• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So one of my EDH decks uses transparent sleeves with the card on one side and a
on the other side because, well, let's face it, the art is ****.

So that deck is technically 200-cards big, with rather thin sleeves. Regular deckboxes hold 80 sleeved cards, and can't even hold a regular EDH deck. So I read this tutorial about how to turn old booster boxes into deck boxes.

http://mtgsalvation.com/1195-off-topic-booster-box-to-deck-box.html

And I made one, but it was STILL not big enough (only held about 80% of my deck), so I took the piece that was left over from the box, cut it and taped it so that it wrapped around the side of my new deckbox to create a little annex pocket where the rest of the deck can be held.

TL;DR I ****.

EDIT: I mean, look at them Wandering Ones throwing up gang signs. For a vanilla 1/1 for U they are straight up Gs.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I miss you, when is your houseparty/smash fest thing going to be? if it hasn't already happened :(
it already happened. only evan and nick came :\
you should come to ccsu on friday :D me+you+rep+?=all luigi teams!

here's what i had to say about the m2k-adhd mlg issue in the oklahoma thread:

that is waaaaay too harsh. **** like this happens a lot, and why sandbagging is an illegal way to throw a match but no-showing isn't is beyond me.

as scar commented,
"it's pretty common for this sort of thing to happen in smash (especially with M2K), but it's really pretty harmless and generally accepted in the community
top players used to split the pot at basically every tournament, either due to friendship or laziness or things like that. it led to a lot of forfeits and "conspiring," if you want to call it that
MLG is a different story though, and when it's not a local tournament with prize money coming only from the participants, rules need to be observed, even though i still maintain (having not been there) that it was probably harmless and not really "conspiring" at all"

i think it was fast1 where m2k split with cort since cort agreed to lose winner's finals and take out shiz (since there was a much bigger possibility shiz would take out m2k instead of cort). and while at the time i was like "what a **** move," and still kind of hold that thought, it is in no way at all cheating. people should be allowed to spend their prize money however they want, so splitting or having a friend take someone out and giving them incentive pay (hell, iori gave jack 20 bucks at intimikill 2 for taking out darkrain...how is that an unfair advantage to any player?) should not really be punished harshly if at all, IMO. unfortunately, if the MLG contract was breached they do have the authority to ban players AND withhold the prize money from them (unless it has already been paid, then they'd have to go through lawsuits and it wouldn't even be worth it) if those consequences are in the contract...but even if it is in their legal domain, i think it's a pretty intense result from such a minor hunch of an infraction.

adhd posted today:
"THE RULES CLEARLY STATE THAT: "No players may engage in 'intentional Forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate Rankings or Brackets,' with one of the possible penalties for such a violation being a competition ban."
Yet no such rule was broken by either me, or mew2king.
While I did offer to give him 300 dollars as a token as friendship because he had previously split with me when I was 2nd/3rd numerous tournaments in the past, it was not an intentional forfeit, rofl.
When I entered the ring (or stage if you must), Jason informed me that he was not playing well and he did not care of the result of the match. I said: "Alright, fine, let's just play it out."
So we did, and afterwards he asked me if I could split with him. I responded by saying "I'll give you 200-300 dollars, is that alright? I don't want a full split." Jason nodded and confirmed this was acceptable in agreement.
If the MLG staff prefers to respond with such a major punishment based on nothing but a silly game of telephone and rumors, so be it.
BUT PLEASE, DO NOT RELINQUISH WHAT I FULLY EARNED AT MLG DC. DO NOT TAKE AWAY THE 2,500, THAT'S ALL I ASK OF YOU. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.
Also, if the 300 dollars is the reason why we are both being banned, I do not have the money at the moment. I can easily keep it all, as I'm sure Jason would still be content and agree with this decision."

and i completely agree. this decision is actually REALLY unfair because the dallas prizes are much bigger than the previous ones. i believe ssbb winner gets $10k instead of $2.5k, so considering smash is m2k's job, he's being 'fired' for letting someone else take the 'commission of a sale' and he ends up missing out on almost a year of full-time minimum wage. pierce's final words sum everything up pretty nicely:

First off, if you don't regularly follow Smash, you wouldn't know this, but ADHD usually beats M2k anyway. Additionally, M2k was definitely having an off day, while ADHD was on fire. There would be NO REASON for ADHD to need to play M2k to throw the match, because almost everyone who knows Smash knows that ADHD had at least an 85% chance of victory.

M2k and ADHD commonly split the prize money at underground tournaments because ADHD is a minor who lives with his parents, and understand that M2k lives off of prize money as a job. In return, whenever ADHD does not win the tournament, typically placing either second or third by losing to others, M2k splits with him as well.

In this situation, M2k already submitted to defeat. He was already feeling depressed over several issues, both IRL, and in the game, and not playing up to his full potential. He knew there was no way he was going to defeat ADHD in this condition, considering he normally loses to ADHD under regular conditions.

M2k requested a split, but ADHD declined, knowing that he was definitely going to win against M2k. Instead, he offered him 300 additional dollars as a friend, since they have always split in the past. Obviously, splitting a 2.5k prize pot is a bit much to ask, opposed to a grassroots major tournament, where the prize could be a around 1k less.

