• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller setup

Hillzoer

Smash Rookie
Hi.
I was just wondering what the most common/best controller setup for a Luigi player is on a GameCube controller. I mean what is your jump button ect..
I've been playing with jump on the analog stick but I was thinking of learning to jump with Y or X so it's easier to use the tilt moves. What is your opinion?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'd recommend using something other than the analog stick, but other than that, use whatever is most comfortable for you. Personally, i use the "X" for jumping, but you really shouldn't decide what you should use based on what's best for other people.

Banditsofthesea

Smash Apprentice
I use GameCube controller with default setup (wih jump with X or Y) but with C-stick set to Attack so i won't fast fall aerials and to tilt easier.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I'd suggest you use default controls. Usually I have tap jump off cause I can't do upairs/utilts/up angled fsmash. But with tap jump on you hand cordiantion should be able to handle it. Cause you need tap jump on
for upsmash out of shield and shoryuken out of shield. You reach a higher level of luigi play with that.

Tap jump off = utilts/upairs/upangled fsmash/doesnt eat your second jump if you suck

Tap jump on = out of shield > upsmash/shoryuken, you can still do those ^^ but just much harder

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Bah, tap jump off saves me the sweat of being so bloody accurate and wasting my jumps. Sure, Upsmash and UpB out of shield becomes harder, but my playing style doesn't involve me getting in those situations anyway. Its all about how you play the game, i use X to jump because i think i can shorthop dair faster that way with the C stick. Thats important to me because i do that a lot...all about preference.

Hillzoer

Smash Rookie
I find it easier to use the tilt moves without tap jump, but I feel that my air game takes some dmg without tap jump. Guess I should learn to be more accurate and learn to use tilt moves with tap jump since I feel that the air game is more important..

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
back in melee for a while, i used the tap to jump. And when i decided to switch to X, it was awkward for a good few weeks, and not natural for at least a month, (i'd been using tap since 64, it was a big change for me) but since my switch, i'd seen noticeable improvements that would not be possible without tap jump off. you can be more dexterous with it off, i'd suggest trying to use x or y until it becomes natural.

Hillzoer

Smash Rookie
back in melee for a while, i used the tap to jump. And when i decided to switch to X, it was awkward for a good few weeks, and not natural for at least a month, (i'd been using tap since 64, it was a big change for me) but since my switch, i'd seen noticeable improvements that would not be possible without tap jump off. you can be more dexterous with it off, i'd suggest trying to use x or y until it becomes natural.
yeah, I've played with tap jump off the whole day, and I'm already starting to get used to it. I think I'm going to stick with tap jump off since it's easier to pull off tilt moves and up tilted fsmash.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
Well after I changed to XandY it was hard, srsly my whole game was changed but I thank the person who make me change my mind. Also, I never use C-sticks to use smash attacks because my finers r too short and i haven't useed to gc controller yet

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
You'll use Luigi a lot better if you cstick smashes, its just something you need to get used too. I take it you are new to the scene if you need to get used the the gamecube setup? Do some drilling in training or even when the game isn't one. Seriously i learned to wavedash because i would practice doing it even if i wasn't on melee lol..

Top Bottom