• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Octave

Smash Ace
I hate the motion control stuff. Sometimes, it can really ruin a game. It was great in TLoZ:TP, though. I need to play that again.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
My birthday is not today. :(

but right now is happy

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
To be fair, i did google ahorita... I was going to say "something"... but I kinda just hoped that would be the right word.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
@Octave- It's funny that you mention TP, because that game pretty much sums up my feelings about motion controls: the games are better without them.

And therein lies the problem with motion control. With the exception of Wii Bowling, I have not played a game with motion controls that has made me say, "Wow, this is better than standard controls!" Swinging the Wiimote to swing your sword or pressing the B button on a Gamecube controller, what's the difference? Swift, you're right that the motion controls were okay in NSMB Wii, but I still didn't feel the necessity for them, and it would not have made any difference to the game at all if instead of shaking the controller you press a button.

For motion control to be worth it, it simply isn't enough to substitute "flail your arms around" for "press the A button," because when you do that, you really haven't changed anything about gaming, you've just mapped standard functionality to a silly motion. Now, Wii Fit actually does bring something new, and something that isn't possible with a standard controller. That's what motion control needs to do, and games like that, which truly make use of motion in a way that isn't possible for standard controllers, are few and far between.

This is also the problem with the DS. For every Yoshi's Touch and Go (that was a great game, dam it), there are a thousand RPG ports where all they do is put a map on the top screen. This is what innovation looks like?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
@Octave- It's funny that you mention TP, because that game pretty much sums up my feelings about motion controls: the games are better without them.

And therein lies the problem with motion control. With the exception of Wii Bowling, I have not played a game with motion controls that has made me say, "Wow, this is better than standard controls!" Swinging the Wiimote to swing your sword or pressing the B button on a Gamecube controller, what's the difference? Swift, you're right that the motion controls were okay in NSMB Wii, but I still didn't feel the necessity for them, and it would not have made any difference to the game at all if instead of shaking the controller you press a button.

For motion control to be worth it, it simply isn't enough to substitute "flail your arms around" for "press the A button," because when you do that, you really haven't changed anything about gaming, you've just mapped standard functionality to a silly motion. Now, Wii Fit actually does bring something new, and something that isn't possible with a standard controller. That's what motion control needs to do, and games like that, which truly make use of motion in a way that isn't possible for standard controllers, are few and far between.

This is also the problem with the DS. For every Yoshi's Touch and Go (that was a great game, dam it), there are a thousand RPG ports where all they do is put a map on the top screen. This is what innovation looks like?
Well to be fair to the DS ports...they're ports. Low-budget, easy-sellers. You didn't need 2 screens to play Disgaea on the PS2 or the PSP, so throwing a bunch of data to the added screen just makes getting the information you want easier.

The new Pokemon games have the best touch screen interface ever. Its all optional use, but its all so well placed and usable I find myself using the touch more than real buttons.
-DD

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
motion control works so well with no more heroes 1/2
this is largely due to suda51 being sexy as hell with his gameplay and style and less nintendo innovation, though. i love initiating kill bill violence with real life slashing instead of pressing R or some ****.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Speaking of NMH2...
who here enjoyed it?
I enjoyed it, but I thought the first one was superior in a lot of ways..mainly the boss battles. It felt like NMH2's boss battles had no soul. There was barely any story connected with most of the bosses like in Part 1 and overall a lot of the battles were just plain easy and boring. =\
Anyone else feels similar to this?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Oh yeah. I have my Wiimote now. Maybe I'll play an hour or two of NMH/NMH2, get bored, then play melee or something again.
-DD

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Nick did you confirm a ride for the MA tourny? I have work on Sunday and am hopefully staying at Matt's house that night so I don't think I could bring you. :(

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
the first game definitely had more depth to the bosses, but the second game's shallowness in that was kind of compensated by the exploration into travis and sylvia, and even henry and shinobu that made me care about the latter 3 a lot more than the first game did, and gave travis a new demension that was reflected in ranking battles 4-2. the actual fights were about even to me...although i missed holly summers, bad girl, harvey, and especially henry, the void was kind of filled by the mecha fight, nathan, alice, and ryuji...plus dr. letz shake is ****ing hilarious. the other fights were certainly mostly filler, it seemed, or completely annoying like new destroyman and batt jr, but i went back and played the first one after i beat the 2nd one on bitter and even though each boss has a great cutscene (way better than the average cutscene before a nmh2 boss of course) before the fight, their pertinance to the storyline isn't any greater, and so they weren't that much more impactful.

i actually ended up liking the second one a little bit better. the storyline was explored more, and not just because it is a sequel; the minigames are fun and not absolutely required to go through the game, save the revenge missions, which were still fun since they weren't that long (god**** did i hate picking up pineapples and doing dull tasks like that, and then being burdened by having an easy yet time consuming mission 50 you had to grind for cash); and the environment is just plain better to me.

