• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Ness?

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
This is from a bit over a month ago. Kinda silly, but it's my only recorded PM match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyEOdUHsU7c

Yes, I know I went for too many PK Flashes. I was in a disrespect kind of mood, ya feel me? I also don't think this guy was very experienced in this matchup since he dropped too many edgeguards. He's also not great at covering getup options and punishes. Ordinarily, I struggle in this matchup.

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Lol you solid, but tell my ***** Nix he a *****. But I can't see many flaws. Except maybe too much PkT2? A good marth would instinctively counter you to your death. But you nice af boy, hope to get the ditto one day.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Quick notes:
  1. You're not optimizing your combos. If you connect with a fair, and your opponent doesn't SDI, you have a lot of follow up options. It seems that every time you went for uair. All that does is put Marth above you, while you slowly descend back to stage. Alternatively, consider doing something like fair>magnet>nair or fair>magnet turnaround>bair to put Marth offstage and in a position to for you to edge guard.
  2. You're allowing him to return to stage for free. I know that you already acknowledged that you tossed out too many PK Flashes, but here's why it's bad. Marth is hard enough to get something started on when you're on an equal playing field. You need to make the most of your opportunities. Ledge drop rising nair into immediate dair is a decent option, down smash if he fails to sweet spot, jump off magnet>nair is also good. You have a lot of options here, it's just catching him before he can hit you with the disjoint that's hard.
  3. You're recovering way too close to the stage. Any experienced Marth is going to jump up and dair you out of your charge animation. It's easy to react to. Also, recovering low, Marth can just ledge hop dair you. It's a sad life. Fade back, recover high, when he inevitably fairs you, DI out or weave to try and get tipped so you pop up and can drift back without using PKT.
  4. You're too aggressive. Ness is a bait and punish character even if his design seems to say otherwise. His shield pressure isn't the greatest, and Marth is just going to grab you or dtilt you out of everything. Dial it back, dash dance more, wait for more openings before going in blind.
It's obvious this player wasn't experienced in the MU, so you played fine in that regard. But if you come across a more experienced Marth player like JReed, Sora, or Emukiller, you're going to have a much harder time.

Overall, your Ness is technically solid. You know how to control the character. Seems like you just need more game experience, which will come in time.

Keep it up.

Top Bottom