• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critical Hits

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
After playing for a while on Wifi and mopping up on some teams, I began noticing the bull**** that are critical hits. The fact that they are completely random and go through stat boosters cost me more than a couple of battles on the Battle Tower. Seriously, what skill does it take to land a critical hit? You can use moves like reflect and curse and they are useless if your opponent just happens to get a lucky crit and go through your whole strategy with just luck. It p!sses me off, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, I think sometimes the game itself uses crits as an excuse to win games it seems to be losing -.- Has happened more than once.

Anyway, I think the game would be made quite a bit better if criticals were removed as a random occurrence. Keep them as a probability on moves that have a higher ratio for them (slash, etc) but take them off for all the other moves. What do you guys think?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
But, have you ever thought how sweet it'd be to land a critical hit of your own?

Besides, with critical hits, a 2-6 game could become a 1-0 game, or something similar to that.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
But, have you ever thought how sweet it'd be to land a critical hit of your own?

Besides, with critical hits, a 2-6 game could become a 1-0 game, or something similar to that.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99
If I were to win a game like that because of critical hits it would be pretty hard to feel good about winning it.

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...excuse me for playing the noob here, but can someone explain how critical hits cut through stat boosters? I know that I've pumped up my defenses before, only to fall to a sudden critical hit (stallers really are starting to fail).

What do critical hits do? Simply ignore all + defense changes? I think they should maybe change that at least...

Otherwise, critical hits have been both on my good and bad side.....As long as no one claims to be better after winning via a lucky critical hit, I guess I'm ok with them...

Gray

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...excuse me for playing the noob here, but can someone explain how critical hits cut through stat boosters? I know that I've pumped up my defenses before, only to fall to a sudden critical hit (stallers really are starting to fail).

What do critical hits do? Simply ignore all + defense changes? I think they should maybe change that at least...

Otherwise, critical hits have been both on my good and bad side.....As long as no one claims to be better after winning via a lucky critical hit, I guess I'm ok with them...
No, all they do is double the damage.

D

Deleted member

no, they just do double damage.

critical hits are 6.25% unless boosted by something else (scope lens, stick, sniper, etc).

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I've seen them do more than "just" twice the damage. They completely ignore things like reflect and curse.

lowradiation8989

Smash Journeyman
They ignore any defensive stat boosters also.
it's true......i've had a pokemon use iron defense 3 times in a row, and then when the opponent used a move that got a critical hit, it did MUCH more than double.............i mean, it was quite easy to count hp between each iron defense........and the critical hit move did many times more damage than it should have when it landed on my pokemon

Nike.

Smash Hero
Critical Hits = LAMEEEEEE

But yea I'm totally up for a CH clause. It takes so much fun out of the game.

Yoshi Yoshi

Smash Rookie
CH clause is kinda dumb, as someone said stall wars will never end (and with pokemon like Cresselia and Blissey being almost neccessary to use, stall wars happen often). If you hate Critical Hits so much, get someone with Battle Armor, or I think there's a move that stops them for a few turns. Critical hits add a "surprise" to the game, and then abilities/moves that increase the Critical chance become nearly useless (except Stone Edge and stuff like that)

Also, critical hits do not hit through Reflect; I know this for sure.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
CH clause is kinda dumb, as someone said stall wars will never end (and with pokemon like Cresselia and Blissey being almost neccessary to use, stall wars happen often). If you hate Critical Hits so much, get someone with Battle Armor, or I think there's a move that stops them for a few turns. Critical hits add a "surprise" to the game, and then abilities/moves that increase the Critical chance become nearly useless (except Stone Edge and stuff like that)

There's no reason anyone should have to make all their pokemon hold battle armor. It's impractical even for people who dont like critical hits. And that move that stops critical hits is a waste of a perfectly good move slot. No one would ever use it.

I agree with you about criticals though. I dont think I've ever been in a situation when a critical hit has won the match for me, but I'm not complaining. I say they should stay. They add excitement when it does happen.

I do hate that one item which increases your critical hit rate with a passion though. ugh guh gugh ugh! Also, I think that Stone Edge and Cross Chop should have 70/75% accuracy because of the critical hit thing. Yep, I went there. >_>

Oh, and I was screwed over by a critical hit the other day... grrrr.

In the Fray

Smash Apprentice
Critical Hits are just luck, I've bearly been hit with 1, but I always get them easily, I just press a at the right time, it's worked for me ever since pokemon stadium 1...
Heh, And I thought i was only person to do this, do you also press and hold down and b while trying to catch a wild pokemon ?:laugh:

P.S ;) I like your smexy pokemon signature, Looks like we have common intrest in pokemon.

