• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

control stick instead of x?

stretto

Smash Rookie
Hi I am a real noob to this game, but I am wondering whether anyone uses the control stick up to jump instead of x? I find it very difficult to short hop with fox... Thanks

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure there are a few players who use control stick to jump.

But jumping with the control stick is a huge hindrance to movement which is real important in this game.

I'd suggest making the switch to Y or X now while it's easier on you. Keep at it, short hopping will be natural soon :).

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, it really isn't difficult to switch and it's a really good idea to. I used to use the analogue stick to jump since the 64 and decided to stop a few months ago. I got used to it in like a week and now I can't even use the analogue stick to jump, only Y.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Stick with X! You just have to train yourself to be fast. Once you practice it for a while it will eventually become second nature. HBOX jumps with his control stick afaik, but I wouldn't recommend it unless it just feels completely natural to you. It takes a lot more precision and finesse to master the use of the control stick for jump compared to using X imho.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
You may feel like you will never get better if you can't make the switch easily, but I promise that if you spend an hour trying to short hop and then if you start shuffling aerials with it, you'll be fine. Just make it feel like instinct.

stretto

Smash Rookie
ok thanks guys! Just to make it clear, I always used to use x but I just found it to be crazy sensitive for fox short hop.. but I will persevere and try to perfect it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
ok thanks guys! Just to make it clear, I always used to use x but I just found it to be crazy sensitive for fox short hop.. but I will persevere and try to perfect it.
Yeah man keep going with it. Fox IC's and falcon are the hardest characters to shorthop in the game anyway. after a while it will get really easy.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Falcon is the hardest to shorthop with in the game?
AND FOX?
I thought it was Samus or Sheik. Maybe I am misinformed but Fox and Falcon are the first two characters who I could shorthop with.

durb

Smash Rookie
ive always used control stick and i think it actually makes some things easier so if u feel comfortable with it then use it

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Falcon is the hardest to shorthop with in the game?
AND FOX?
I thought it was Samus or Sheik. Maybe I am misinformed but Fox and Falcon are the first two characters who I could shorthop with.
iirc samus and sheik come pretty much right after fox/IC/falco

Bones0

Smash Legend
If you are going to play Fox or Falco, I highly recommend switching from X to Y. Y is closer to B and does not have A in between. When you get better tech skill going from jump to B is very important, and a lot of players struggle with stuff like LHDL, SHDL, and Multishines because they use X.

How easy it is to jump with a character is based on how many frames it takes them to leave the ground.

Mew2King said:
4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser
Source

NNID
dansalvato
If you are going to play Fox or Falco, I highly recommend switching from X to Y. Y is closer to B and does not have A in between. When you get better tech skill going from jump to B is very important, and a lot of players struggle with stuff like LHDL, SHDL, and Multishines because they use X.
I'm not sure it makes enough of a difference to matter. As a Falco player, I've never had trouble with X.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
The difference is only two frames but it really is a visible change. SH with Fox seems a billion times more difficult than SH with Falco before you get used to it.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well I use x and have never found it problematic. I will try Y and see if it makes things any easier. Multishines should be done with Y but I don't think the association exists between which button you use to jump and which you use to multishine.

I use the control stick to SHDL. I suppose I probably can't do it with X, but I've never really tried. Using X has always felt more natural for me.

I'm definitely going to give using Y a try. Maybe it will make my tech skill more consistent overall.

Wave-Guiding Hero

Smash Apprentice
I use the x button for short hops, and the control stick for full jumps and recovering. No matter how much I practiced, I could never recover with X or Y, it just feels so unnatural to me. :/

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Well, I guess since we're on the topic about using X, do people in general use X or Y to wavedash? A friend was telling me that it's really uncommon to wavedash with the analog stick (such as myself) and was wondering if people for the most part wavedash with X or Y. I wavedash with the analog stick and it's pretty natural to me.

NNID
dansalvato
Well, I guess since we're on the topic about using X, do people in general use X or Y to wavedash? A friend was telling me that it's really uncommon to wavedash with the analog stick (such as myself) and was wondering if people for the most part wavedash with X or Y. I wavedash with the analog stick and it's pretty natural to me.
You successfully mix that in with dash dancing and all? I can't even imagine it.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Lol yeah, if I want to, I can dash dance and wavedash. Is it really that uncommon?

