• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coping in tournament situation

Smo

Smash Journeyman
So today I played my first tourney match.. and I lost. The tourney was only one round to a match :(

I play as Doc btw
I was against Falco

Match summary (from my point of view):
First stock - controller ****ed up. My X button stopped working. I didn't want to make a fuss so i paused it after realising this and changed pad. He killed me pretty easily in this stock, ****** me with Fsmash.
Second stock - still played ****ty cos of nerves. I play a very natural technical game - I find WDing comes naturally normally and I can tech, chain throw and stuff easily. But I stopped believing in myself. I started using rolling. I was afraid to use Bairs to edge guard. Fsmash killed me again
Third stock - I'm still getting beaten, but not quite so badly. I regain a bit of technical control. I get a ledgehop Fair in. A few shuffled Bairs.
Fourth stock- I'm 60% down, and he's not on one stock with 0%. But now I pulled it together. He got some hits on me, but my DI was perfect and I got a good combo on him. I managed to bring him up to 90% but then once again was hit by Fsmash.

I'm not trying to whine here, beacuse the guy still beat me.

But how does one cope in a tourney situation?
I played terribly.

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
Play more tournament matches, over time you will relax in those situations.
That's about all it ever comes down to. Just play more. Side things can help though, like support from your play group during the match, or listening to music so you won't get distracted, but it's most rare for anything to make up for plain old experience.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
Tha'ts hard for me though because in the UK there are not many tourneys...

I guess i'll just ahve to try and get round to some.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Do your best to think of it as a normal game with nothing on the line. It's a lot easier to play if you go into it with a "this should be fun" attitude rather than "I want to win." Makes it easier to recover from mistakes.

Bailey

Smash Hero
JOHN!!!!!!

lol jk what Mathos said the more you play in the easier it gets. I still have kinda a nerve problem causing me to fvck up every now and then.

Smo

Smash Journeyman
eheh... I tried not to John the whole way through, considering he won.
I was congratulated for my last stock showing the most flair out of the whole tourney though :p

NinjaRooster

Smash Cadet
I have the exact same problem dude. Just be calm and try not to think about losing really badly. I did that once and I got beat really badly.

Take everyone else's advice: go to more tournaments. Organize your own if you have to. The only way to overcome those jitters is to practice in that kind of environment over and over again until you're used to tournament pressure.

nice1

Smash Lord
i no how u feel man i was at my 3rd tourney and i froze up when i played a sheik with fox. i sd twice which made me lose my match. the advice i can say is go to more tourneys and you will get used to it

Drephen

Smash Master
if there arent many tournaments going around, money match as many people as you can. Its not exactly the same as a tournament match but it will help get the nerves out and help you become a better player. I know KDJ got really good really fast cause of this

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Don't play with your emotions...if you screw up then let it pass but keep your head clear. Also don't dwell on trying to do a certain combo or move, because if it fails and you're intention is to make it happen, it will mess up your gameplay badly by repeated attempts that will just make you predictable.

Top Bottom