• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my style! (Videos! Yay!)

Creekside

Smash Rookie
Hey Everyone, pretty sure this is around my 3rd post in these forums. Although I'm new to the online community I have a good grasp of the game from growing up with it, watching combo videos, matches of Isai, etc... I've been playing online this past 1/2 a year or so under the name of Crumbs.

Because the only people still on Galaxy were the leet folk and I didn't feel like my *** being ripped open so late; I decided to get on God's Weapon. I found someone who was better than the average bear and set up a game. So far this is the only video that I've recorded where the person wasn't a complete lolscrub.

My hopes and intentions is for someone/everyone to critique my game, any advice will do.
Patriot Pigeon(Falcon) vs. Crumbs(Luigi)

The labels behind the video happen to be the victor of the round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ie4ELzdPXE (Falcon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4bKjA6LIy4 (Luigi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK3u7ezihno (Luigi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz6iGVUr_dw (Falcon)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I only watched the first vid for now but here are some tips.

Don't spam Up+B so much. It leaves you very vulnerable and should only be used for recovery and escaping combos/techchases. When using it for recovery, be spaced farther away from the stage so you can't get edgeguarded so easily.

Don't just rush in and get hit by Falcon Punches.

Learn how shield pressure works and which moves have more/less shieldstun. EG, When Falcon ftilts your shield, don't just immediately shield drop or you'll get punished that way. Of course, there's no perfect solution, since Falcon could mindgame you and grab instead of fsmash. Every now and then try rolling away with Luigi's fast roll, since jumping OOS would leave you vulnerable to a quick uair.

Just because you've launched a fireball doesn't mean your approach is guaranteed. React quickly to how your fireballs are "received" and you won't get shut down when rushing in, or deciding NOT to rush in.

Uair to up+B combos are not a big deal and should be regular Luigi fare, if your opponent is equal to you or worse than you. Learn these to perfection in training mode if you have trouble consistently performing them.

And lastly in that first vid, don't use your 2nd jump so far away from the stage. You might need it to dodge an edgeguarder. This can be situational too, maybe you want to mindgame your opponent by recovering extremely high, but in general, use the down+b first away from the stage, then save your 2nd jump for close to the ledge to dodge incoming edgeguarders.

Hope this helps. SMASH ON!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
If we're critiquing style, random Falcon punches and taunting after unspectacular things is pretty loose ~_~
Also I can't tell which one is you, the one you labeled Falcon and the one you label Luigi both have the same title but you call yourself Falcon in one and Luigi in the other...?

Judging from the first 2 vids, learn how to wait during combos. SSB64 is filled to the brim with hitstun, you don't have to rush any of the combos you're doing...waiting usually ensures that you get the hit, and (especially in vertical combos) makes your hit connect closer to the ground, meaning the period where they're in hitstun and you're free to move longer.

Eh. Dunno if I'd call your opponent better than the average bear ... assuming the average bear is someone you'd find on Emularena.

Creekside

Smash Rookie
I'm playing as Luigi through it all. Thanks for the advice, I need to be more controlled and less ballsoutstupid aggressive, and I should stop playing really high, dub falcon punch lol... I used to main u-tilt spamming d-dair gimping Kirby but I stopped playing him because, well, he's gay.

Understanding that all it takes is practice, I have a notoriously shy innovative side and I can't think of cool combos on my own; Is there a golden website that happens to have all of Luigi's combos, including situationals', labled nicely with how-to's? Or do I just need to get my *** stomped a few times to see them in action?

More advice! I Like it!

DMoogle

A$
I used to main u-tilt spamming d-dair gimping Kirby but I stopped playing him because, well, he's gay.
Kirby isn't gay.

Is there a golden website that happens to have all of Luigi's combos, including situationals', labled nicely with how-to's?
Check out Isai's videos with him as Luigi vs. Tigerbombz. Probably my favorite group of matches he has; so good, so much to learn from.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I know he isn't but racking up to 50-70% after touching someone with an u-tilt is a pretty lackluster gameplay IMO.

Sounds good Ill check them out. Thanks.
yea it sucks but use it as a chance to practice approaches, spacing, and timing. playing even a decent kirby forces you to practice these things due to kirby's ability to severely punish someone after they make a mistake.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
up-tilt-spamming Kirby noobs are no match for floaties that can't get combo'd by up-tilt. It's like Christmas came early for puff players since puff can't be up-tilt combo'd, and Kirby's so easy to combo to rest.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You're okay, but you have lots more to work on. You dodge roll behind a standing opponent too much, which is basically saying 'turn around and punish me'. You're Luigi edgeguarding Falcon, just jumping out and D-Airing his path as he gets near should force him to fail his recovery. That's another thing, don't be afraid to jump out and edgeguard. Luigi is one of those characters who can do it quite well.

The Falcon isn't too good either, I didn't see a single genuine combo from what I watched (but then again, you were Luigi, which limited his mid-damage combo options).

Because the only people still on Galaxy were the leet folk and I didn't feel like my *** being ripped open so late
I would KILL to only have people better than me to play against. I live in Australia, and everybody is about the same level, with only a couple of people (who rarely go on) who can boast to be better than the rest. Being owned is the best way to learn.

Is there a golden website that happens to have all of Luigi's combos, including situationals', labled nicely with how-to's?
If anyone ever listed ALL of any character's combos (minus Samus), I would be extraordinarily impressed. Just watch Youtube vids. Isai likes to play Luigi, IIRC.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
Play better players. Experience is the key to be more aware of what is possible in smash; You'll be better at reading your opponent, and effectively countering their mistakes and openings. Space yourself better(something every player can work on), Learn effective mindgames, connect your attacks better, and finish your combos.
You can also watch videos of better players and imitate what they do.

Also, I randomly just played Patriot Pigeon in GW. I forgot to record, I should of, to give you some tips. I didn't use Luigi though.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Good playing you the other day man. Isn't randy ridiculous with samus? He's easily the best bottom tier main I've ever played irl. We need to play some more, more play on console will help you improve. And I'd be down for a legit training session if you wanna, more than just playing game after game. Call me sometime.

Top Bottom