Neither player cheated at any given point, and this is largely a big misunderstanding. ADHD would defeat m2k normally on any given day. Also, Rich Brown had just defeated both opponents, so there is no real reason to say that ADHD had an advantage going in against Rich Brown, more than M2k did.

edit: some final thoughts - if MLG can not prove that 1) the sandbagging was purposeful and 2) sandbagging in any way directly translates to losing to someone you don't always beat anyway, then they really are unjustified in robbing both these players. Just because ADHD said he was going to give m2k some cash means nothing. we're not ****ing playing clue here. money hasn't even changed hands yet, as they haven't been paid, and the intention of which was included in the same post by ADHD explaining WHY he was giving it to m2k, which wasn't because m2k threw the match. it doesn't matter anyway because bassem is going to dominate the tournament and take home the big novelty check for first place, but m2k and adhd deserve their chance to compete. it'd be extremely ******** if youtube comment suspicions for sandbagging (which are seen on probably 1 out of every 3 smash matches ever anyway) become rumors that are taken seriously and enforced as contract infractions by MLG. it would just be tremendously stupid.
edit: i heard this was going to be discussed in directional influence this week...if you read this, rapture, i'd like to hear some of these thoughts represented on top of chibo's differing opinion :D

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
If they didn't throw matches, then MLG is wrong. But it happens enough at Smash tournaments that I'm inclined to side with the evil corporate overlords if it'll have a chilling effect on the practice.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
woooooowwwwww

did one of them just forfeit or something more involved than that?
What MLG says happened:
ADHD Paid M2k $300 to take the fall. M2k doesn't want to face Brown because he already lost to him and M2k doesn't need to win DC or Dallas to get the MLG Champ money. ADHD beats M2k, then beats Rich Brown, winning DC, when M2k could have beaten ADHD then lost to Rich Brown, making Rich the Winner.

What ADHD says happened:
M2k told him he didn't feel like playing seriously before the set began, and that he didn't need to win and didn't want to play against Rich Brown again. ADHD just told Jason to play through the set and see how it turns out. After the set resolved, ADHD offered to split 2nd/3rd with Jason because they have a history of splitting and he was just being friendly like that. Then some butt-hurt person reports it to MLG and this happens.

I dunno, I don't really see how its a problem. Play to win, and M2k already won. Ah well.
-DD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
What MLG says happened:
ADHD Paid M2k $300 to take the fall. M2k doesn't want to face Brown because he already lost to him and M2k doesn't need to win DC or Dallas to get the MLG Champ money. ADHD beats M2k, then beats Rich Brown, winning DC, when M2k could have beaten ADHD then lost to Rich Brown, making Rich the Winner.

What ADHD says happened:
M2k told him he didn't feel like playing seriously before the set began, and that he didn't need to win and didn't want to play against Rich Brown again. ADHD just told Jason to play through the set and see how it turns out. After the set resolved, ADHD offered to split 2nd/3rd with Jason because they have a history of splitting and he was just being friendly like that. Then some butt-hurt person reports it to MLG and this happens.

I dunno, I don't really see how its a problem. Play to win, and M2k already won. Ah well.
-DD
he said, she said.

MLG's trying to be professional, don't ****ing exchange money based on the outcome of a match and there's no problem. M2K wants to half *** it, w/e, great... don't give him money for it. I don't care about their history, these are their rules, you need to play by them. Some tourney down the road, ADHD doesn't feel like playing hard vs. M2K and it happens to work out, fine, good, great, grand wonderful, just don't ****ing hand money around behind MLG's back based on the outcome of a game you were involved in.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
he said, she said.

MLG's trying to be professional, don't ****ing exchange money based on the outcome of a match and there's no problem. M2K wants to half *** it, w/e, great... don't give him money for it. I don't care about their history, these are their rules, you need to play by them. Some tourney down the road, ADHD doesn't feel like playing hard vs. M2K and it happens to work out, fine, good, great, grand wonderful, just don't ****ing hand money around behind MLG's back based on the outcome of a game you were involved in.
*shrug*
I guess the real problem is that they planned to and they were banned before money even changed hands. Unless planning is ban-worthy.
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i'm from middletown, my homie. i am waiting to see if rep can give me a ride before i ask you/anyone else since i know he would be going at 5 and would prefer to be there the whole smashfest, but i will definitely abuse the fact that you have a car sometime in the future :3

also, last thing about the mlg issue from me: obviously conspiring to take money from rich brown would not be cool, even though playing the bracket is way less absurd than the ****ty bracket system mlg uses in the first place. however, rich beat m2k 2-1 and adhd 3-2 so...literally neither player had a smaller disadvantage going into grand finals vs rich brown, so i don't even see how anything could be rigged.

if m2k were being punished for a separate issue of not playing as well as he could have, that's an absolutely ******** rule since it's subjective and on top of that people normally don't play to their full potential anyway (distractions, not being practiced enough or conversely being too worn out - which was m2k's case, zoning out, etc)...and then that would mean ADHD would be banned for giving money privately to someone who was banned from mlg...wtfux. but yeah, mlg did not state that as the issue anyway. so *shrug* hopefully it gets resolved. unless m2k or adhd openly say "the match results were determined for the purpose of money before the set took place) then it will be very disappointing of MLG to enforce anything.

S l o X

Smash Champion
hab, what time you plan on leaving? :o

i could probably make it to your place if you ARE driving up to ccsu but i'm a super maybe.

Top Bottom