• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

consecutive hits on training mode

metaike

Smash Cadet
If you get consecutive hits on training mode is it a combo? How does that work? I know tech and DI out of some "combos" but idk. Ive noticed how autocanceled aerials can link into other moves (For example Falco's dair autocancels and can lead to another dair). It shows that it's a consecutive hit but when I get to 100% and I autocancel Falco's dair then it still combos????????

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
The counter tracks whether or not the person getting hit was still in hitstun. After you get hit, there's a variable period where you the game won't pay attention to any button inputs, so you're really a sitting duck. If you get hit again during this period, the combo counter goes up. True combos are inescapable because they hit people who are still in hitstun and therefore have no escape options.

The reason combos don exits in Brawl is that hitstun is super short for most moves, to the point that it's relatively rare that the attacker can finish an attack animation and follow up before hitstun ends. If the opponent gets even one frame out of hitstun, a lot of characters (e.g. Marf, Bowser, Zamus, Squirtle) have moves which either attack on frame 1 and hit the attacker out of the string, or have invincibility frames on startup, which means pretty much the same thing.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think it counts a certain amount of time for the next hit to occur. Stuff like breaking a shield *may* be a combo, but I haven't checked. This does not mean they're true combos, though they're probably strings at the very least. True combos are strings of attacks that can't be defended against depending on the target once the first hit occurs except for stuff like DI. Like, a jab with multiple hits can be DI'd, but those are counted as combos by the game; in a few examples, however, a character may be able to break out of it (for example, with Marth's Dolphin Slash).

I'm really bad at explaining stuff, so I'll wait for someone else to speak.

EDIT: Or I'll post after someone.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
If you get consecutive hits on training mode is it a combo? How does that work? I know tech and DI out of some "combos" but idk. Ive noticed how autocanceled aerials can link into other moves (For example Falco's dair autocancels and can lead to another dair). It shows that it's a consecutive hit but when I get to 100% and I autocancel Falco's dair then it still combos????????
Combos in training mode don't really apply to real play most of the time, as it doesn't factor in any DI, neither does it factor in stale/decayed moves. Like SoR, they wouldn't be true combos on opponents.

Basically this is an add on to SoR's post lol.

metaike

Smash Cadet
Ok thanks i was just wondering. I was guessing that you have to hit them during the hitstun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Also, attacks strong enough to send into tumble won't be read correctly, because you can always cancel tumble on frame 13 with an airdodge and on frame 25 with an aerial. Hilariously enough, if you land a hit after the airdodge it can still count as a consecutive hit because technically the hitstun didn't run out yet.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
well they already explained, just know what a auto cancel is.
EX:DK punch, dk gets hits hit right b4 its done but DK is not effected...

Luigi player

Smash Master
Did you know that Training Mode counts pummels as combos?
What's wrong with that?

I think training mode is fine.

If you need fresh moves or weakened moves for a combo then it might not be the best way to try it in training mode... other than that it should be okay.

Top Bottom