• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critque/give us tip on how to improve our game

Jace08

Smash Lord
sup dude, I'll just tell you what I like to do in this matchup as a falcon player

you guys actually did a lot of good things, first of all. You had some nice spikes and gimps, and Davide had a pretty good feel for how to play falcon and where to place his aerials

I noticed that Davide chose to knee a lot from the edge. Nair is typically a better choice unless you're sure your knee will hit. It just has more range and can interrupt marth's stuff with ledge invincibility. Ledgehop nair to buffered role is one of falcon's best options at the ledge

Both of you did a lot of accidental jumps from the ledge as well. It will happen less frequently the more you play, but be mindful of it

Davide seems to be very comfortable being above marth. He shouldn't be. It's okay to go for that wacky stomp from above every once in awhile, but usually you'll get punished for it. (on that topic make sure your marth remembers to duck when he stomps a platform above you, and then uptilt him)

Davide also seems to be comfortable running to the ledge after he gets a kill and stalling there as you respawn. This gives up stage control. Imo it's better to instead run around the stage evasively as falcon and then pick your battles on when to fight back

As for your marth in the neutral game, nairs are pretty good, but I noticed you rarely utilized downtilt. It's more than just an edgeguarding tool; it can lead to a free grab and helps counter falcon's dash dance. Also throw in more fairs in the neutral game, it can hit confirm into a grab as well

oh yeah also on falcon throws. Davide did upthrow you when you when you were at like 30% or below a few times, which is not a good idea. The marth can just wiggle out and aerial the falcon as he tries to combo (unless the falcon is being tricky and forward bs or dashes away for a regrab, which can work)

So he should pretty much always d-throw marths below 30%. Then from like 45% to 80% upthrow tends to work best imo. And after like 80% go back to d-throw

hope that helps!

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
yo I just wanna pause in and say viva venezuela real quick
had no idea there was a melee scene down there, tight **** :]

other than what jace said: you looked like you were edgeguarding a lot on muscle memory instead of reading or reaction, which you shouldn't be doing really. Marth vs a recovering falcon is just ridiculously bad for falcon and falcon was getting back in situations he just should never have been getting back in. Dtilt is a good choice to be sure but when it's the only thing you're going for your edgeguarding isn't going to pay off for you as well as it should be–although based on what happens 2:30 it's the best mindgame in melee. And every time you stood there and pressed dtilt in davide's face it apparently worked, and if it ain't broke, etc. Also, you started edgeguarding better game 2 so maybe you noticed before I did.

also, what jace mentioned about giving up stage control to hang out on the ledge goes for marth too–you're not mew2king's sheik, stop doing that. It's a bad strategic decision. Immediately after the SD I pointed out you get punished for hanging out there and lose your lead, and ultimately the game.

Marth should be saving his jump longer on recovery. Marth without a jump is dead.

Bair turnaround -> dair on edgeguard looks ****ing badass but you were going for it when davide was way too close to possibly lose his stock off of it.

That's all I got right now, yall are pretty good

Top Bottom