• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Sheik

NewJerusalem

Smash Apprentice
Shieldgrabbing: I know it is rewarding to get that grab but sometimes you just have to leave the spacie alone when in pressure. Escape sometimes in which ever way you want. Spacies require consistency, once they screw up then your chance to grab can show up.

TL;DR

Don't grab OOS so much, only when you're sure that way you don't eat a 0-69% combo because Fox and Falco can combo anything in existence.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Watched you vs Westballz.

VS FALCO

You don't really pressure as effectively as you could be. You walk up to shields a lot and then begin a staring contest, when you could be grabbing them. Or you'll dash attack into shields and not space to go behind them (where you're safe).

Need to grab edge more for edgeguarding. Sheik's ledgehop game is stupid and amazing. Many of the edgeguards you miss are from not covering enough options, mistiming, or not grabbing the edge. Most of them, in fact. Grabbing the edge vs a low recovery should be prioritized because her ledgehop bair is so good (untechable for a long time) and her onstage edgeguards (sans needles) can be teched anyway.

You get a lot of chances to up tilt or up air in your combos but you don't really take them. They're better combo moves for a good percent range vs FFers than f-tilt IMHO.

I don't really like the FJ nair approach with her, I don't really feel it covers much against Falco. In ancient times I enjoyed it, but now they know how to bair, uair, up tilt, or even f-smash through it. So I don't really like it. Just play more of a horizontal control game once you're close enough and maneuver carefully if you're not. Don't try to combine the two so much.

You actually look pretty decent vs Falco though. I like.

VS FOX

You're kind of tilting his shield at point blank. At that range, it's unsafe. More importantly, at that range you can grab. Or you can get outside his grab range with a dash dance or WD back and then grab because your grab is semi-disjointed. You don't actually need to be that close to grab.

This guy seems to know Sheik's up+B timing somewhat decently so either do more tricks (pull back, etc) or go for the stage and accept you're gonna be hit. No need to give up a stock at 70%.

Again, not really a fan of the FJ nair approach. It's kind of cool, but Sheik's strongest when she's doing horizontal zoning, juggling people to death, or grabbing. FJ nair exposes a lot of her low priority spots to the opponent, which is risky. This guy plays pretty safe so there's not much incentive to show weakness either. You jumped into him with a bair a bit after the FJ nair approach; again, he was on the platform. You can just keep tilting or whatever in that position. Being below them *****.

It looks like the biggest issue you're having is not grabbing enough. At low percents I almost strictly prefer dash dance grab or WD back grab to the f-tilt because it sets up a knockdown I can work with. You should also really work on just grabbing people for blocking and other shenanigans. This guy is getting to crouch cancel a lot more than he should because you're not really discouraging him from doing so.

I would also recommend linking into grab from aerials & needles more. I think, provided you discouraged him from CCing and fake CCing by knocking him over more and grabbing him more, you could also stand to use more dash attack (you don't do it enough). But doing so without fixing your lack of effective grabbing will only exaggerate the effectiveness of the CC defense he's using to counter you.

In a more general sense I think you attack too much when you're coming down but he didn't punish you as severely as he could have. So you might have figured you could get away with it (because you generally did). Against people more used to this style of play you may want to consider shaking tumble and FF > wavelanding if they're waiting with an evade-punish (like dash dance > grab), or using the air-dodge to position yourself away from their preemptive moves (like up tilt).

I think you down smash too much, but I also don't think your opponent punished it as hard as he could have (or as often) so I'm not sure if you decided to use it so much because you were getting away with it or because you normally do so.

Overall decent matches. Nice Sheik.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Sherigami(i dont know how you spell your name bro) dont lie you wanted to show off your win vs zhu.

Oh ya last time I saw you you were like 13 at that ucla tournament. I remember telling my brother that kid had a gay as sheik lol.

Way to improve man hope you keep at it :)

:phone:

Top Bottom