Terry

Smash Ace
A friend of mine uses the control stick to jump. I'd say use x though because you can't really influence your direction as well/ easily.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol yeah, if I want to, I can dash dance and wavedash. Is it really that uncommon?
Probably. Wouldn't it be really hard for someone with a fast jump like Fox. Back when I was like 12, wavedashing took me like 5 mins to get down but if I had tried control stick it probably would have taken WAY longer.

Massive

Smash Champion
A lot of really good people use the stick for jumps, it usually means they have good thumb control to begin with.

Up to jump makes stuff like Falcon's uairs and jiggs' bairs much easier to perform as soon as possible out of the jump and frees up your other hand for inputs you would normally have to hit two buttons with your right hand for.

I usually use x for everything though. Well, not everything. There are instances when I use both Y and X for DJCs on ness/mewtwo.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Some context: I use control stick, and I'm a mid-level player. (By mid-level I mean that at an average national I feel that I'm better than approximately 2/3s of the players there).

I used to think control stick was just worse, but some things are easier with it.

-You get to C-stick all your aerials. This is a big benefit when you want to instant uair with Falcon/Marth/Mario/whatever. Especially Mario.

-Doubleshining is debatably easier. I've heard people claim both methods are easier for this, so I'm not sure.
-It works really well for pillaring. (Shield pressure with Fox/Falco)

that being said, it really sucks for retreating laser, and it's a lot harder to shffl nairs repeatedly at the fastest rate while moving with fox. You also can't pivot aerial. Instant double jumping is harder.

Chillin and Lovage use the stick to jump, afaik.

All that being said I figure using the button is a lot easier to learn/get consistent with, so you should probably just do that

Landry

Smash Ace
Some context: I use control stick, and I'm a mid-level player. (By mid-level I mean that at an average national I feel that I'm better than approximately 2/3s of the players there).

I used to think control stick was just worse, but some things are easier with it.

-You get to C-stick all your aerials. This is a big benefit when you want to instant uair with Falcon/Marth/Mario/whatever. Especially Mario.

-Doubleshining is debatably easier. I've heard people claim both methods are easier for this, so I'm not sure.
-It works really well for pillaring. (Shield pressure with Fox/Falco)

that being said, it really sucks for retreating laser, and it's a lot harder to shffl nairs repeatedly at the fastest rate while moving with fox. You also can't pivot aerial. Instant double jumping is harder.

Chillin and Lovage use the stick to jump, afaik.

All that being said I figure using the button is a lot easier to learn/get consistent with, so you should probably just do that

So do you use the control stick to wavedash too, or would you use x or y for something like that. Just curious, because I use control stick for everything but have been considering changing to x or y for wavedashing because it seems more convenient.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Up R Down to wavedash wtf hbox lol. I just tried it out it feels really really weird.

I use X to jump, X R Down to wavedash. I have a good muscle cue of sliding my thumb off X while hitting R with my index finger that makes wavedashing nice. I use up and the c-stick for double jump aerials, and occasionally up+A for full hop Uair.

I'm trying to switch to shielding with L for wavedash Oos. I've been trying to practice wavedash oos using the R for both shield and WD and it's really tough. Is it worth it?

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Probably. Wouldn't it be really hard for someone with a fast jump like Fox. Back when I was like 12, wavedashing took me like 5 mins to get down but if I had tried control stick it probably would have taken WAY longer.
Oh. I don't have too much trouble when I do use Fox but my wavedashing sucks with Fox because I don't put in the time to learn the timing or use the character much. But yeah, no doubt Fox is harder.

Acryte

Smash Ace
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300411

The buttons you choose should feel natural but not just when you are doing basic things but should also work when you transition to more technical play later on. This thread covers pretty much everything you need to consider.

A lot of people are of the opinion that you should go with whatever feels natural, however there are many configurations that feel natural until later on when you are doing more complicated things. Looking at your options beforehand isn't a bad thing.

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
as a luigi main, i can't even imagine WDing around with x, the motions on the control stick have permanently been engraved into my very being. i agree with c stick aerials being way easier with control stick, so are foxes SHDL. i don't know, i feel like control stick flows much more naturally with some characters more than others, fox mains are probably much better off with x for WSing and WDing, but i can still consistently do those things with control stick so i guess its all preference.

crush

Smash Master
Actually it wouldn't have taken much longer probably I learned wavedashing with X and control stick as fox in the same amount of time when I was 12 too.

:phone:

Top Bottom