so even though the first game had better stages up to the boss and better boss depth, it doesn't push it over all the redeeming qualities of the second game to me, and i guess having two better qualities doesn't make me think it's far superior in A LOT of ways, but there are definitely a couple and possibly a couple more i'm missing...plus OMFG I'M A ****ING TIGER THIS IS SO GREAT. it's like robot unicorn attack but everything's one step better...metal music, huge bengal tiger, 3d cell shaded environment. i could replay the entire game as an OP tiger and still have fun. as if it all matters anyway, i guess, because they are the best 2 games on the wii despite any distance between themselves.

no serious opinions are held, just me typing what comes to mind. all of this talk is making me want to replay a game i got for xmas one year (got nmh for xmas years ago and a reserve for nmh2 for xmas this last year, hence the association)...persona 4 or dragonquest viii??? decisions, decisions...

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
somebody suggest good chiptune

go
My brother's debut album!

http://www.hemlockrecords.com/greenleaf/

[there is a small music player on the top right area of the displayed text...so use that instead of waiting for the video to load]

Dunno if this is up your alley but a lot of people like it :)

It's definitely an album of synergy as opposed to a collection of songs.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
so

gouken is cool

discuss
Goukens pretty cool but his anti air options are unreliable and his zoning game doesn't compare to the likes of ryu, Sagat, Seth, Dhalsim, akuma, or even rose IMO.

His corner trap game is absolutely genius though. I'm on his last trial. I cant seem to get his focus attack canceled into his crouching hp. I can do everything else perfectly though.

Dazwa-I also forgot to mention full standing spaced HK to ultra. lol.

I'm also on Rufus's last hard trial now too.

did zangief, ryu, Akuma, and Bison.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
awesome! glad you like it =D

yeah, the OG Chiptune artists [Bubblyfish, Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Glomag] are good friends with my bro and the rest of 2 Player Productions...they then got them into the scene, which spawned their collective fledgling efforts:
http://www.hemlockrecords.com/fadetofall/
&
http://www.vimeo.com/2428608 [mostly linking this so you can see the ILL custom-made-from-scratch Scarecrow-a-la-Batman-Begins mask he got from a friend XD]

Edit @ Cog:

For real one of the best/classic chiptune songs of all time:

http://www.vimeo.com/676001

[Swedish chip-god "Random" - Spontaneous Devotion]

EditEdit:

I've probably linked this stuff before, but whatever...most of you probably ignored it XD

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Hazygoose is the ****ing man. I cannot wait until Sep 4th.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
So CT, should Cogsmooch STFU? Or should I troll?
Are these the only choices? How long do we have to decide? Do I even get a vote?

Sleepyk, why do you keep abruptly getting on/off aim?!?

POF- Cog can do whatever the **** Cog wants lol. I find reading his posts to be amusing most of the time.
What do you mean MOST of the time?! :mad:

Thats fine, they just try to ignite the flame further by provoking me to keep doing it.

looks to Cogsmooch for example.
Take the high road, man. Don't let others encourage you to be ********. Certainly don't do that.

Hey Mr. Bean check out what you're missing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXwDdRef8c

Go to that show on April 6th with me :(
Buy me tix?

My brother's debut album!

http://www.hemlockrecords.com/greenleaf/

[there is a small music player on the top right area of the displayed text...so use that instead of waiting for the video to load]

Dunno if this is up your alley but a lot of people like it :)

It's definitely an album of synergy as opposed to a collection of songs.
uhh this is really rad. give him a high five for me.

awesome! glad you like it =D

yeah, the OG Chiptune artists [Bubblyfish, Nullsleep, Bit Shifter, Glomag] are good friends with my bro and the rest of 2 Player Productions...they then got them into the scene, which spawned their collective fledgling efforts:
http://www.hemlockrecords.com/fadetofall/
&
http://www.vimeo.com/2428608 [mostly linking this so you can see the ILL custom-made-from-scratch Scarecrow-a-la-Batman-Begins mask he got from a friend XD]

Edit @ Cog:

For real one of the best/classic chiptune songs of all time:

http://www.vimeo.com/676001

[Swedish chip-god "Random" - Spontaneous Devotion]

EditEdit:

I've probably linked this stuff before, but whatever...most of you probably ignored it XD
thank you!

For new page so he actually see this :mad:
lol I always read all the posts I've missed since I'm only on swf at work... oops I mean I'm a 25 year old with no life.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
in response to mainstream games suck:

I agree, I just dun understand why you would steal them. They suck, so just don't play them. It's a big beautiful world out there, and if you're not going to squander that by playing some **** good vidjo games, you might as well not squander it at all.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Goukens pretty cool but his anti air options are unreliable and his zoning game doesn't compare to the likes of ryu, Sagat, Seth, Dhalsim, akuma, or even rose IMO.
Don't forget his wakeup game is terrible. Score one knockdown on him and Gouken suddenly becomes free.

