• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Just watched you are (not) alone.
waiting on blu-ray rip of pt 2 because i hate cams
cog, let's talk unless you want to discuss pt2
btw every scene was wallpaper worthy in glorious 1080p omg boner

i suppose i will finally get to meet bros at p4 unless you cats decide to leave your region for medium sized ATL south tournaments in north carolina for some reason.
you are (not) alone was amazing holy ****. Its presentation was just AMAZING like it was everything i expected and more. The next 3 movies will be the tru testament of how well evangelion ages tho. I have faith

Seems like its been ages since you can (not) advance came out on cam. **** the cam Im waiting for the h24 version as well.
I have a nice DVD version of you are (not) alone and am definitely waiting until I can see a good version of the 2nd as well.
I liked it a lot, too, but wasn't sure of the point of it since it was basically a shot for shot remake. It's hard to feel affected by iconic shots such as the blood spurting out of both sides of Unit 1's head in the first fight or the plug suit conforming to rei behind the curtain after you've seen them a billion times before.
I did NOT like how they took out the part where Unit 1 moved its arm on its own to block the falling ceiling... I guess that was obviously intentional but it's not like they're spoiling anything at this point >_>
Of course the last angel fight was different in both good and bad ways: I thought the idea of it changing shape to counter all the different attacks was such a rad idea but the cgi stood out something fierce. I am never really a fan of blatant cgi in traditionally drawn animation because it takes me right out of the story and this didn't really change my mind. I did like how they did subtle things with the editing to enhance the emotion... I mean I am so familiar with Eva but I still found myself getting worked up at the end.
From what I understand, the subsequent movies deviate much more from the original series (new pilot girl?! more evas?!) so it will be interesting to see how they change things and how that will affect the overall themes and story.
They also took out Gendo's desk and head forming the Star of David silhouette in his office.
Nice ending mindfux, too... naked Kaoru growing Adam(?) on the moon wuttttttt >_O?!

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I have a nice DVD version of you are (not) alone and am definitely waiting until I can see a good version of the 2nd as well.
I liked it a lot, too, but wasn't sure of the point of it since it was basically a shot for shot remake. It's hard to feel affected by iconic shots such as the blood spurting out of both sides of Unit 1's head in the first fight or the plug suit conforming to rei behind the curtain after you've seen them a billion times before.
I did NOT like how they took out the part where Unit 1 moved its arm on its own to block the falling ceiling... I guess that was obviously intentional but it's not like they're spoiling anything at this point >_>
Of course the last angel fight was different in both good and bad ways: I thought the idea of it changing shape to counter all the different attacks was such a rad idea but the cgi stood out something fierce. I am never really a fan of blatant cgi in traditionally drawn animation because it takes me right out of the story and this didn't really change my mind. I did like how they did subtle things with the editing to enhance the emotion... I mean I am so familiar with Eva but I still found myself getting worked up at the end.
From what I understand, the subsequent movies deviate much more from the original series (new pilot girl?! more evas?!) so it will be interesting to see how they change things and how that will affect the overall themes and story.
They also took out Gendo's desk and head forming the Star of David silhouette in his office.
Nice ending mindfux, too... naked Kaoru growing Adam(?) on the moon wuttttttt >_O?!
digital effects/cgi thoughts:

blatant Cgi kills me too. Eva's cgi is pretty good in comparison with many so I look at it that way but I much prefer drawing. I mean im not saying that everything should be like Akira(HAND DRAWN COMPLETELY) but cgi character models does take away from it. FLCL is a perfect example of how digital technology should be used. It has GREAT usage of digital layering/cropping. I would love to get a hold of their cells sometime (which is probly impossible). FLCL STILL is one of the best looking anime/OVA I have ever seen. Everything is so crisp and responsive. It's usage in Eva is top notch too but for some personal preference FLCL's character models and presentation are still among the most appealing I've ever seen.

Thoughts on direction:

honestly no matter what the new movies do the original will still be THE Evangelion to me. The direction taken in the movies is a more moderate structure which is easier to comprehend etc etc. If Gainax were to come out with a remake of the series with 26 eps and a movie i would've been upset because then I would've seen it as their attempt to succeed the original which is not possible. The idea of movie is nice because it kinda re invents eva without replacing its core. I feel like the movies will make ppl go and buy the original and make inquiries etc etc which I am all for.What I am concerned with the most about the new movies will be the ending.

thoughts on movies sequence:

The first movie indicated that gainax still "has it". The movies in between will just be about how well they execute their action scenes(timing,choreography, originality etc). And as far as the new girl and eva goes.......well I am comfortable with the fact that original characters dun exist/are very hard to come by and I will not be expecting a big deal out of her. Like I said execution is what I'll be looking at. Regardless of what they add the storyline is linear at the point they are now and how well they use traditional conventions in a moderate setting is what I'm looking for. The last movie is where I wanna see the creative/unconventional flare. The last movie and its ending will hands down make or break the movies for me.( good movie series or great movie series)

best part of the movies so far:

If I haven't said it before, the thing that has aged the best in the series is the music. Shiro Sagisu is undoubtedly a genius when it comes to epic scores. His music was one of my biggest worries when I heard about rebuild but he has yet to fail.(Also did an amazing score for Kare Kano)

the last scene of the first movie was beast too mainly because of the polished character models of shinji and rei in the moonlight while in unit 00 and that one track playing before the last angel of the movie is downed.

thoughts on subtle changes:

01 not blocking the ceiling was kinda =( for me as well. I hadn't even thought of it until you said something, but the fact that they didn't have it suggests that maybe there will be a twist with
shinji's mother/soul of 01
which i dun know how to feel about yet.

