• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my fox!!!

Ethan.

Smash Ace
Hey guys. In the past six months or so I've been getting back into smash after retiring for 3-4 years. I'm really looking into improve my game to become a big threat in my state (I'm arguably top 8, but WI isn't great apart from Frootloop...) One of our recent tournies I placed 4th, which isnt bad, but I'd like to see some improvement. Taking advice from many sources is a great way to improve, so if you guys don't mind, take a look at these sets and let me know what you think.
Marth vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uARk-S1YCY

DK vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCJsblMDAyE

DK vs Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQntxlalSYI

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.

Rojo

Smash Rookie
One big thing I've noticed about your set vs the Marth is how often you got caught by his dash dancing in neutral. You tried to run up and raw grab him out of his dash dance a bunch of times and ended up getting DD grabbed yourself or forward smashed a ****load from what I saw.
2nd pokemon stadium match - 3:55, you get tippered as a result.
- 4:35, you got away with it here cause he messed up.
- 5:52 foward smashed again. 5:59, 6:40, 7:04.
That's like six times in one match you got punished for that approach. Run up grab is a pretty greedy option, unless you're Marth and you've got a grab range the size of Texas that randomly out-prioritizes other moves, so I'd dial that back unless it's a hard read on a bad/lazy DD. A better option that I didn't see you use would be running shine approach, you can WD back to make it safe, and if it hits you get a free follow-up grab or aerial to whatever.
I feel like your follow-ups and edgeguards were pretty on point this set, is was mainly your neutral game that could be improved. Sometimes in your DD it looks like your just DD to do something and not really reacting to his movement and it gets you grabbed and d-tilted a few times too.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
This post will be edited over time.

One thing i noticed is that when you recover you side b... a lot XD. The people you were playing don't really punish it but people will punish you for doing it. It's really predictable. Still good though for mix ups. At the game when you were playing DFU you got mind gamed when he was regrabing the ledge. People do this to bait and to wait for you to make a mistake. A safer way to counter this is to laser or nair in and wave dash back really fast so you bait them on coming off.

And what @ Rojo Rojo said about the Marth game

One big thing I've noticed about your set vs the Marth is how often you got caught by his dash dancing in neutral. You tried to run up and raw grab him out of his dash dance a bunch of times and ended up getting DD grabbed yourself or forward smashed a ****load from what I saw.
2nd pokemon stadium match - 3:55, you get tippered as a result.
- 4:35, you got away with it here cause he messed up.
- 5:52 foward smashed again. 5:59, 6:40, 7:04.
That's like six times in one match you got punished for that approach. Run up grab is a pretty greedy option, unless you're Marth and you've got a grab range the size of Texas that randomly out-prioritizes other moves, so I'd dial that back unless it's a hard read on a bad/lazy DD. A better option that I didn't see you use would be running shine approach, you can WD back to make it safe, and if it hits you get a free follow-up grab or aerial to whatever.
Other then that just pratice and break some habits and you should be good.

Last edited:

Ethan.

Smash Ace
Thanks for the analysis guys. I'm probably going back to the lab to work on movement. I did notice I airdodged alot when trying to waveland. I just completely whiff it alot. I did not notice me getting fsmashed for trying to grab. Thats a really good point, and I'll pay more attention to that. I've been really trying to work on my DD game.

I went to another (bigger) tourney this weekend. Played pretty badly and I'm disappointed in myself for that. I lost in bracket to someone I beat in pools. As soon as those youtube vids come up I'll post them here for some more feedback. Please be harsh in these ones. I don't want that upset to happen again.

Ethan.

Smash Ace
Okay here they are. The folks over at MeleeMilwaukee didn't upload these matches, but they're still on twitch. I'll leave time stamps for you: http://www.twitch.tv/meleemilwaukee/v/4135435

Fox ditto set starts at 1:10:30

Pool set vs Peach starts at 2:25:00 (I go marth in both of the peach sets along with fox, if you have any critiques there, feel free)

Bracket set vs Peach starts at 3:57:46

Appreciate your input guys. Let me have it.

Top Bottom