• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Considering an upgrade to Vista...

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I've decided that I'm going to build myself a new computer with some unwilling friends of mine. I've got the hardware picked out, but I need to decide on the operating system. I'm using it for gaming mostly, so I'm going with Windows, but I don't know if I want to upgrade to Vista, or stick with XP. I heard things about Vista early in its release about problems running games and the like, but I'm not sure if that's been cleared up. I still have a good gaming laptop with XP to run any games that won't work with Vist, but I'd still like to know if there are going to be issues.

Also, would you reccomend that I get Nvidia video cards or ATI cards? I'm looking at getting a couple of 9800's and linking them, but I've heard conflicting things about the superiority of Nvidia. Some people say Nvidia is better, some say ATI, so I don't know what to think about either.

Edit: Also, regarding memory is there a particularly good manufacturer you could reccomend?

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
You should stick with XP - you will lose performance using Vista with all its resource hogging background processes.

Vista still has compatibility issues. If you really want to upgrade, I would stick with XP and wait till Windows 7 comes out.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
OS wise my laptop runs Vista and I haven't had any problems. Apparently 64-bit Vista runs games better so bear (rawr) that in mind. Windows 7 is supposed to be coming out soon I think so you could wait for that.

Can't help you with the rest.

On the compatability issues: Vista lets you set the compatability to an earlier version of windows (i.e. XP) so I haven't had any trouble there either. DoW: Dark Crusade not working? Right Click → Properties → Compatability → Windows XP SP2, Boom we're in, Job done.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, well that sounds good. But if Windows 7 is in fact coming out soon maybe I ought to just wait for that. But ****, seems like just yesterday that Vista came out. They sure are in a hurry to get a new one out...

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Hmm, well that sounds good. But if Windows 7 is in fact coming out soon maybe I ought to just wait for that. But ****, seems like just yesterday that Vista came out. They sure are in a hurry to get a new one out...
So true. I remember when I was ecstatic about Vista and then when I finally got it I was thoroughly disappointed. Copying/pasting files takes a ****load of time, the background processes as stated before take up a lot of your memory and the compatibility issues is what pisses me off the most.

Top Bottom