• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

counter picks for falcon

Baseline

Smash Rookie
there was a thread for counterpicks for falcon vs everyone else but I can't find it so i made this one to ask what stages not to pick and what stages to counter pick

right now i want to know fox, falco, peach, marth, samus, and shiek

jmic

Smash Ace
Don't Pick: Jungle Japes. Poke Float. Rainbow Cruise.
Pick: Dreamland 64, FD, Pokemon Statium (Big Stages)
You're clearly misinformed about Captain Falcon. Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise are wonderful stages for Falcon, because almost no one can maneuver around the stage as well as he can, moreso with Poke Floats.

In terms of small stages, Falcon's aerial game is a little compromised, but his tech reading is highlighted because of the limited space one can tech on. Yoshi's Story was built for Falcon to waveland on. Check out Silent Spectre's combo video, "Silence". The only small stage I'd advise against is Fountain of Dreams, because the moving platforms interrupt Falcon's SHFFLd aerials.

there was a thread for counterpicks for falcon vs everyone else but I can't find it so i made this one to ask what stages not to pick and what stages to counter pick

right now i want to know fox, falco, peach, marth, samus, and shiek
In terms of counterpicks, it really is up to you to decide where you're most comfortable. Get to know ALL of the possible counterpick stages, and then you can decide for yourself. Memorize things like when specific floats will come out, how long you can stay on them, where you can wall jump, etc.

Personally, I'd take Fox to FD (tech chase possibilities are endless), Falco to Brinstar (hinders his ability to laser camp), Marth to Dreamland (he can't Fsmash tip me when i'm above him on a platform) or PokeFloats (his vertical recovery make it tricky for him to maneuver around the floats), and sheik to anywhere but Fountain.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You're clearly misinformed about Captain Falcon. Poke Floats and Rainbow Cruise are wonderful stages for Falcon, because almost no one can maneuver around the stage as well as he can, moreso with Poke Floats.

In terms of small stages, Falcon's aerial game is a little compromised, but his tech reading is highlighted because of the limited space one can tech on. Yoshi's Story was built for Falcon to waveland on. Check out Silent Spectre's combo video, "Silence". The only small stage I'd advise against is Fountain of Dreams, because the moving platforms interrupt Falcon's SHFFLd aerials.

In terms of counterpicks, it really is up to you to decide where you're most comfortable. Get to know ALL of the possible counterpick stages, and then you can decide for yourself. Memorize things like when specific floats will come out, how long you can stay on them, where you can wall jump, etc.

Personally, I'd take Fox to FD (tech chase possibilities are endless), Falco to Brinstar (hinders his ability to laser camp), Marth to Dreamland (he can't Fsmash tip me when i'm above him on a platform) or PokeFloats (his vertical recovery make it tricky for him to maneuver around the floats), and sheik to anywhere but Fountain.
Agreed. Nothing else to see here folks.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Falcon does fine on all the neutrals. YS is kind of weird because a full jump puts you on the top middle platform, but it's good otherwise. A lot of Falcons avoid FoD like the plague, but I kind of like it. The platforms can only mess you up if you allow them to. Once you get used to them, they open up a lot of interesting possibilities for aerials through platforms and such. PS is arguably his best stage. I'd say he can counterpick everybody there except for possibly Fox. Then again, Fox owns him on pretty much any stage...

As for the non-neutrals, a lot of Falcons have been rallying around Pokefloats lately. I don't much care for it (it's usually banned at the tournaments I attend), but I guess I can kinda sorta see why it would be considered a good Falcon stage. Admittedly, he can maneuver around the stage better than most, but it seems to me that anybody who's having trouble simply getting from float to float is nobody you should be worried about losing to in the first place. I wouldn't recommend it against the space critters due to the lack of a constant flat surface where you can tech chase them to your heart's content. I could see taking Marth there, but I think Falcon does fine against him on other (less gay) stages. Sheik could have some problems due to the vertical nature of her jumps and her up-B is pretty much useless without a ledge to sweetspot, but Pokefloats gives her a lot of opportunities to just camp and throw needles, which Falcon doesn't really have any trouble with on the smaller, more static stages. Then again, ICs get gimped pretty badly by any sort of moving stage, so maybe there's a use after all. If you really insist on picking a moving stage, I'd go with RC. Brinstar also seems like a popular choice lately, but I personally think the possiblity of acid **** far outweighs any benefits the stage might offer. DK64 seems like it could have it's good points, but I haven't really played there enough to say for sure. Jungles Japes is balls, as is Green Greens. Corneria invites camping. Mute City... lol.

I've rambled on long enough, I think.

Fox: Battlefield, Dreamland, FoD
Falco: FoD, Battlefield, Pokemon Stadium
Sheik: Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland
Marth: Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland
Peach: Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
Samus: Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium... anywhere, really. Falcon owns Samus.

