• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curiousity killed the lime cat? ;-; (tourney scene)

Adi

Smash Lord
Wifi. Wifi can't take Melee-geared button mashing with the precise timings. He also reworked the whole engine for this game, some things are NOT going to work anymore.
If Kailera can do it Nintendo should be ashamed if they are unable to set up a server that cannot handle button inputs.

Plus, from the looks of it, L-Cancel dependent characters don't seem to need it that much in this game.
Lol, are you kidding me. Characters with heavy lag aerials (Like Ike) are considered garbage and we're only in the preliminary development of the metagame. Once characters with low lag aerials such as metaknight are able to exploit their abilities more and more they will just continue to **** Ike, while Ike does not have room for change since he is simply too slow.

Plus, if you suck so much that you really can't hit your target with that high-risk move, then you really just need to stop playing Smash.
Uhh what?

L-cancelling really wasn't everything. Remember a time when you didn't use it? Oh jesus no, I doubt you could.
Yes I do very clearly in fact. All I did as a Marth player was sit back and spam shieldgrabs, ocassionally getting one or two hit combos involving a tilt to something like a nair. It was a gay strategy, but I always won because of it. If you wanted to play to win without L-cancelling that was what you had to do, and I hated Melee because of it. However, this changed when my friend presented a video from a tourney (I don't remember what it is now) but seeing the speed and complexity behind their movements intrigued me. After learning the advanced techniques it really opened my eyes towards the possibilities that such advanced techniques provided, and now Melee is one of my favorite games.

So to answer your question, yes I do remember the time before L-cancelling, and it was god awful.

What you seem like is one of those people who've been in the "high" for too long to remember what the "low" was like. Wouldn't it be interesting to see a Pichu to win a tournament? Oh lord no, not in the "pro" terms, he's "low tier."
Teehee, silly noob. The disclusion of L-cancelling will only serve to polarize tiers even more. Characters with fast and long range aerials will dominate the scene while poor Ganon and Ike will be *****, over and over again.

get over it, it's a new game. Put up or go back to Melee. Complaining to us isn't going to change Brawl, at all. Nor is it going to change our opinion. Face it, Melee sucks when compared to Brawl. We are sick of seeing "high-tier god-tier" and he fixed it, from the looks of it. This game might actually be PLAYABLE to EVERYONE.
LOL. It truly amuses me that you think the removal of L-cancel and wavedash will serve to balance the tiers. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
idiot said:
Flawed logic is flawed... if you fight in any form to kill/destroy/win against an opponent, it's a fighting game. :| Especially if you use melee moves with specials of sorts.
Okay that's just STUPID. Action games = fighting games, racing games = fighting games, sports games = fighting games.

Stop being ignorant and base your definition of a game by the definition of the genre not the definition of the word that represents it.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't have cared if they had made it automatic, however this is clearly NOT the case. Certain characters, like Meta and Pit have very low lag on their aerials however characters like Ganon and Ike simply have horrendous lag (for futhur proof search for the Ganon BTT video, you will see what I mean). Make sure your arguments are based upon facts rather then inconclusive garbage.

We have loads of information upon the basic principles of the game. True we do not have all the specifics, but we can make judgements based upon what we have at the moment.

I'm not upset at all about having to learn new techniques. I'm upset at the fact that they are pointlessly REMOVING techniques. Wavedashing wouldn't have been a big deal if it wasn't accompanied by the loss of L-cancel and potentially Dashdancing as well. By sweetspotting I mean sweetspotting the edge, now whenever you pass by the edge you immediately grab the edge and become invincible, resulting in a very easy method of recovery for most characters.
1. Ok, you got me on Ganon's air lag. But like I said before, Melee's AT's aren't irreplaceable. Just because L-Canceling doesn't work like before doesn't mean there isn't another way to reduce lag.

2. So, because we know the basics of Smash, we should automatically know every nuance of a game that hasn't been on the market for a month? What gives you that idea?

3. Edge sweetspotting has become easier, but that doesn't make strategy and edge-guarding worthless. For addresses to the removal of techs, see point 1 about them not being irreplaceable.

All of your complaints so far fall under the heading of Brawl not being exactly like Melee. It just seems a bit premature to rate the game against one most of us have been playing and learning for the past 7 years. Give it some time before declaring it sucks.

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
1. Ok, you got me on Ganon's air lag. But like I said before, Melee's AT's aren't irreplaceable. Just because L-Canceling doesn't work like before doesn't mean there isn't another way to reduce lag.

2. So, because we know the basics of Smash, we should automatically know every nuance of a game that hasn't been on the market for a month? What gives you that idea?

3. Edge sweetspotting has become easier, but that doesn't make strategy and edge-guarding worthless. For addresses to the removal of techs, see point 1 about them not being irreplaceable.

All of your complaints so far fall under the heading of Brawl not being exactly like Melee. It just seems a bit premature to rate the game against one most of us have been playing and learning for the past 7 years. Give it some time before declaring it sucks.
They dont know no good.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I'll support it- because I got in 'late' ('05ish) on the Melee tourney scene. So, now I can get it on it in a hurry, and pretty much be the greatest. =P

Firebert

Smash Ace
Well, it has been shown that both the Brawl and the Melee tourneys are still thriving, even if the Melee tourneys have gone down a lot since Brawl's release.

Top Bottom