The logos and alternative product placement is kinda cool. Gainax is huge on that.

Even though it was subtle, not crazy about the new NERV sign.

Im pretty indifferent on the changes with gendo long as he still does his gendo things I'll be happy

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
lol everything to say has been covered

but the scene where eva 01 blocks on its own can easily be attributed to being cut for time constraints/deemed ultimately unnecessary.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
Sox: I don't know. Are you a melee player? If you live in West Hartford, I don't know how I don't know you. lol. But I won't really have time to play until the semester ends. =\

And I'm not driving down, I'd rather fly. -.- I'm probably not going, but I will try depending on who is going. I need to save money. ~_~
I just recently started playing smash with people on the boards, and yeah, I play melee. I'm at school at URI, but if you want to play anytime over winter break or something, let me know.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Swift I agree w/everything pretty much.

It's a good point, re: the new movies getting people to watch the og series... could definitely be the case.

I feel like the end of these movies is going to go ALL OUT BUGFRUCK INSANE and will be pretty controversial. I can't imagine that Anno has much left to give after End of Evangelion but on the other hand enough time has passed for him to view it with fresh eyes and the themes and imagery are obviously deep enough to delve even further into. Already we can see the seeds of that with Lilith's mask being changed and whatever the **** Kaoru was doing up on the moon. Regardless, I have faith that Anno will stay true to the core of what Eva was about for him back then. Personally I have a hard time thinking they'd be able to top the insanely brilliant End of Eva, though.

<3 the music.

Also YES Kare Kano has amazing music.

lol everything to say has been covered

but the scene where eva 01 blocks on its own can easily be attributed to being cut for time constraints/deemed ultimately unnecessary.
ehh it's very important. But I guess ultimately unnecessary maybe just because they don't want to tip their hand too early as to what the evas truly are, but like I said it's not like a spoiler any more. I always thought it was a cool part.

BTW Everyone should go see ZOMBIELAND. A really really great theater experience.

SleepyK

It's a good point, re: the new movies getting people to watch the og series... could definitely be the case.
But I guess ultimately unnecessary maybe just because they don't want to tip their hand too early as to what the evas truly are
new people...not getting tipped off too early

also since t's not a spoiler anymore the scene can be considered relatively unnecessary as well.
imo

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Heard zombieland was great

you should all come here :)

more set ups and i miss ppls

edit/ and housing if u want.

and free food if u get here b4 8 because of my guest passes.

and other reasons i could mention
I got a future ok to make a trip up there. I'll do it one of these days whens its like not rush hour and stuff.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Zombieland was great. There's a cameo by a certain someone halfway in which makes the movie worth seeing just by itself. Hilarious.

Wtf are the evas anyway? Monsters in robot suit? That **** always freaked me out

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
Already playing Chrono Trigger like you suggested, but is Eva really worth watching? I wasn't too into mecha, I liked Code Geass solely for the constant riposte and retort stuff between parties/factions/individuals. I've heard Eva slowly loses the realistic touch after a while.

Also, Kare Kano is superior in manga form, being an owner of the whole series.

SleepyK

eva is not really about mecha.

if you're concerned about "realistic touch" in amine idk why you're watching it.
no offense if that sounds kinda rude, i'm just sayin

MarthIsMyHero

Smash Apprentice
eva is not really about mecha.

if you're concerned about "realistic touch" in amine idk why you're watching it.
no offense if that sounds kinda rude, i'm just sayin
I plead you to watch Planetes and reconsider. Most realistic anime and sci-fi I've ever watched. Reason why I'm more perplexed by realism is that I watch heated debates on Eva go down, and that's a popular topic of concern, that's all.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Zombieland was great. There's a cameo by a certain someone halfway in which makes the movie worth seeing just by itself. Hilarious.

Wtf are the evas anyway? Monsters in robot suit? That **** always freaked me out
The cameo was A-FUXING-MAZING. So good.

And yeah, just watch Eva and you'll find out :chuckle:

Already playing Chrono Trigger like you suggested, but is Eva really worth watching? I wasn't too into mecha, I liked Code Geass solely for the constant riposte and retort stuff between parties/factions/individuals. I've heard Eva slowly loses the realistic touch after a while.

Also, Kare Kano is superior in manga form, being an owner of the whole series.
Eva is widely considered one of the greatest anime series of all time, just watch it. Lumping it in with "mecha" anime is like saying Kare Kano is just another schoolboy/girl romance....only more so. Not sure about the realistic comment... I will say that as the series goes on it gets more philosophical and esoteric.

Anybody ever seen Wings of Honneamise?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
DUSTIN!

I have an asian female who plays WoW/Aion/Attends Cons/Cosplays/plays Smash/thinks you're a total babe that wants to meet you.

And Joey approves.
-DD

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
marthismyhero:

code geass is a joke in comparison to eva. Evangelion is the father of many character conventions in not just mecha but anime today.

I'd watch eva out of respect. It undoubtedly as much of a staple as people claim cowboy bebop is.(moreso imo but thats another story for another time)

realism? Evangelion in terms of character presentation and their psychological experiences is one of THE most real animes ever made.

you will not be disappointed if u have any kind of appreciation of art/masterful plot development/unorthodox methods.

Cog:

im a huge gainax fan and its a shame that i have not seen wings of H. yet. I need to get on that, cuz i heard it was pretty good.

Top Bottom