• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

countering Toon Link's dair

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
I've been playing with a guy who pretty much mains Toon Link, and he's been spamming that meteor smash like there's no tomorrow. That's all fair game, but does anyone have a general way to counter it? For now I've just been busting out Ike or Snake whenever he starts going heavy on Toon Link, but it would be nice if I could beat out his Toon Link with a character I prefer to play, such as Sonic or Metaknight. Metaknight in particular I tend to rely on up ground smash and uair, so toon link's dair is a big detriment to me. Thanks!

zamora

Smash Cadet
shield??

ive been trying to shield it as much as possible playing as sonic, always have to remember the 2nd or 3rd bounce

i have made shield a very close friend

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Block or side-dodge it. He's very vulnerable afterwards...

It'll work untill he learns how to footstool-Dair at close range. XD

Link_original

Smash Rookie
The best way i know to avoid it is simply side stepping(then use your smash attack after dodging the Dair.) . It is incredibly difficult to find attacks that match the strength and speed of his dair. I'm in the process of learning all the characters, but i always main Link and (young link) toon link because of the arsenal of weapons and good smash attacks. But hey if i figure out a counter i'll be sure to tell you

Zero000

Smash Rookie
if he spams it, its really easy to learn how to dodge it. and if you say "im not good at dodging," it takes a couple tries to get good at the timing, so just learn

or just stay under platforms and rush to him he his stupid enough to use dair

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
My friend spams the dair whenever he plays as Toon Link, so I shield grab it most of the time. My main is Marth, so stepping to the side slightly and hitting him with a fair will beat it also. I've tried beating it with a uair, but I usually end up trading hits.

Hell if you're Marth, you can try abusing the invincibility frames of his dolphin slash.

CO18

Smash Hero
Its very easy to **** him.. some guy tried to do this on me alot..

Just shield grab him..nothing he can really do about it or as others said just roll and **** him.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Spot dodge -> down smash

If he actually tries to spike just do an air dodge and laugh as he suicides.

metaphysicist

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all of the advice. One thing for clarification, though. Obviously I haven't been at this forum here too long, and have been wondering this anyway.

1. What does it mean to "punish"
2. What is a shield grab?

EDIT:
3. What's a spot dodge?

I'm still trying to learn some of the jargon here :laugh:

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Punish=Hit him, hard and a lot. Basically go out all offensive.
ShieldGrab is to shield jst before he hits you, then immediately grab out of the shield, IE, hold L/R then press A and you'll grab him.

Spot Dodge=Hold L/R then press Down, you'll dodge on the spot.

Spot dodging is more for experienced players as it requires good timing. If you KNOW when he's going to DAir then Spot Dodge, if your unsure, the shield grab.

Best thing I do is, DownB with Marth.

Totally owns.

Jubeh

Smash Rookie
Punish=Hit him, hard and a lot. Basically go out all offensive.
I don't know about the Smash context, but punishing is usually where you take advantage of an opponent's lag or mistake in order to counter attack.

And this is a noob question : Has anybody ever been blown backwards by a whiffed dair? Sometimes I want to punish it, but when I get close I just get blown away.

tutter

Smash Apprentice
For beginners watch for the starting animation, hit the shield, roll out of the way and smash while his sword is stuck in the ground.

Finch

Smash Lord
If he tries to spike you with it for the kill just air dodge and watch him continue helplessly to his doom lolol

MIRN

Smash Cadet
I main Toon Link, as I mained Link/YL in Melee, and just like the last game most character's up-smashes can counter the DAir. All you have to do is time it correctly.

Now, if they're using more complicated techniques, or one of my favorites (bomb throw downwards+ instant DAir) then you're better off dodging.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
All the fast moving dair have little control while it's being done so if you simply move out of range it'll give you penetly of time to strike back.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the Smash context, but punishing is usually where you take advantage of an opponent's lag or mistake in order to counter attack.

And this is a noob question : Has anybody ever been blown backwards by a whiffed dair? Sometimes I want to punish it, but when I get close I just get blown away.
Yes, that has happened to me several times. If you are next to it as he plants the sword into the ground it seems to have a slight push. Quite vexing.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Sidestep, usmash to intercept, shield, roll -> smash, don't be under him.

PICK A DIFFERENT STAGE

Top Bottom