MR.T44

Smash Rookie
After playing for a while on Wifi and mopping up on some teams, I began noticing the bull**** that are critical hits. The fact that they are completely random and go through stat boosters cost me more than a couple of battles on the Battle Tower. Seriously, what skill does it take to land a critical hit? You can use moves like reflect and curse and they are useless if your opponent just happens to get a lucky crit and go through your whole strategy with just luck. It p!sses me off, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, I think sometimes the game itself uses crits as an excuse to win games it seems to be losing -.- Has happened more than once.

Anyway, I think the game would be made quite a bit better if criticals were removed as a random occurrence. Keep them as a probability on moves that have a higher ratio for them (slash, etc) but take them off for all the other moves. What do you guys think?
A single critical hit cost me a tournament.

My snorlax was about to crunch that dang mewtwo,but Nooooooooooo,he had to get over 2x the damage and somehow beat me.

My team was No uber while he had all EVd ubers.

To add salt to the wound,he's a 10 year old...from Chicago!

Makes me wonder why he came all the way to Iowa just to get lucky and beat me?

Yoshi Yoshi

Smash Rookie
If you're using non-EV trained non-Ubers against EV trained Ubers, you're usually going to lose anyway

fluffy

Smash Champion
critical hits sometimes help me. and somtimes the opponent. and sometimes makes no difference whatsoever. it all works out.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I do get mad sometimes when I'm hit by a critical hit, but I don't think they're horrible enough to take out of the game or anything.

It seems to me that every Pokemon player has the same opportunities as each other... they can work hard to earn enough money to buy an item that increases the chance of critical hits, they can select attacks and breed Pokemon to achieve a good move set, and they can also use the abilities of a Pokemon to their advantage, such as the ability "Battle Armor", which blocks critical hits.

All trainers have equal opportunities, so I don't think that Critical Hits are unfair.

And to those that have lost tournaments because of critical hits, there are more tournaments out there. It would get extremely frustrating to lose because of an attack like that, but it also gives you more time to build strategies and figure out new plans, as well as teach your Pokemon new moves.

Rubberbandman

Smash Champion
Smogon proved that Critical hits make the reflect/light screen go down the turn that you/your opponent critical hits, so basicly it is a move that pierces everything but the actual stat/ Protect and Detect.

I cant count the number of times I've been screwed over by a critical hit, and I just cant get over it. Especially when you've been owning some newb with a +6 Atk/Speed DDtar and then the pokemon survives the attack and ko's you costing you the match -_-'

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
I've noticed competitve players don't like luck... which I think is lame...

Lamest thing in the world if you seriously try and worry about things you can't control. If you lose from it you lose from it. But I like not being able to predict what can hapen...

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed competitve players don't like luck... which I think is lame...

Lamest thing in the world if you seriously try and worry about things you can't control. If you lose from it you lose from it. But I like not being able to predict what can hapen...
i agree! thats wat a game is all about!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what are the odds of a critical hit with a farfetch'd using slash with the onion stick?

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
You know what? I hate critical hits now. I was playing Pokemon Colosseum yesterday and used AR so all Pokemon were snaggable. Since all the Pokemon were Shadow Pokemon, thet all knew Shadow Rush. Well, after having my Espeon get killed by Shadow Rush critical hits like 15 times, I got mad. :mad:

I do get mad sometimes when I'm hit by a critical hit, but I don't think they're horrible enough to take out of the game or anything.

It seems to me that every Pokemon player has the same opportunities as each other... they can work hard to earn enough money to buy an item that increases the chance of critical hits, they can select attacks and breed Pokemon to achieve a good move set, and they can also use the abilities of a Pokemon to their advantage, such as the ability "Battle Armor", which blocks critical hits.

All trainers have equal opportunities, so I don't think that Critical Hits are unfair.

And to those that have lost tournaments because of critical hits, there are more tournaments out there. It would get extremely frustrating to lose because of an attack like that, but it also gives you more time to build strategies and figure out new plans, as well as teach your Pokemon new moves.
Yes... This does make sense...

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
Absol
Trait: Super Luck
Item: Scope Lens

Night Slash
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Me First

chibifibi

Smash Apprentice
Howcome? Psychic mostly covers Ghosts, and that's it... we already have Night Slash which covers both Psychic and Ghost.

fluffy

Smash Champion
since when does psychic cover ghost? psychic is supereffective against fighting and poison.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Has anyone ever had a poke in their team, like the absol above, that used criticals as part of its strategy?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
oh man how psychic has gone down since RBY days

same with electric

teams consisted of

chansey
alakazam
slowbro
snorlax
jolteon

and some random poke

Top Bottom