• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Creative Banana Techniques

REDFIELD246

Smash Apprentice
Other than the now predictable throw, dash, UpSmash/Cartwheel (which if done correctly is an awesome aerial combo starter), what other things have my fellow Diddy mains come up with? In order to combat predictability and maximize Banana ownage, we must be creative. So what are your guys' other ways of approaching with his Down-B? Character-specific tips are also welcome.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
A few things I've found but haven't added to my guide:

-press a jump button while hanging on the edge of any level, and diddy will perform a ledge-jump as all characters do, right? Because of the minimal lag at the top of this jump, you can throw a smash banana behind you and use it to assist in edge-guards. If you knock your opponent off and do it immediately, it will come in handy as its on its way down. I've once faired an incoming opponent, grabbed the flying banana at the same time, then tossed it at them as they flew away. I edge-hogged them at like 20% for the kill.

-throwing bananas right at the edge is a really good thing to do. It kills alot of their options. If they ledge-hop you can intercept them easily. If they attack/roll, chances are they'll slip on the banana. Throwing one out there is a big advantage when pressuring them off the stage.

-run at your opponent, R.A.R. then throw a banana. Don't get too close, they'll punish you for it. Its only use is to provide something to work with when approaching.

-Try to always have a banana in your clutches, it really helps in the grand scheme of things. When recovering, you can knock opponents out of your way and diddy hump them, or safely recover afterwards.

-In the same way, when edge-guarding, you can jump straight out and hit your opponent with your banana mid-air, then fair or dair them after they take the hit. Its a deceptively useful edge-guarding tool as well.

Hope this helped.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
I guess this isn't so creative, but when your opponent is recovering, throw a banana up above the ledge (not over the stage, so it comes back down and hits nearby soon afterward), and/or you can leave a banana right next to the edge on the stage (limiting their options if they get back).

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I like getting banana;s on each side of the opponent, cartwheeling through them, picking one up, throughing it as i exit the cartwheel, then head back through with a cartwheel picking up another banana and throwing at it them again when you exit the cartwheel (glide toss them too for mix up). Rinse and repeat, there really isn't anything the opponent can do but just or roll away, both of which lead to hits.

Aside from that, I always try and keep my banana's grouped in two.

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
yall should really start using da Z drop and glide toss if yall are not. more importantly da Z drop. Z drop is supreme in mind games and it counters the common roll dogde it simply leaves them wit no where else to go. zero to death combo if done right and have to be near egde to accomplish.

1.glide toss towards the person that way u can connect wit a grab before the invincable frames come in durin their recovery.

2.throw em off the edge and connect wit a spike or diddy hump your chioce.

also dash to D air spike is ****.

S4k3

Smash Rookie
When we're on stages with platforms, most often Snake's stage since the whole top is a platform, I like to drop down and throw out a banana as I go down, or as I'm coming up to the platform, works pretty often actually. I also like to use it to stop them approaching me from the air.

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
dash to dair spike?

lolgg good combo?
u can laugh all u want its a good combo since the dash pops em into the air. try it befor u judge it. Ive done it. its a guaranteed spike. of course u have to do it right.

Revven

FrankerZ
I likes these banana games! Supply moar strategies!

That aside, when I play Diddy I like to have the bananas opposite of each other. While I'm fighting my opponent, I knock them towards the bananas and then spike them between the bananas. They miss a tech and then I grab one of the bananas and throw one of them at the opponent making them slip which then I can proceed to attack. I have a video example of it as well! :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xyLsEbHbcAQ

It's right there. ^

Jonathan_Meadows

Smash Cadet
If used right you can use a banana to spike some characters down when they are under the stage and gimp their recovery.

I also recommend having a banana close by at all times and using it to hide behind. That works wonders with some characters.

Jeremy Smith

Smash Apprentice
i didnt read everyones post so this may have been said but i like to approach from above by throwing the nanner down and then using some sort of ariel, usually the dair to pop them up for a nice little combo ... also it works great against people with a good usmash.

saberhof

Smash Master
i like to mind game with bananas, as soon as my opponent knows im throwing bananas, i become agressive and i run at him and he thinks im gonna throw a banana, its real funny...

another cool trick is to Z drop a banana in front of your opponent as you are jumping over him, and if he tries to roll, he will fall from the banana and if he rolls the other way you can hit him and if he jumps, you can also get him =D...

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
When they pick up your bananas and toss them back, pick the same bananas back up to toy with them with.
Its not cool letting your opponent keep an active banana for any too long period of time, I'm just glad that I get to be the arbiter of when and where they come out.

I even like throwing bananas that are about to expire at them, because there chances of getting to it to use against me are very limited.

Getting them to shield right next to a banana, you can throw a banana at them (or hit them right) to make their shield flinch and sometimes the banana under them will make them trip.

Shorthopping off the edge and throwing a banana straight down helps against characters with tether recoveries. You can jump down and get a good free aerial move *cough down a*

Elementals

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this is obvious to you guys or not, but if they're using your banana against you then shield it. Once you shield the banana it is suspended in the air for a short time. You can quickly jump and air dodge next to banana to recover it without it hitting the ground.

If the opponent is smarter, dash at them, then shield as you are sliding. Proceed to z-drop or whatever afterwards. Once they pick up on this, just cartwheel the banana once they throw it straight down or with standard "A".

Again, sorry if this is super old. I know how forum people's egos get sometimes.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Camofflage

I like to place Diddy's bananas at places on stages that hide his bananas. (Like the snowmounds at Shadow Moses Island.) In free for alls this works well when your opponents are fighting each other and not paying too close attention to your banana placement. When they unknowingly work their way over to the banana they will slip and fall, giving you a free hit. Fortunately on Shadow Moses Island the snow mounds are at the edge of the stage when the walls are down; which means you could knock them off easily with a forward or downsmash.

zelix

Smash Rookie
always remember that your bananas only last for 10 seconds on the gound,but in your hands their infinite. so always have 1 in your hands.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
after doing diddy's facehump and pressing the jump button while you're clutched to them, you can get a banana out while you're up in the air with no chance of them hitting you. You still get your midair jump and the ability to use all of your moves (except his forward B again) until you land, so you can be sure to catch the banana.

Edit: turns out you Can use his forward B again while in the air from it. You get his second jump back as well.

minimajicz

Smash Rookie
after doing diddy's facehump and pressing the jump button while you're clutched to them, you can get a banana out while you're up in the air with no chance of them hitting you. You still get your midair jump and the ability to use all of your moves (except his forward B again) until you land, so you can be sure to catch the banana.

Edit: turns out you Can use his forward B again while in the air from it. You get his second jump back as well.
if u do the kung fu kick u might not get the second jump

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman

Yes, jumping off their head from a Diddy Hump completely resets your aerial state, meaning it has the exact same effect as jumping off solid ground. You will get your second jump back if you used it already, and you can use any B move afterwards, including another Diddy Hump. This is just another incredible quality of the already amazing Diddy Hump! :laugh:

Beware: If you slap them out of the Diddy Hump (using A instead of jumping), you will NOT regain a second jump, NOR will you be able to use ANY B move afterwards. It has the same effect as attacking directly out of the Side-B. So remember: ALWAYS JUMP out of a DIDDY HUMP! The only time you might want to attack them out of it, is when you are safely over land, and you just feel like mixing things up for mind games (or you just really really want to *****-slap them :p).

Top Bottom