• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Could Toon Link Be The New Shiek?

ChaosInvoker

Smash Rookie
Toon Link is fast, he has an arsenal of useful projectiles, his forward smash is great and he has decent power as well, the only argument I see now is his knock back.

Could Toon Link be the new Shiek in Brawl?

ninjakoala

Smash Rookie
i do enjoy playing as toon link, but i havent really studied the characters enough to develop my own idea of tiers yet. its way to early for that

(but your labeled a noob b/c u only have a couple of posts. the more u post, ur rank will go up.)

Baconater

Smash Cadet
I think it may be a little too early for that kind of comparison. I know it's really tempting to make bridges between melee and brawl but it just seems like a bad idea to me. The playstyle is different to the point that I feel like it's more appropriate to make comparisons between brawl and 64. Maybe like pikachu in 64?

ChaosInvoker

Smash Rookie
Your right, it is too early for a tier list. I'm only saying he has potential. ^-^

(and thanks for explaining the automatic label)

The 5th Horseman

Smash Ace
I don't think so.

I try and alter between the two, and Sheik handles totally different from TL. Speed, attack ability, and strengths of the attacks. And the example of TL's foreword smash and Sheik's? TL's is strong, and the only projectile Sheik holds is the needles, (Unless you consider the chain as one, for some odd reason.)

ChaosInvoker

Smash Rookie
I didn't mean they are similar, I meant do you think he is the new cheap character of Brawl, like Shiek was in Melee.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Sheik got nerfed, A LOT. I do agree with Zero Suit Samus being the next "Sheik". Toon Link is very fun to play with. Very good projectile and his aerials are good for some comboing.
Yeah i also agree. TL is not the new sheik, even though he is fun and sort of similar. ZSS is definately the new Sheik. I think TL is too floaty and not quite fast enough.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
TL is a great character, but I wouldn't necessarily compare him to Shiek. I don't see how people are saying Zamus is tho. Her projectiles are terrible and I'm not one for a tether recovery. That's just me tho.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
No, because Toon Link takes skill to use. :p

Seriously though...Toon Link is a really good character, but he takes a lot of technical skill to use. He does have counters. R.O.B. and Olimar are considered to be Toon Link's toughest opponents. Like any character, he CAN be gimped, but you really have to know what your doing. He isn't, say, Zelda, who is very easy to gimp. A bad Toon Link user is obnoxious, while a skilled one is down right scary.

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Actually, PXG, I disagree with the olimar = TL counter thing for now. I mained YL in melee so my obvious choice for main is TL, my friend has played olimar plenty enough to be good with him. The whole match... while it was VERY crazy and we had some awesome projectile counters, didn't seem to favor either one of us. Olimar does have some moves that out-range/prioritize TL's better move (TL dair vs olimar Uair), but on the same coin TL has some counters to olimar too.

Another note, if you play a really good or projectile based TL, and you have good aim/prediction, you can kill his pikmin pretty easily. That was my main strategy for set up to kill, kill pikmin and try to smash him off before he gets them back to nerf his recovery.

On the main topic, TL does take a fair amount of skill to use as oppose to melee sheik. My vote for brawl sheik is either metaknight or pit, neither take a lot of skill to do good with.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
There is no real "Sheik" in this game because the combos don't flow very easily anymore: you really have to work to hit consecutive attacks in a row. In this aspect, I guess Metaknight is the easiest for this sort of thing, but he doesn't have nearly the dangerous KO power Sheik had.

Toon Link is a projectile god in this game, and his aerial game is nearly unmatched. He's a force to be reckoned with.

Wazzle

Smash Rookie
NNID
wazzle
No, because Toon Link takes skill to use. :p

Seriously though...Toon Link is a really good character, but he takes a lot of technical skill to use. He does have counters. R.O.B. and Olimar are considered to be Toon Link's toughest opponents. Like any character, he CAN be gimped, but you really have to know what your doing. He isn't, say, Zelda, who is very easy to gimp. A bad Toon Link user is obnoxious, while a skilled one is down right scary.
Yeah, olimar can definitely hold his own well against TL, but it isnt huge advantage. The biggest win over TL is definitely the Dair vs. Uair, other than that they are even.

On the main topic, I agree with most others, they are just too different. TL is great, but you need some skill to be good with him. However, the new sheik isn't sheik (too weak), and it isn't pit. While pit IS easy to use for n00bs, he isnt high tier material (just my opinion).

pkSTORMEr

Smash Rookie
shiek may have been nerfed but i still like how they made him in brawl. sure he got nerfed in some aspects but in other aspects... he got buffed.

he's still a good character imo

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Exactly. Metaknight is super n00b friendly, people can just pick him up and do well, he's really easy.
Its easy to pick up on meta knight's moves (press and and toward your opponent), but too actualy be good with him is still a challenge.

THE most noob friendly character in the game is pit. Most anti-noob is...hm....bowser?

Veil2222

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link is pretty obviously better than link, and sheik got nerfed pretty hard. If you think link's *persona* is better, than sure, why not.... but as an effective character link is pretty far down there.

Marie_54

Smash Ace
Toon Link = Sheik?

Toon Link is as small as a potatoe...

...but that doesn't make him a real potatoe like Sheik...

Now seriously, from what you said, the new cheap char is...

LANDMASTAH!! Shoop Da whoop!

HuffmanD

Smash Rookie
it's weird, but i loved playing shiek in melee, and now i really love TL. and i've made the same comparison you have.

i will say that TL and shiek are completely different. but it's almost like shiek's physics model was given to toon link, because he runs jumps and falls at almost the same rate she did. and shiek herself is a lot floatier.

zssamus is pretty fast and has great combo potential, but the way she handles is kind of awkward. i guess it's cuz she's a bigger character than you are lead to believe.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Its easy to pick up on meta knight's moves (press and and toward your opponent), but too actualy be good with him is still a challenge.

THE most noob friendly character in the game is pit. Most anti-noob is...hm....bowser?
actually being good with sheik was tough in melee too... at the middle competitive level, sheiks get run over by foxes and falcos all over the place

at the beginner/lower levels, sheik is the easiest, and imo metaknight is the same in brawl

i will say that TL and shiek are completely different. but it's almost like shiek's physics model was given to toon link, because he runs jumps and falls at almost the same rate she did. and shiek herself is a lot floatier.
wow toon link is one of the floatiest in the game, whereas sheik was one of the faster fallers in melee

Top Bottom