Baseline

Smash Rookie
appreciate it this helps a lot ZoSo thanks also

Personally I like Brinstar and dk64 for recovery reasons. I tend to hate FoD because of the random platforms that appear at important moments. YS is cool because of a knee at 70 kills just about anyone. Every falcon likes FD so that doesn't count. Dreamland tends to keep floaties around at crazy percentages Peach surviving at 130 lol. Mute city :mad: I may get one good combo off but since their is no ledge to catch it is easier to get gayed, piked, or edgeguarded easily and also floaties tend to live longer on this level than dreamland. Is it just me or does falcon does bad on his own stage.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
counterpicks should be based on your opponents style, and where he likes to go. also, if you are uncomfortable somewhere, ban it. its not entirely character dependent, its different from person to person. i personally enjoy neutrals more than other stages, but ill go anywhere else if necessary. try to notice where you opponent likes to go and ban it. also keep in mind things like how big the stage is, where you can get kill moves, etc. many falcons dont like Fountain, yet it has reasonably small sides, ideal for knees near the edge. banning levels you "dont like" isn't as big as an advantage as banning levels your opponent loves. remember that, and learn to like all stages, so your banning can be based around your opponent's weaknesses. i often ban battlefield on everyone because i hate it, and because im comfortable almost everywhere :)

Fox - fox is pretty versatile anywhere, kills falcon off the top quicker on small stages, yet so does the knee. corneria has a small ceiling without small sides so that could work good on foxes that like the stage.

Falco. lots of people don't like FD because of lasers, but once you get used to getting around them you can be comfortable on it (i am anyway). falco also ***** on rainbow cruise (yayuhz). i hate battlefield, but ill sometimes go there on space animals just in case they also hate the stage, and try to abuse on the platforms.

Marth - i find this match to be even, just be prepared for the consequences of stages. FD is great for falcon, unless you spend time off the edge. its my opinion that marth ***** yoshis story, but knees kill him faster so its a judgement call. i like dreamland because falcon lives longer due to marths lack of kill moves, just dont get gimped off the edge. find your own strats.

Peach - i often ban Mute City on peaches. many peaches go there, and dreamland is also a popular counter pick for peach. its really a judgment call vs peach, whichever level you like the least out of mute/brinstar/dreamland. i enjoy playing on dreamland because peach lives longer than other neutrals, but still dies reasonably quick with knee, and the level isn't ********. ive also grown to tolerate brinstar..... sometimes.

Shiek - shiek outmatches falcon in virtually every category except for amazingly strong kill move (knee). this is a tough one, i usually ban battlefield/yoshis, whatever im in the mood for at the time. notice your shiek-opponents tendancies and find a stage that counters them (vaguest advice ever lol). smaller stages kill shiek quicker, whereas shiek can gay falcon anywhere, remember that.

Samus - ban dreamland. just ban dreamland. do it. do it right now. every time. right now

Devilution

Smash Journeyman
Marth - i like dreamland because falcon lives longer due to marths lack of kill moves, just dont get gimped off the edge
I'd go to this map it's just all he does it a back throw -> f-smash/f-tilt/d-tilt depending on my DI -> Neutral B...and I'm dead...I can't tech that **** for some reason any tips on teching it?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Don't Pick: Jungle Japes. Poke Float. Rainbow Cruise.
Pick: Dreamland 64, FD, Pokemon Statium (Big Stages)
Jmic beat me to it but I'll reiterate anyways. Poke Floats (and Rainbow Cruise) is Falcon's best stage for every matchup. In teams too. Everything. Ever. Every Falcon needs this utility stage, it's an instant victory if you get good practice here and know the times and layout. The reason? He's the best character in the stage to maneuver and manipulate with this stage. His run speed, his dash speed, his jump speed, his jump distance, his walljump, moonwalk, everything helps. He can fly around this stage. Poke Floats is to Falcon as Christ is to Jesus.

halfDemon

Smash Lord
Jmic beat me to it but I'll reiterate anyways. Poke Floats (and Rainbow Cruise) is Falcon's best stage for every matchup. In teams too. Everything. Ever. Every Falcon needs this utility stage, it's an instant victory if you get good practice here and know the times and layout. The reason? He's the best character in the stage to maneuver and manipulate with this stage. His run speed, his dash speed, his jump speed, his jump distance, his walljump, moonwalk, everything helps. He can fly around this stage. Poke Floats is to Falcon as Christ is to Jesus.
Let me just reiterate that... so NO ONE forgets that remakrable stage.

Baseline

Smash Rookie
Samus - ban dreamland. just ban dreamland. do it. do it right now. every time. right now
lol i got fourstocked on this stage. she had like 235% and she was coming back like she had 80% thats at least 2 stocks worth of damage. this almost felt like a bad nightmare. (in this case a bad nightmare would be bowser vs shiek lol)

counterpicks should be based on your opponents style, and where he likes to go. also, if you are uncomfortable somewhere, ban it. its not entirely character dependent, its different from person to person. i personally enjoy neutrals more than other stages, but ill go anywhere else if necessary. try to notice where you opponent likes to go and ban it. also keep in mind things like how big the stage is, where you can get kill moves, etc. many falcons dont like Fountain, yet it has reasonably small sides, ideal for knees near the edge. banning levels you "dont like" isn't as big as an advantage as banning levels your opponent loves. remember that, and learn to like all stages, so your banning can be based around your opponent's weaknesses. i often ban battlefield on everyone because i hate it, and because im comfortable almost everywhere
I don't like FoD but compared to other stages and characters i find it better to bad something else. I guess its true they say u learn something every day i never thought about baning a stage just because a person likes a stage or how they play i just banned stages that a character had an advantage on (falco and FD). I used to hate battle field but learned to like it i guess i should do this with the rest of them

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I'm a combo man, so of course FD/Pokemon are my two favorite stages. But when it comes to the stages I do the best on, Dreamland, Floats and Cruise are of course on top.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
My favorite place to bring falco + shiek is Zebes. Acid combos them into knee, small ceiling/sides, acid helps my recovery, the platforms are pretty close together and the ground portion is small so many go up to the platforms to get Uair'd spam'd.

Top Bottom