• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU level matters in training mode! (VIDEO)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
A little unnecessary, but I had my equipment on hand, so here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ7rzO-8YYI

This is just a minor discovery that I thought was interesting, but I noticed that in training mode with the CPU set to stop, if the CPU is at, say, level 7+ then they will automatically airdodge to cancel the momentum from your attacks! Its really useful for training mode IMO because it shows you the exact frame that they can move in, so you can tell if things can combo better, as well as testing when attacks KO when your opponent DIs/airdodges (although training mode does have slightly different percents for some reason). Keep in mind that if the CPU is at the default level 3, then it wont automatically airdodge.

Best101

Smash Ace
Are you saying they do this while they are set to 'stand' or while they are set to 'attack'. Because level 9 coms always airdodge after being attacked.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I noticed this too. It kind of annoys me when I just want them to stand there for trying things out. But I can see how you could use it for testing.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I noticed this a little while ago too. After a certain level, which I believe is level 7, they will Air Dodge after ever attack that sends them aerial. This happens in any mode they're in, whether if it be run, jump, stop, et cetera.

I also noticed that if they are near the edge of the stage, and they are sent aerial, they will Air Dodge ASAP. This is not effected on their level either, as this happens on even level 3 computers, while if you were to try this away from a ledge on a lower level CPU, they would simply DI unless placed on a higher level. This is probably to prevent the player from knocking them away from the edge with a follow up.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This is just a minor discovery that I thought was interesting, but I noticed that in training mode with the CPU set to stop, if the CPU is at, say, level 7+ then they will automatically airdodge to cancel the momentum from your attacks! Its really useful for training mode IMO because it shows you the exact frame that they can move in, so you can tell if things can combo better, as well as testing when attacks KO when your opponent DIs/airdodges (although training mode does have slightly different percents for some reason). Keep in mind that if the CPU is at the default level 3, then it wont automatically airdodge.

I was recording some videos when I found this out, so I made a quick video of it, which should be up on youtube sometime soon.
I believe it was found that airdodging does not remove any momentum from when you are hit but that it does cancel the hitstun by half that your normally would suffer.
From personal experience I find air dodging doesn't do anything for me in reducing the momentum of an attack.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this too. It kind of annoys me when I just want them to stand there for trying things out. But I can see how you could use it for testing.
Then set them to CPU level 3. Thats the other side of what this post is saying.

Doval

Smash Lord
Neat stuff. By the way, air dodging doesn't cancel momentum in any way (though it does allow you to use your air jump, which does slow you down, sooner, and can let you last a bit longer if you get sent at a % where you'd normally jump too late if you just wait for stun to wear off. You can also use any aerial or z-tether for the same effect, but very few moves last less than the air dodge)

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Air dodging doesn't cancel momentum.

Also, training mode has no stale move and Brawl has no combos.

So how could you use it to test KOs and combos?

Crazy kids, don't know the value of a dollar.

Doval

Smash Lord
Brawl has no combos.
Fox's d-air to AAA/Reflector/Up Tilt/Down Smash, Sheik's f-tilt to f-tilt, Dedede's d-throw to f-tilt, etc disagree with you.
So how could you use it to test KOs and combos?
There may be juggles or combos that can't be escaped by waiting for the stun to wear off and jumping out of the way, but which can be escaped with a pre-emptive air dodge. EDIT: To be clear, this obviously still isn't any replacement for an intelligent human player. However, it's better than nothing.

Mistake

Smash Rookie
Thanks for finding this! I love to experiment with the moves of my characters in training mode, and seeing the frame they could start moving again will help me in understanding them even better- I never bothered messing with the levels before since I didn't think they would matter.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I'd say this goes in General Brawl Discussion.
Not to mention it was on 2ch a few weeks ago and is pretty widely known at this point.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I knew this myself, though I figured everyone else did too.
Anyway, as for the mystery of the training damage percents, I concluded on the Snake forum when players said an "online update" (lol) made Snake's down throw do 12% instead of 13%, that the attack does neither. It does 12.5%. What happens in training though is that it has a habit of just rounding the numbers, unlike in matches where it clearly keeps track of the fractions of a percent, therefore 4 non-stale down throws give an opponent 50% damage.

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
He prolly still thinks this because, (correct me if I'm wrong) air dodging DID cancel momentum in Melee. Or at least slow you down a little. Hell, I still find myself Air dodging when I get launched because of that old habit.

Top Bottom