• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Current-Gen Fighting Games

Laijin

Smash Hero
Who agrees with me when I say current gen fighting games are kinda...not so great when compared to last gen's fighting games?
Lets take a look at this generation's fighting games:
ScrubFighter 4
BlazeBlue is well...BlazBlue...
King Of Fighters 12. Does that even count as a fighting game?
Tekken 6. This is clearly the better of the current gen games and people play it for the most part because well..wtf else is there to play?(its also pretty **** good too).

This is all pure opinion, but the only good game out right now is T6.

Now lets take a look at last gen's games(A lot of these have been out for a long ****ing time). Some of these are STILL being played:
Capcom vs SNK
Tekken 5
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Guilty Gear Accent Core
SF: Third Strike

Those are just a few.
Discuss.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Holy **** you make alot of threads.

I like Blazblue.

This gen also has Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. And if you wanted to go portable, Dissidia is actually an excellent Fighting / RPG hybrid.

/shrug. I hate Tekken 6, and SF 4.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Holy **** you make alot of threads.

I like Blazblue.

This gen also has Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. And if you wanted to go portable, Dissidia is actually an excellent Fighting / RPG hybrid.

/shrug. I hate Tekken 6, and SF 4.
Dude I made 2 threads in the past like ****ing month. How do I make a lot of threads?
Also. I like BlazBlue. Its just...easy and gets old after awhile. It does not have much depth. Compared to Guilty Gear, it gets pretty boring pretty fast.
TvC is one of the better games in this genre.
SF4 sucks.
T6 is pretty good. So much depth..its pretty awesome.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I can't say much on Dissidia. I love it as a game. Dropped 120 hours and still dropping more. But, that's mostly by myself.

Playing with other people, things can get pretty broken unless you have the best equipment of everything. But go by Tourney standards and it becomes boring. I can't really explain it, but this game sucks competitive-wise.

Also, you forgot to mention Brawl. Lol brawl, right?

I see your point, though.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I can't say much on Dissidia. I love it as a game. Dropped 120 hours and still dropping more. But, that's mostly by myself.

Playing with other people, things can get pretty broken unless you have the best equipment of everything. But go by Tourney standards and it becomes boring. I can't really explain it, but this game sucks competitive-wise.

Also, you forgot to mention Brawl. Lol brawl, right?

I see your point, though.
Dissidia is a great game to play casually. My friend has 100% shop completion, and level 100 characters, but The multiplayer makes it so that you are not incredibly crippled. Besides, anyone could gear down.

All in all, it is just a fun game.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I understand that. I just can't see anyone wanting to invest time in the game the way people have for games like SF2, GG, SSBM, etc.

It's a casual experience, even if you spent 100 hours on it. I just have no hope for it.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
imo it's the community that sucks these days, not the games

if MvC2 had not existed before and just came out last week, we'd get the same people complaining about games talking all this trash about how broken all these characters are and blah blah blah oh man cvs2 is so stupid you just camp and as soon as you jump in or attack you get rocked blerp blerb

Yea BB isn't as good as GG, we all know that (additionally: except for things like dust loop, X2/#reload were better than AC anyway)
KoF12 may not be good, but KoF has never been that amazing, at least not since 98
People still argue that ST is the best SF game (mostly because it is), but gazillions of people play and love 4 anyway

smash 64 is still the manliest game out there

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Tekken is pretty awful. Hundreds of moves per character, a handful of those moves are useful. Excessive and Waistful design. One frame windows is a horrible idea. There is a difference between execution, technical skill, and depth to just being plane over done.

From the stream of the North Cal regional, I really don't see any massive problems that SF4 has. People complain about Saget, but our players here suck, and he wasn't even at World Finals. Sure, if you compare it to Third Strike its boring, but Third Strike is an incredibly unbalanced game thanks to that awful perry system, even if I do like the characters better. Also, Third Strike is following out of favor to Alpha now. I'm willing to bet that Super Street Fighter 4 will be the best fighting game this gen by far.

Blazblue is fun, though complaints about it being easy and lacking technical skill seems silly. Does it matter? No, no it doesn't. The only thing technical skill does is make an unnecessary gap between mid level players and high level players. Once you get to high versus top, technical skill doesn't matter anymore because everyone can do the same technical **** as the other. Then it comes down to the smarter player.

Tat versus Cap looks like its literally all about combos. I'll pass.

Sandtru27

Smash Lord
i could be wrong

but i notice that a lot of people in the 2d fighting community hype up game after game and keep moving on while saying the last one was trash

Laijin

Smash Hero
Tekken is pretty awful. Hundreds of moves per character, a handful of those moves are useful. Excessive and Waistful design. One frame windows is a horrible idea. There is a difference between execution, technical skill, and depth to just being plane over done.