Dazwa-I also forgot to mention full standing spaced HK to ultra. lol.
Yeah but no one ever uses that :laugh:. It's ridiculously slow and unsafe, which isn't like Rufus at all.

I'm also on Rufus's last hard trial now too.

did zangief, ryu, Akuma, and Bison.
I'm trying to remember which ones I did...I know Ryu, Zangief, Abel, Seth, Dhalsim, and I think Sagat.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
YOU GUYS BETTER NOT MAKE FUN OF ME OR I'M GONNA TROLL YOU!!!

Also, I've never stolen a game I didn't already own/own at some time in the past, although I have pirated XP.

Thanatos*~

Smash Apprentice
in response to mainstream games suck:

I agree, I just dun understand why you would steal them. They suck, so just don't play them. It's a big beautiful world out there, and if you're not going to squander that by playing some **** good vidjo games, you might as well not squander it at all.
theres an urge to press buttons in a diff setting sometimes. Usually it some desire to play with the game engine.....Hence me yargh'ing Lost Planet. I was occupied with smash at the time of its release so i got it like 2-3 years after its release. I dun sit around and wait for the next group of flavor of the months, pick what I think may be the more remotely interesting and yargh it. Sometimes its just an urge to play something diff which almost always doesnt happen anyways.

one company I kinda give slack to in the whole, movie production mainstream thing is squaresoft/enix. They kinda ***** themselves out in comparison to the other rpg companies like altus etc. but they been doin that since the plystation era so its just not some fad with them. they've been high profile for a while in my eyes.

Whats ur thoughts on yargh'ing foreign games. Thats probly the most of the types of games I've yargh'd. (Lots of the earlier naruto figthers.) Should I import them and use a region breaker or buy the system according to the region?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
@ pof: i figured hi anti air game would be decent with reverse dp+k an qcp+mp/hp

plus i think standing mp/hp does it too

hondas too good tho
All in all most characters best option for their anti air is crouching HP including Ken and Ryu because it suffers the least amount of ending lag.

E hondas pretty good but I get really annoyed by his foot speed. I also always feel like my options with him aren't that good. His jumping HP is incredible though. That ****s a wall. If you aren't using jumping HP with him, you're playing him wrong.

Don't forget his wakeup game is terrible. Score one knockdown on him and Gouken suddenly becomes free.
Dhalsim
**** Dhalsim. lol.

Yeah, his wake up game is horrible. So is Abels....it makes me so sad. I love how he can combo crouching HP into ultra from an anti air though. :)

Abels definitely underrated and I think is a little higher than where he is now. Maybe by a spot or two.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Hey guys, I've decided to start posting in an obnoxious color to draw more attention to myself. Which obnoxious color should it be?

This one?

Or maybe this color?

How about this one?

Or is this better?

Remember, I'm going for maximum annoyance.

EDIT- And Chun Li owns.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Hey guys, I've decided to start posting in an obnoxious color to draw more attention to myself. Which obnoxious color should it be?

This one?

Or maybe this color?

How about this one?

Or is this better?

Remember, I'm going for maximum annoyance.

EDIT- And Chun Li owns.
Magenta is the best one.
Blue is harder to read on my forum skin, Orchid is kinda calm, and slate gray is more dull.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
theres an urge to press buttons in a diff setting sometimes. Usually it some desire to play with the game engine.....Hence me yargh'ing Lost Planet. I was occupied with smash at the time of its release so i got it like 2-3 years after its release. I dun sit around and wait for the next group of flavor of the months, pick what I think may be the more remotely interesting and yargh it. Sometimes its just an urge to play something diff which almost always doesnt happen anyways.

one company I kinda give slack to in the whole, movie production mainstream thing is squaresoft/enix. They kinda ***** themselves out in comparison to the other rpg companies like altus etc. but they been doin that since the plystation era so its just not some fad with them. they've been high profile for a while in my eyes.

Whats ur thoughts on yargh'ing foreign games. Thats probly the most of the types of games I've yargh'd. (Lots of the earlier naruto figthers.) Should I import them and use a region breaker or buy the system according to the region?
lol, I dunno, yargh em to your hearts content. Region breaking is stupid and I still dun get why they make it so you have to have a different system in Japan than the one you have here. that's dum. If they didn't bunch their panties up about that and just let people play imported games, I'd say order it off ebai or something, but w/e, they've made it so that you can't play games that already exist and I think that's stupid.

Top Bottom