• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control scheme setup

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
I was originally going to post this to ask for a nifty use for my b button, but i'm interested in what control schemes others use.

I have tap off, and y set to special. Now my B button is sitting there, all neglected and sad, so i'm trying to find another use for it, any suggestions?

bigman40

Smash Master
GC: L for aerials, X as specials, B as jump. Slide my thumb from Y to B, and push L to DR.

CC: L as attack, R as grabs, and ZR as shield. Slide from X to Y, and push L to DR.

Both have no tap jump. I hate that thing...

bigman40

Smash Master
b for jump for DR? Sounds helpful maybe? bba?
I don't prefer the "tapping" method ( XXA or YYA, etc.) cause there's a limit on how well you can really DR. The "sliding" method (going from Y to B or Y to X) makes DRing more possible for consistency and it's less stress on the hands. You'll be able to identify what you need to change (in timing) if you're messing up, and you'll be able to attack immediately without need to have your right thumb go into chaos going to all the buttons (here, you would go from Y to B, push L, and with the time you have you'll be able to comfortably tilt, smash, or even jab effectively).

It's quite useful when you get used to the controls (slide Y to X to ETS, Y to B for DR). The main thing that people might have is the fact their thumb accidentally hits the A button. So, they give up relatively quickly without trying to make their thumb navigate around it (and being able to apply the correct pressure to push down Y and B, but not A). It's up to you, but that's what I find as the next best option to using tough techs (I.E. the DR) when people don't want to use Tap Jump, as that's the easiest method.

Sharky

Smash Master
Bigman, can you slide from y to b then roll to a for DR with that set-up? That would be nice for me =)

Sharky

Smash Master
hmmm....

I decided to actually look around for my sensor bar, found it, and I'm trying that now. Sliding from y to b is really awkward =/

bigman40

Smash Master
yeah, it is awkward at first, but it's fairly easy to get used to. Also, it's possible to do Y B A, but to me, it feels like it's putting your thumb in an even more awkward position. Like, you have to hit the Y with the tip of your thumb, then hit B with the side of your thumb, then hit A. It's alot of rolling that I don't think you can get used to, though, you can still try it and see how you feel about it.

Try Y B C-stick. That works, and if you get used to sliding from Y to B, then you can get Y B C-stick.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i just have R set to attack for Sheik's DACUS and tap jump off

i need to work on ETS, course i can't really set L to jump if i wanna sheild and dodge
i'm avoiding DR for now

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Maybe ill try yba, or yb c stick, but i had just gotten used to y for special to use slide, guess i can swap y and x >_>

Airborne

Smash Lord
i jump w/ X and don't really like using Y...besides i've gotten too used to L for shield i think

is it too hard to ETS sliding from X to upB?
still need to practice that
on GC controller, definitely yes, because that A button gets in the way so easily that i do an aerial instead of egg toss.... or even egg roll.....

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
What Bwett said. I need to be able to ETS because that is the best way for me to get in edgehogs, as for DR, I do x-x-a and I can do it very consistently, it just takes practice.

Sharky

Smash Master
I was about to be brilliant, but then was foiled.

I set A to jump, and was going to try x->a->c-stick. Sounds fool-proof, right? Well, there's a problem.

I go from x->a too fast, and end up just doing a short-hop aerial. o___O

fail. >___>

edit: Controller took a toll from me trying, too. I think. Not good at all. >.<

Top Bottom