• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crews idea

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I can already tell before posting this that it's going to get a lot of facepalms and "that's just a stupid idea" responses, but I'm bored so here it is anyways!

What if you could make substitutions in crews? Not infinitely, but perhaps, depending on the size of the crew battle, anywhere from 1-3? First, let me further define substitutions with examples.

R1, TeamA fox vs TeamB sheik
fox wins with two stocks left
R2 TeamA fox vs TeamB falco
For sake of explanation let us assume: This falco = rapesticks. Not only does he 0-death the fox in one sexy fluid piece of platform abusing shine combo, he taunts. The fox player, disheartened and crying on the inside, loses faith in his abilities (not that they would have saved him) and after losing his last stock in the same way goes home to cry.

Now let's see how this turns out with substitution
***REWIND***
After getting *****, the fox subs out with one stock remaining and TeamA sends in an amazing anti-falco counterpick player. Fox player is still ashamed but doesn't commit suicide.

Rules of the substitution
-----------------------------
1. Substitution can only be done if the player has won the previous match
2. Substitution can only be done by the player if he is in an angelic state (still on the floater thingy, if he has dropped down and invulnerable, too late)
3. If a substitution is done, the other player may do ONE of the following. Repick Character, Change stage.

Reason WHY someone should at least give this a try.
Melee has been around for 7 years, we need to find as many ways to keep it fresh as we can.

Please note guys, I know this may come off as a "I DONT LIKE SOMETHING ABOUT CREWS SO WE SHOULD PUT THIS NEW RULE IN SO I DONT GET *****" but really, I just want to see something new happen. I think if anything, these substitutions could add to some different strategies. I also think it could add some really broken strategies.

On another side note, this would change how crews are viewed slightly, as you'd have to keep track of each individual players stock as opposed to the whole crew's stock.

So please, discuss, and let's try to keep this serious. Let's pick at the idea of substitutions and if it jsut won't work then fine, we can let the thread die and forget about it. But I want to explore the possibility of having substitutions. All I'm asking is, please put some thought into it, because I have >_>

pockyD

Smash Legend
the problem is that it eliminates counterpicking, which is the major driving force behind crews

if in your scenario, team B possesses this falco that is, for some reason, an amazing fox counter, it's not fair that when he switches into a fox with, say, 3 stock left, he only gets to take one stock off before getting counter-picked himself for the remainder of his own stock (since he didn't technically "win" the previous match, he himself would not be able to substitute out, and if he COULD substitute out, then it would be far too many 1-stock and done situations)

It basically gives the "winning" team the constant advantage in counter-picks in almost every single match

DippnDots

Feral Youth
What if you could make substitutions in crews? Not infinitely, but perhaps, depending on the size of the crew battle, anywhere from 1-3?
consider it equivalent to a TIME OUT, as in basketball or football. It doesn't eliminate counterpicking, just adds a new element to it.

not to mention this
3. If a substitution is done, the other player may do ONE of the following. Repick Character, Change stage.
the OTHER player

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
true that, i think its a great new way to play
but i dont think that people will use it =[

im gonna try and use it in the next crewbattle that were gonna have

Watty

Smash Lord
aight so look at it like this and we will use drephen as an example

lets say that little prick rocks some1 and they have a person specifically for him. an IC player. He mains IC he has no secondary characters. drew knows hes about to get his rocks polished so he loses the stock subs out and than the IC player is screwed.

In that situation your taking an elite player who can drastically change the outcome of a crew battle and keeping him in. So instead of drephen getting counterpicked the IC player gets counterpicked.

pretty much this method eliminates ppl who are specifically good at a certain matchup and makes them sum what useless.

this also gives the crew with drephen the abilitie to use him as a counterpick again. which is again not fair

this is a good idea and watty likes the effort but it wouldnt work out to good

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Plausible, so the rule would seemingly favor higher end players. Dunno watty, it's still just one situation where the losing team gets **** on in the face, can't you think of any situations where this would be helpful, or is that solely my job as the OP?

Consider it like this, Team A has one smash titan, and team B also has one smash titan.

Team A is currently winning so they feel no need to put their titan in, instead they put in someone who's good enough to squash most of the other players on team b but still not good enough to compete with a titan. Team B realizes that they have to put their titan in, and do so. After this match, team A puts in their titan to finish off Team Bs.

In this case, I see that the winning team already has the advantage, a sub for team B, where they could put in a counter pick to Team As titan, seems to help even the playing field. And in this case, Team A would't be able to sub out their titan.

Two things could happen, Team As titan would lose some stock but manage to pull it out, in which case team B would most likely send their titan back in to finish him off and help close the stock gap between the two crews, or team Bs counterpick would beat the titan, most likely not with many stocks left, and team B would still have their titan left to close the stock gap between the two crews.

Looking one step further into the first situation, where team a's titan pulls it out, he would then, after doing a considerably harder task of beating his counterpick, would have the option of subbing out (supposing he has at least two stocks remaining after he beats his counterpick)

The substitution works like a double edged sword. It could help or it could do worse. The question is just which it does more often, which is why I think people should try it out before dismissing it.

Top Bottom