• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my friend's Zelda

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for double posting but I just wanted to bump this thread, seeing as its been about 2 weeks and not a piece of advice was given.

Hillary

Smash Apprentice
You have a good Zelda. try to work on not uairing so much and try to aim your fair/bair sweetspot a little better.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Okay I have time now
Generally you have pretty good spacing in each of your matches, and your knowledge of most of zelda’s moves is pretty good

Critique:
-Less din’s fire. You got a few good kills with this move (twice in 4 matches, including the nice Din’s fire shield to kick at 0:59 in your FD match vs marth), but it got you killed more often, because the move has such lag that it’s not really worth using unless you’re far enough away.

-More airdodging please. Triangle dashing (delayed wavedash where you jump and airdodge diagonally down) works especially well with Zelda, and it helps dodge moves such as marth’s fsmash. What I mean by airdodge is: use it more often when your opponent in either in the air with you (in which case you wanna airdodge somewhat downward to get to the ground, esp against marth, who you absolutely CANT approach from above) or if he’s using laggy attacks on the ground.

-Nice upB at 1:25 in the first match vs falcon, you should learn more of those to the point of where you can teleport and land on the ground at will. Another thing about teleport: you’re leaving yourself wide wide open when you teleport from under the stage. Because you aren’t sweetspotting them, you teleport way up into the air, and then you give your opponent about 5 seconds to either perfectly space a tipper or to charge an fsmash or falcon punch. Generally, you want to teleport from above the stage at a downwards angle so you can either sweetspot the ledge or land directly on the floor so you can recover fastest. Don’t teleport from under/on the side unless you have impeccable spacing.

-I’d like to see more mobility. In most of your matches, you flub the dashdance and instead turn left and right in place at least once. That leaves you open for attack very easily. More importantly, mix up your dashdance and wavedashes a bit. When you dashdance, you’re dashdancing in place, and when you wavedash (good spacing sometimes btw) you have much less spacing options as opposed to mixing up wavedash and dashdance. What I mean by this is shown in the falcon match on FD, where after you kill him, at 0:47 you do a dashdance in place, and then three wavedashes back and forth in place. Mix those up! Dash one way, wavedash the other, or wavedash the same way as the dash and then mix up more dashes. It’ll make your Zelda look very fluid on the ground.

-I also notice that 1) you roll when pressured and 2)you’re a bit too aggressive on the edgeguards. The rolling when being pressured is bad, because you tend to roll behind them, and sooner or later someone is going to predict it and send a spaced tipper or something your way. Instead of rolling so much to get space in between you and your opponent, you should use dsmash, which I’m going to talk about next. For the edgeguards, running off with a fair seems to work very well for you in terms of getting kills, but when you miss, you tend to die. Work on spacing that jump and upB afterwards so that you can either sweetspot the ledge or land right on the stage.

-dsmash: this move is spammable. It’s one of the two fastest smash attacks in the game, coming out at frame 4. It does 9-12 quick damage per hit, which doesn’t seem too much, but it has decent knockback and is one of zelda’s most useful ground moves. In fact, you can replace about 80% of your rolls with downsmashes, because dsmash clanks with marth’s tipper or hits before it, and it gives you the space that you need. Mixing dsmash into your ground game will improve it greatly.
-jab: jab resets with Zelda are actually pretty useful, particularly against fastfallers. The timing for stun after zelda’s jab is slightly different for Zelda compared to other characters, so people usually miss the right timing for attacking after the jab, so you can easily follow up a jab with an fsmash or dsmash or kick.
-you can sidestep a few times each match too, it just requires good timing, but it has some uses.

I’d like to see more shorthopped double fair/bairs. You do it once in the battlefield match vs marth, but you were too far away. You can also single bair/fair, and then waveland or do a falling nair into something. The idea behind sh is that a shuffled bair hits any opponent other than jiggly, Kirby, and some of the other shorties directly in the head, making it very quick especially out of shield. Also, if you keep yourself more grounded, chances are you’ll do better against opponents with better air priority.

That’s all for now, and you don’t have to follow that if you don’t want, just my thoughts and advice :p

Your Zelda can improve really quickly. Keep up the good spacing

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice, I'll show him it later. Hopefully he'll listen to you. I've been trying to get him to do half the stuff you've mention especially the dsmash.

It was my falcon's first time playing floaties so I messed up alot of combos, but I've gotten proficient at comboing his zelda zero to death so hopefully he will take your advice and make it more competitive.

Top Bottom