• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controllers? Advice and general chitchat

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Hi guys.

Firstly, I was wondering what the general thoughts are on the following type of controllers: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LOT-2-BLACK...ries?hash=item45eb7b9a99&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They're obviously clones and not the real deal by Nintendo, but I haven't heard anything about how good they actually are. I've always assumed that you get what you pay for and Nintendo is the best (despite all my controllers actually being crap right now, so I'm getting some new ones), but I think I saw some people using these at a local anime con.

Are controllers like these allowed at tournaments, and are they even worth it?

I think I'm going to end up getting the pair of white official ones they have on ebay for ~$50-60; though, what do you all think?

And past that general advice/answer seeking, how about everyone tells me what type/color of controller they use? I'm actually quite partial to the orange color, so maybe I'll be able to find one of those. :laugh:

Thanks guys! :bee:

POKE40

Smash Lord
First they are third party controllers so I'm a bit skeptical, it isn't much of "allowed" at tournaments being the problem, but rather is are they even worth it?

Anything can happen w/ third party controllers.
If you get it, test it and if it lives more than a month or two, it can be considered "good"

Afrayail

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm very skeptical of 3rd party controllers. Usually I can't even take them seriously because their designs are so janky and messed up, but these ones appear to have the layout "nearly identical" to the official ones. That'd be nice, but I still don't trust the life, etc, of them unless I hear otherwise from someone that's experienced these before ^_^;

Thanks!

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I had one of these before, joystick broke after two weeks of use.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
My two cents would be to always get Nintendo brand when you can. Third party's break easily and quickly, and my experience with 'em leads me to believe they are just not worth it.

Smash Master
My control pad is really sticky. My thumb drys up after like two stocks. I have no idea how it got this way, and I tried scrubbing it with a toothbrush, but it didn't help. Any advice?

Shök

Smash Champion
These controllers have a different texture to them. They feel like a primer texture finish.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I remember my friend had a 3rd party GC controller and it was great. It lasted for like 6 years and still works though the wire is broken but it isnt defective or anything. Although I remember this one controller I had broke down after an hour :chuckle:. btw does anyone know if there is such a thing as C stick on the nunchuck?

Afrayail

Smash Ace
On the nunchuck? There are different settings, but I -think- my friend had his wii-mote/nunchuck set up so that the control pad on the wii-mote was his C stick.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I bought one of those. Definitely a different feel and i'm constantly taking it apart to fix the joystick and right trigger. Stick to Nintendo. In my experience (short of the n64 controller), they build far more solid hardware than sony and microsoft (especially).

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good stuff, I've been looking for GC controls, or something similar.

They seem alrite to me, anything is better then the 3rd party i got atm

Top Bottom