• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
nick, i saw you at that one ct tourney and i was like hey is that nick and then you disappeared.

:\

You should post what users are viewing the thread.

You should have hugged me and never let go. <3

Also, I'll totally give you a ride to CCSU if you can get a ride to me!! :D
-DD

S l o X

Smash Champion
but you were so into that MTG game. didn't want to disturb the awesomeness going on. (that and i had a tourney match to play)

gonna chill with my second family / play league of legends all tomorrow, else i'd make my dad drive to you. that and it's kind of a b getting to and from wherever you'll be.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
but you were so into that MTG game. didn't want to disturb the awesomeness going on. (that and i had a tourney match to play)

gonna chill with my second family / play league of legends all tomorrow, else i'd make my dad drive to you. that and it's kind of a b getting to and from wherever you'll be.
Whhaaaa...with Ryann?
I wasn't that into it. People were all up in my business anyways. LOL.

And sadface at ANOTHER person choosing LoL over smash. :[ So much hate at life-sucking RTS games.
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i probably can not go tomorrow. i have dinner with my roommates, and i don't know anyone going from like 8-11 or so that could give me a ride...much less someone that could give me a ride regardless :( i can probably go next weekend and return your hoodie then, though, nick.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Apparently, PoF only gets responses when he is trolling.

I agree with him about the tier list. ****s whack.
Thank You. Yo, when SF3 comes out on PSN Ryan.....we need to play. I'm trying to get into Yun and Dudley now....too fun.

Some SF Hype stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6wDWLf99SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml9QjEVUp5Q

Anyway, I'm not even trolling now but I saw this while on Shoryuken wiki in the SF3 section:

"Representative Tier-list

When considering a tournament, with a large number of competitors, you find that there is invariably more people playing the higher tier characters. Almost to the point where very few (if any) lower tiers appear.

As such, it is sometimes improper to base a Top level tournament tier list on ALL the match-ups. After taking a flat tier list, and selecting those characters with the highest frequency of appearance (In this case, Yun, Chun-Li, Ken and Makoto). By ranking every character by their match-ups against those four characters, you end up with a more tournament based tier-list.

This list, essentially, ranks characters on their ability to place in a large scale tournament. "

This right here suggests "Hey, we are going to create a tournmanet based tier list BUT it may or may not be accurate AND match ups may also be a viable option." Nowhere in that does it say, "Yo. Tournaments are the only and best way to do things."

It seems that the smash community in general seems to be unfamiliar with looking at things without looking at the top characters. This also points out that every character is weighed properly. (Something that smash does not do)

ZoSo

Smash Champion
The current tier list is different. I'm not really allowed to talk about why.

I would have no problem with basing a tier list on matchups. I've been saying this for a LONG TIME, and most people in the MBR agree with it, but I can totally understand why some would want to base it on tournament results for one reason: A matchup chart is always going to be skewed by opinions. I recently saw a matchup chart for ST that was created by polling a few top players for each character in the cast. To name just one example, Boxer versus Zangief is listed as 8-2 according to one player, 5-5 according to another player, and 4-6 according to yet ANOTHER player. THIS IS AFTER SIXTEEN YEARS OF ST. Another important point: This matchup chart included all the ST characters, O. Ken, and O. Sagat. Why don't you go troll the ST community for "disregarding and dismissing characters that are less used?"

I'm not saying, "Matchup chart is too hard, don't bother," but I can understand why some would want to base the tier list on tourney results. Tourney results are concrete. There's no debate or bias, it's just who beats who. Raw data.

Also, the tier list for 3S is based on matchups with more weight given to matchups against popular characters. As in, popular in a TOURNAMENT SETTING. Gee, that's weird. Why don't you go jerk off on their SRK wiki page or something?

And hey, while we're at it:

http://iplaywinner.com/super-street-fighter-4-tiers/

HAS;DLFK HOLY **** FOUR-WAY TIE FOR FIRST WHAT A BAD GAME/IMMATURE COMMUNITY/DUMB WAY TO MAKE A TIER LIST COMMENCE TROLLING GUYS!!11

You like SSF4 better so now you're frantically trying to justify your opinion because you want everybody to agree with you. You did the same thing with Brawl when it came out and again with Melee when you switched back. And I'm sure you'll do it again for whatever game you decide to be bad at next.

P.S. I'm older than you and I think you're ****ing stupid. GG.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I agreed with a lot of what PoF was saying (mostly about the current tier list being "bad"... well, I don't think it's that bad necessarily, but it's at least largely a cop out from what I see a tier list being, but that's a whole nother story), but Dave summed up pretty much all the problems I have with his post too. So yea, toolbag train inc, choo choo!

anyway, the idea that you should have weighted matchups determine the tier list is not new. In fact, some bright-eyed optimist in the community tried to actually come up with a calculation method for this once: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=100240

but alas the whole thing pretty much just sinks when you consider what Dave's saying about matchpus being largely subjective and a comprehensive chart essentially being doomed to failure because of these differing opinions.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Hey guys, just reminding you that I TOTALLY called that Honda would be top 8.

I didn't call where he would be in the top 8. Or who would be above him. Or below him. Or anywhere near him. But I TOTALLY CALLED IT.

And nevermind that I said Dudley was Sagat tier and that Ryu is top 3. I ****ing CALLED THAT ****.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
i probably can not go tomorrow. i have dinner with my roommates, and i don't know anyone going from like 8-11 or so that could give me a ride...much less someone that could give me a ride regardless :( i can probably go next weekend and return your hoodie then, though, nick.
D: But I'll be in Worcester again!!
Wahhh...I want my hoodie...

Mayhaps a surprise visit in a couple hours?
-DD

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Dudley can fackin sweep into ultra brooo so cheeeeeeeeeeap

SleepyK, did you figure out what game you were going to try? :D Please say Super Street Fighter 4 on the xbox 360.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I was just congratulating us on a job well done.

Didn't mean to draw attention to him. :c
D: When you say his name, you bring attention to him! What you should have done was sent a mass PM to the thread, inviting us to a party at your place to celebrate with Pizza and hookers.
-DD

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My question about the tier list: Why "Top," "High" and "Upper?" It just sounds weird. So does "Low," "Bottom," and "Negligible," actually.

/nitpick

Top Bottom