• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cranky Kong comes out of retirement!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry, I'm confused a bit by what you mean when you say three out of nine.

If you mean Dark Seamus, K Rool, and Ridley I was referring to whent in previous games we've only got up to two or one villain being introduced as a playable character(s), (I don't count Wario, Dedede and Meta Knight in Brawl, they're all at most an anti-hero these days despite what the K Rool trailer says about Meta Knight, similar reasoning goes for Dark Pit. Nor do I count Mewtwo since outside of the anime, like most of the Pokémon he's neutral, only reason he fights back when someone's trying to capture him is out of self-preservation since I'm quite sure if anyone was an animal that's not usually kept as a domestic pet you wouldn't want to be captured. I would've clumped Wolf in here too if it wasn't for the fact recently he's being portrayed in his villainous roles of old again since post assault he's been more of an anti-hero until that Star Fox 64 remake, Zero, and now Starlink released.) So in all we only had

Melee: 2 (Bowser, Ganondorf)
Brawl: 1 (Wolf)
Smash 4: 1 (Bowser Jr.)

Then in Ultimate so far we have 3, K Rool, Ridley, and Dark Samus.

So when it comes to smash games (more so modern ones) three villains certainly is a lot, but as my post says Cranky is infact a redeemed villain, a hero nowadays. I just listed his past as one reason I'd like to see him get in smash one day so the OG Nintendo villain got the love and respect he deserves, since without him we wouldn't even have the villains we know and love that are currently in Smash bros, heck that could go for most of the characters in Smash actually.

But if I'm wrong on my assumption... could you please elaborate?
you said ultimate is adding a lot of villains there are nine new characters so far three of them are villains thats hardly a lot even in comparison to other games

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
you said ultimate is adding a lot of villains there are nine new characters so far three of them are villains thats hardly a lot even in comparison to other games
Ah alright I understand what you meant now. (Can't believe that went over my head).

Well while it still isn't by much, in comparison to Brawl and Smash 4 it's still the most amount of new true villains being added

Anyways I still think it'd be nice to have the OG Nintendo villain turned hero get into Smash one day.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ah alright I understand what you meant now. (Can't believe that went over my head).

Well while it still isn't by much, in comparison to Brawl and Smash 4 it's still the most amount of new true villains being added

Anyways I still think it'd be nice to have the OG Nintendo villain turned hero get into Smash one day.
I feel like Cranky Kong is a character Sakurai will have to notice on his own, rather than legitimately supported. I have a bias he's guaranteed for Smash 6. Haha

UserKev

Smash Champion
Just gonna leave this now.

Its great Cranky Kong has enough popular that got him a mention for Smash character potential. We basically share the same views as far as the debts of Cranky Kong's character. Haha

Last edited:

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
Welp, at least he’s a primary spirit. Lets hope spirits don’t disconfirm characters.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Welp, at least he’s a primary spirit. Lets hope spirits don’t disconfirm characters.
Spirit don't deconfirm characters, it's like how trophies didn't. Since we have spirits of playable characters as well. Plus... seeming as they're basically just official artwork... there's probably like WAAAAAY more than the trophy amount of all previous games that featured them combined, or somewhere around that number anyways.

Toucan_Man

Smash Cadet
Spirit don't deconfirm characters, it's like how trophies didn't. Since we have spirits of playable characters as well. Plus... seeming as they're basically just official artwork... there's probably like WAAAAAY more than the trophy amount of all previous games that featured them combined, or somewhere around that number anyways.
You’re probably right. They wouldn’t exclude such a relatively important character from being represented as a spirit just because they’re considering it for dlc, especially with how easy it must be to add spirits.

UserKev

Smash Champion
That seems fair. With :ultkrool:in now, he might decide to get the ball rolling on the Kongs that aren't in.

Besides, 75M could use a character. :p
Dixie and Cranky Kong are really the only necessary kongs left worthy of inclusion. The rest would feel like spam. Haha

UserKev

Smash Champion
Funky Kong
Lanky Kong
Tiny Kong
Chunky Kong

Though I'd be shocked if they even remember that last one, there hasn't even been a spirit listed for him so far.

Out of these Funky is definitely wanted the most, thanks to TF and its Funky New meme.
Its a legit list but they are likely extremely late additions after Dixie and Cranky Kong. I'm excited by how Lanky Kong could work tho.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
To me all the Kongs besides Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and Cranky feel like they’d fit better as assist trophies but then again I’ve played about 2 games in the series so I’m probably not the best judge.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I support Cranky but only after Dixie is added. HOWEVER if Nintendo comes to the Game Awards this year and reveals Cranky as the first Smash Ultimate DLC fighter. I will accept it simply for the outrage, salt, memes, and laughter to be had on the internet for YEARS to come. We gotta recapture that 2013 spirit!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I support Cranky but only after Dixie is added. HOWEVER if Nintendo comes to the Game Awards this year and reveals Cranky as the first Smash Ultimate DLC fighter. I will accept it simply for the outrage, salt, memes, and laughter to be had on the internet for YEARS to come. We gotta recapture that 2013 spirit!
I now agree that Dixie Kong needs to be in before Cranky Kong. Cranky Kong to me, if he's the last addition from Donkey Kong, makes sense because he's technically also a villain.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I want this gif to make the rounds again