From the stream of the North Cal regional, I really don't see any massive problems that SF4 has. People complain about Saget, but our players here suck, and he wasn't even at World Finals. Sure, if you compare it to Third Strike its boring, but Third Strike is an incredibly unbalanced game thanks to that awful perry system, even if I do like the characters better. Also, Third Strike is following out of favor to Alpha now. I'm willing to bet that Super Street Fighter 4 will be the best fighting game this gen by far.

Blazblue is fun, though complaints about it being easy and lacking technical skill seems silly. Does it matter? No, no it doesn't. The only thing technical skill does is make an unnecessary gap between mid level players and high level players. Once you get to high versus top, technical skill doesn't matter anymore because everyone can do the same technical **** as the other. Then it comes down to the smarter player.

Tat versus Cap looks like its literally all about combos. I'll pass.
1. Tekken takes a ton of skill to play. The game is ridiculously deep. Every character has over a hundred moves, but they are not a waste of design. Most moves are useful and you can probably go an entire match without using the same move twice because of how well its designed. All 42 characters are extremely unique and have their own play styles for the most part. Don't you hate Tekken anyways? So I assume you never gave it a serious try to begin with.

2. In what way does Third Strike have a bad perry system? Cause to me its ****ing genius compared to SF4's perry system, where you actually get punished instead of rewarded since you take damage from perrying. SF4 is extremely boring. I won't complain about balance her, since thats not why I think SF4 is a bad game. I'll just list a few points:
-a. Why are there 6 characters who are clones of the same character?(Akuma, Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Sagat, Dan). lol original characters.
-b. The learning curve is pretty not steep. Usually a game thats easy to pick up and play and then be even leveled with someone who is played the game for over a year is frowned upon. One of the main reasons people dislike brawl for example. Plus, SF4 is just overall extremely boring and repetitive. Matches play out exactly the same almost with little to no variation in strategy besides character specific strategy. Starting to sound like SFII..

3. BlazBlue is fun...for like a week. Because of how untechnical it is, how balanced it is, and how just overall the game is made. Its not a very enjoyable game in the long run. I loved blazblue when it came out for about a month, then after I started playing in tournaments and such. The game just got boring. It was the same stuff over and over again with zero signs of developing or changing its metagame. The game literally hit its peak extremely quickly(Not a good thing when compared to a game like SSBM, where the metagame is STILL changing).

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
1. I don't give it a chance because its completely over kill. Its trash. There is NO REASON to have 100 moves for each character. That is simply far to much to expect out of the competitive player. You could accomplish exactly what those moves do in about 20-30 moves.
2. The perry system is THE ENTIRE REASON THE GAME IS UNBALANCED AS ****. Its not Marvel Versus Capcom 2 bad, but **** is it close. Thanks to that Perry system, Makoto can't rushdown like she should, and Necro can't get his game on either.
b. difficulty should not be an issue here unless pros were loosing to random players all of the time. That doesn't happen.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
The problem with SF3 Third Strike's parry system is that you have a pretty large window for it to work (9 frames), executing parries has very little risk since you either walk forward or crouch instead of having a whiff animation or something, the reward for getting a parry is large like c.mk to super art, and then it is beyond easy to react if you get a parry expected or unexpected.

Parrying, at least with that system, is pretty messed up.

I could write up some stuff on why Street Fighter 4 is silly, but whatever. It probably does have better character balance, but some of the gameplay mechanics are bad.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
Lol such a biased post, opinions, opinions. For all these games you say are bad...which you give no explanation for saying they are bad.. You can't just come in saying:

"HEY GUYS STREET FIGHTER 4 SUCKS...DISCUSS THAT LOL".....come on now, make an intelligent post, say why you think it sucks, so I can actually come back and say something to you other than this garbage that I'm posting now...being an educator for an uneducated thread maker' :)

Zip.

Smash Lord
Lol such a biased post, opinions, opinions. For all these games you say are bad...which you give no explanation for saying they are bad.. You can't just come in saying:

"HEY GUYS STREET FIGHTER 4 SUCKS...DISCUSS THAT LOL".....come on now, make an intelligent post, say why you think it sucks, so I can actually come back and say something to you other than this garbage that I'm posting now...being an educator for an uneducated thread maker' :)
Damm Galuuda lolol

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Pretty much every game on that list gets dissed just as much as current gen games. The only games that I ever see universally praised are Hyper Fighting, and Virtua Fighter.

smashplayer16

Smash Ace
Pretty much every game on that list gets dissed just as much as current gen games. The only games that I ever see universally praised are Hyper Fighting, and Virtua Fighter.
Those two fighting games, are probably the only ones that rely on raw skill. Their balanced, having every character played at high level. Its like in other fighters, you can outplay your opponent and lose because they got lucky, or their character has some kind of advantage. Plus with the huge skill gap, you can truly distinct a beginner from a skillful player who has practiced and dedicated the time to get good.

