS as much as just her own abilities, we’re discounting that popularity as part of the game.
This leaves Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Twintelle and Brass, although some melee ARMS can work as well, such as Coyle’s Lokhead and Helix’ Globber since they’re not inherently giant. Now we can take two routes: Either we say “Yeah let’s pick Spring Man cause he represents ARMS well blah-blah-blah“ or we pick someone who adds something to that base formula and makes it their own. For that purpose, I’d pick either Twintelle or Ribbon Girl. Twintelle can use her Parasol to block to get that ARMSy bait-and-punish style going, as well as having a light weapon, the highly curvable bird arm, to her disposal. This gives her a nice trifecta of ARMS that all have different elements and serve different purposes. Ribbon Girl compensates for the switch from 3D to 2D with her vast array of mobility options. Maybe Brass if you want a glacier playstyle, but I don’t think ARMS is best represented with such a style when most characters are solid middleweights and mobility is half of the name of the game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well if NOA has anything to show on what would have been the first day of E3, it'll most likely turn up in two and a half hours

Staarih

Smash Master
Weird to think E3 would’ve began today, I’m usually full of excitement this time of year.

That said, I’m still getting a little giddy of the fact that we’re upon the times when we’ll finally learn about the ARMS character, any day now!

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
smash fans' reactions to spring man getting in as illustrated by the arms graphic novel

1591713686750.png

Top Bottom