• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creating and Editing Stages on a Computer

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this has amazing implications. The stages made by the Brawl Stage Builder are very simple if you look closely, however it doesn't mean that all stages that we make have to be limited by this builder.

Since Stage Builder data can be stored on the SD card, it can easily be transfered to a PC. If some intelligent people got together and were able interpret the data and reverse engineer the format that the stages are stored in, we would be able to make a program that would create stages on a computer well beyond the capabilities of the default Stage Builder. It would not be easy, but depending on exactly how the data is stored in the stage file, we may be able to create stages as complex as the ones the development team created.

Also, if we found a way to extract the data of the default stages from the Brawl DVD, then we could edit stages how we liked them. We could remove environment hazards, badly positioned ledges/platforms, etc.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. It could be that the stage data is very simple and will not allow for anymore possibilities than the default Stage Builder will allow, but if it was more complex than that and we were only limited by our creativity in making Brawl stages... it would just be amazing. Once the program is done, anyone with the time and creativity could make a high quality stage. There would be 1000s of stages to play smash on. Maybe we could even create levels like the Subspace Emissary.

Even if we can only we can only make simple stages like the default Stage Builder, I think it would still be very useful to have a tool that could do build Brawl stages on a PC.

If anyone else is feeling ambitious enough to try this message me. Perhaps in 3 months we will have a team that might be able to make this possible. Of course, it might end up being completely impractical or impossible, but if its possible, it should be done.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Wii Save files are encrypted.
No one knows how to edit them.
Like I said, it may be impractical or impossible, but stage files and save files are not exactly the same thing, so there might be a possibility that they are not encrypted. It would be easy to cheat if you could edit save files on a computer, so the encryption seems logical, but editing a stage doesn't exactly break the game, so I could see if they left out the encryption.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely a possibility, but it requires some really powerful nerd magic. Please let us know if you are a really powerful wizard.

red stone

Smash Ace
imagines all the decals.....(goes into a state of euphoria)

anyways, i'm sure someone may be able to do it, but the program will probably be too complicated for many others to use. hopefully someone on smashboards will do it and just share really cool stages with us...perhaps take requests?

RPK

Smash Lord
HAHAHA Make it so that the Smashboards main page is one of the stages. If its even possible, that would be so ****ing awesome @_@

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
It would be could to have a Feature Stage of the day on the forums make it the
Header and say who it was made by

RedKnight

Smash Ace
We need a hacker who lives in hos Mom's basement first, but it sounds like an interesting idea

Mutated Arm Dude

Smash Cadet
Even if it were possible, I highly doubt you'd get further than a program on your PC that can create just as much as the Wii editor can. Not like that isn't good. Sharing stages on websites would get them more out there.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I like your idea on editing stages without hazards. If we could do that then the ac stage would rule. I hate seeing the thing move around. Also edit bridge of Eldin by taking off part of the bridge to the right and to the left making it a stage where u can fall off without stage hazards =D

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but this has amazing implications. The stages made by the Brawl Stage Builder are very simple if you look closely, however it doesn't mean that all stages that we make have to be limited by this builder.

Since Stage Builder data can be stored on the SD card, it can easily be transfered to a PC. If some intelligent people got together and were able interpret the data and reverse engineer the format that the stages are stored in, we would be able to make a program that would create stages on a computer well beyond the capabilities of the default Stage Builder. It would not be easy, but depending on exactly how the data is stored in the stage file, we may be able to create stages as complex as the ones the development team created.

Also, if we found a way to extract the data of the default stages from the Brawl DVD, then we could edit stages how we liked them. We could remove environment hazards, badly positioned ledges/platforms, etc.

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. It could be that the stage data is very simple and will not allow for anymore possibilities than the default Stage Builder will allow, but if it was more complex than that and we were only limited by our creativity in making Brawl stages... it would just be amazing. Once the program is done, anyone with the time and creativity could make a high quality stage. There would be 1000s of stages to play smash on. Maybe we could even create levels like the Subspace Emissary.

Even if we can only we can only make simple stages like the default Stage Builder, I think it would still be very useful to have a tool that could do build Brawl stages on a PC.

If anyone else is feeling ambitious enough to try this message me. Perhaps in 3 months we will have a team that might be able to make this possible. Of course, it might end up being completely impractical or impossible, but if its possible, it should be done.
i'm kinda interested in helping out with this. i havnt really done this before but i'm sure i would be able to quickly learn the things needed to help pull something like this off. i'm a senior computer science major in college, i like this type of stuff. are you a programmer?

veil222

Smash Journeyman
The problem would be the item limit for the stages, if you coulden't keep track of it on a PC. Chances are if you went over by 1kb the stage would crash the game. Let alone the thousand other things that could make it crash with edited files.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hmmm... Nintendo was wise enough to make their Wii remotes standard Bluetooth compliant. Maybe someone could just ask for some computer software. ^_^

Top Bottom