splat

Smash Lord
I now agree that Dixie Kong needs to be in before Cranky Kong. Cranky Kong to me, if he's the last addition from Donkey Kong, makes sense because he's technically also a villain.
Despite making this thread, I feel much the same way. The thread was started back when King K. Rool was still in limbo, and Dixie seemed to be one of the frontrunners for Ultimate. It'd kind of make sense for the four Tropical Freeze Kongs to make it. When K. Rool was announced, Cranky immediately dropped from my personal hype train since three new characters for the DK series would be too much. Would I like it? Hell yes - but I don't count on it. Here's just hoping Dixie makes it in as DLC.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Despite making this thread, I feel much the same way. The thread was started back when King K. Rool was still in limbo, and Dixie seemed to be one of the frontrunners for Ultimate. It'd kind of make sense for the four Tropical Freeze Kongs to make it. When K. Rool was announced, Cranky immediately dropped from my personal hype train since three new characters for the DK series would be too much. Would I like it? Hell yes - but I don't count on it. Here's just hoping Dixie makes it in as DLC.
Wait, no dude. Donkey Kong Definitely deserve 5 characters at the most. I was just agreeing that Dixie Kong should be an addition before Cranky Kong. Cranky Kong is easily important enough and without a doubt worthy of a sloth on the roster. Its not like Cranky Kong isn't a long time character like Dixie Kong. After Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong would just feel too obviously missing with the uniqueness he can bring.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I support him. The idea has definitely grown on me. He's got the legacy and the suprise factor to be a good contender for a 2nd pass.

It's also currently his day in the RTC thread and it could use a little more activity so stop by if you want.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
OP hasn't been active since November of last year so you'll most likely have to wait a bit more for them to come back.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just dropping in to share some unfortunate news related to the character:

His VO for the Donkey Kong Country cartoon from the 90’s passed away recently...

May he Rest In Peace.

UserKev

Smash Champion
This is the last Nintendo character I actively support now since Mimikyu and Ghirahim dropped from significance and Doc Louis is basically to be also. Skull Kid, I also want to see in, at least is way safer than the listed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I forgot that Donkey Kong Jr existed... whatever happened to him? Did Nintendo kill him off, pretend he never happened or reintroduce him as Diddy Kong or something?
I think it's more like Nintendo replaced him with Diddy Kong because he hasn't been in a game since Mario Tennis for the N64 if I'm correct.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I forgot that Donkey Kong Jr existed... whatever happened to him? Did Nintendo kill him off, pretend he never happened or reintroduce him as Diddy Kong or something?
Probably, he may would have ended up too similar to DK, already identical to Cranky Kong in his youth.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If I remember, didn't DK Jr grow up to the DK we have today? Or is the DK we have today Cranky's grandson? Honestly I can't remember.

If it's the latter though... due to theories and such I've seen, DK Jr most likely passed away due to some war talked about in game manuals back in the day. Ah... the good old days where manuals had more than just text that explained how to play or were actually in the physical game case and not as some digital bonus for preordering or something.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If I remember, didn't DK Jr grow up to the DK we have today? Or is the DK we have today Cranky's grandson? Honestly I can't remember.

If it's the latter though... due to theories and such I've seen, DK Jr most likely passed away due to some war talked about in game manuals back in the day. Ah... the good old days where manuals had more than just text that explained how to play or were actually in the physical game case and not as some digital bonus for preordering or something.
I feel like DK Jr.'s trophy in Melee suggested this. Haha I think their separate characters tho. Jr. also means next offspring for males. DK Jr. being DK's son sounds more accurate.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
The story of Jr and DK is a troubled one. When Rare created the character art for a revised Jr, Nintendo said no. Either the design is close to the original or make it a new character. Thus we got Diddy. Sometimes current DK is Jr and other times current DK is DK the third. Cranky remains, in the current storyline, the Donkey Kong from the arcade.

I think the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series confuses the situation more. The DK in that series takes a liking to Pauline like the arcade DK.

Imagine an alternate timeline where Rare agreed to keep Jr's design and didn't create Diddy. I think the end result would have been DK would have always been DK, Cranky Kong being the father of DK so that we have three generations of Kongs.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The story of Jr and DK is a troubled one. When Rare created the character art for a revised Jr, Nintendo said no. Either the design is close to the original or make it a new character. Thus we got Diddy. Sometimes current DK is Jr and other times current DK is DK the third. Cranky remains, in the current storyline, the Donkey Kong from the arcade.

I think the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series confuses the situation more. The DK in that series takes a liking to Pauline like the arcade DK.

Imagine an alternate timeline where Rare agreed to keep Jr's design and didn't create Diddy. I think the end result would have been DK would have always been DK, Cranky Kong being the father of DK so that we have three generations of Kongs.
It didn't happen for good reasons. Diddy Kong is too brilliant a character, he'd be missing. DK Jr. might as well be DK or DK-DK Jr.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well hes been referred to as both cranky's son and grandson, its one of those things that nintendo just ignores these days

UserKev

Smash Champion
Imagine having Cranky Kong in Smash. This is what it would be like.

UserKev

Smash Champion
If Dixie Kong is to be confirmed, I feel like Cranky Kong will still be passed over or the popularity will move to Funky Kong.

Top Bottom