• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Control Setups?

Sycko

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am new to the whole forum thing, and comp. smash in general. I dig Ike, and I was wondering about controller setups. I set x to grab and turned tap jump off. I can still upsmash out of qd and it makes it easier for me to jc grab. An help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
Are you asking if your setup limits you or isn't optimal for some reason? If so, I don't see any problem with your setup. The whole point of custom controls is to make the game more comfortable to individual players, so as long as you have all of the commands mapped to something and as long as the controls feel comfortable to you, there shouldn't be any problems.

I personally turn tap jump off, map jump to L, and set c-stick to attack. This allows me to easily use any aerial while moving in any direction, as well as out of a jump.

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
I would also set Z to jump, solely for the purpose of jump cancels. It makes it a lot easier to JC grab, JC Usmash, and JC anything. I personally started out with Z jump just for jump cancels, but now I only jump with Z, and Y is Dtaunt / footstool, cause disrespect is highly important.

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
I would also set Z to jump, solely for the purpose of jump cancels. It makes it a lot easier to JC grab, JC Usmash, and JC anything. I personally started out with Z jump just for jump cancels, but now I only jump with Z, and Y is Dtaunt / footstool, cause disrespect is highly important.
What do you set to grab?

WhinoTheRhino

Smash Apprentice
What do you set to grab?
X is grab. Z jump is better than X/Y jump in every way except DACUS (I have to claw the DACUS but Ike's DACUS isn't that good anyways), and maybe item play, since the grab button is a bit harder to access.

(Also DACUS could be just as easy if L or R is set to Attack/Grab, but I use L for l-cancelling and shielding, and R for wavedashing, so I'm fine with clawing the DACUS.)

Last edited:

Sycko

Smash Rookie
I would think that jump canceled grab would be easier with grab as x because i dont have to move my thumb. I see what you are saying with jc upsmash would be easier, but is it ok to claw it? Sorrry.

ninjuh1124

Smash Cadet
I put grab on L, which I also removed the spring for, because I can't be arsed to move my right index finger from R all the way to Z. Works out pretty well, can DACUS and QDJCG as consistently as the next guy

Frakture

Smash Apprentice
Is controller mods not banned from most tournament?
You can't do things like have turbo or macro inputs, but I've never been to a tournament where removing springs wasn't allowed.

Last edited:

Helsong

Smash Ace
I personally just use default. I use tap jump to just jump sometimes if my right thumb is doing something else, and JC QD stuff doesn't seem much tougher for it. Ike doesn't require too many finger-twisty movements, at least for what I do.

Top Bottom