Anyways, Im still waiting for Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. Sega needs to stop being stubborn.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Those two fighting games, are probably the only ones that rely on raw skill. Their balanced, having every character played at high level. Its like in other fighters, you can outplay your opponent and lose because they got lucky, or their character has some kind of advantage. Plus with the huge skill gap, you can truly distinct a beginner from a skillful player who has practiced and dedicated the time to get good.

Anyways, Im still waiting for Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. Sega needs to stop being stubborn.
Yeah, that was my point pretty much :)

DC

Smash Cadet
THIS.

Alice was too good, and always had the best moves. So did Bakuryu. What was the latest game? Primal Fury?
Nope, there's a Bloody Roar 4 for PS2. Honestly though, Bloody Roar 3/Extreme/Primal Fury (all the same game) was better than Bloody Roar 4.

Laijin

Smash Hero

.....Pretty sure I listed reasons in my previous posts.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Now lets take a look at last gen's games(A lot of these have been out for a long ****ing time). Some of these are STILL being played:
Capcom vs SNK
Tekken 5
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Guilty Gear Accent Core
SF: Third Strike

Those are just a few.
Discuss.
Every one of those games has something that's totally broken about them (except maybe Tekken 5, I'm not really a Tekken guy).

Say what you will about current fighting games, they at least seem to have tried to balance the games more.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'll whine and complain about whatever I want to.

Every one of those games has something that's totally broken about them (except maybe Tekken 5, I'm not really a Tekken guy).

Say what you will about current fighting games, they at least seem to have tried to balance the games more.
Dude most fighting games are broken as ****. I can't think of one game that does not have characters that are clearly superior to other characters. Tekken, Guilty Gear and Virtual Fighter did the jobs in my opinion at balancing their characters.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
game X comes out
laijin - this is the LATEST AND GREATEST BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER (fighting game/mmo) PREVIOUS for reason Y
2 months
laijin - that game SUXED i realized it already bla bla ALL THE REASONS I WAS SPOUTING WERE IN FACT NOT FACT AND YOU ARE DUMB IF YOU BELIEVED THEM

and the worst is that you can plug any game into these names
like i'm pretty sure that the instant someone discovers something imbalanced about the new tekken you'll drop your (it's pretty **** good too) opinion

then you'll remake all your old topics except tekken 6 will be on your list of suck games except the topic will be EXACTLY THE SAME otherwise

ffffffff

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
I'll whine and complain about whatever I want to.

Dude most fighting games are broken as ****. I can't think of one game that does not have characters that are clearly superior to other characters. Tekken, Guilty Gear and Virtual Fighter did the jobs in my opinion at balancing their characters.
Wrong, street fighter 4...worst matchup is a 7-3

Laijin

Smash Hero
Wrong, street fighter 4...worst matchup is a 7-3
And 7-3 is pretty winnable huh? Thats cool.

game X comes out
laijin - this is the LATEST AND GREATEST BETTER THAN ALL THE OTHER (fighting game/mmo) PREVIOUS for reason Y
2 months
laijin - that game SUXED i realized it already bla bla ALL THE REASONS I WAS SPOUTING WERE IN FACT NOT FACT AND YOU ARE DUMB IF YOU BELIEVED THEM

and the worst is that you can plug any game into these names
like i'm pretty sure that the instant someone discovers something imbalanced about the new tekken you'll drop your (it's pretty **** good too) opinion

then you'll remake all your old topics except tekken 6 will be on your list of suck games except the topic will be EXACTLY THE SAME otherwise

ffffffff
wut? i'll complain about what I want.

Galuuda

Smash Journeyman
And 7-3 is pretty winnable huh? Thats cool.

wut? i'll complain about what I want.
So...this is what I'm getting out of this thread. You don't like new gen games because they're 'boring' to you..well sorry but that doesn't cut it in everyones book to call them 'byiad.'

If you really look at street fighters new cancelling system...it's a hell of a good system thus far. And for them to even be talking about SSF4 is pretty impressive, shows they're working to make a better game. I'd say they did a good job with the game overall. And yes...7-3 is very winnable.

Top Bottom