• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Final Smashes

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Seeing as how we're getting custom moves, does anyone think we might also be getting custom final smashes?

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
What? Nooooooo, mang. I think there'll only be one per character. Programming custom FSs would take a huge amount of development time that's more suited for new characters, new stages, and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Hadn't really thought about that before, but I suspect not. Mainly because Sheik's FS is the same as Zelda's. If there were multiples, surely a different one would be showcased for Sheik as her standard?

Sheik's FS really should be playing Song of Storms on her harp, though.

Croco

Smash Lord
This IS possible.

How do we know the FSs we saw in the demo last month are just 'place holders'.
Some characters might have multiple FSs and the some we saw are not FINAL.
Heck we keep learning things new every month.. Alternate costumes? custom moves.. etc.
Like Fox and Falco? Maybe you can change Foxes FS into the land master? unlockable final smashes would be cool.
I still feel this game is a Brawl port updated and sped up a little with some tweaks here and there.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
I could only see this for veterans that got a new final smash in the game, like Pit, Kirby and Luigi. They would have the old and the new one.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Probably not, maybe something for the next Smash installment (if there is one) though.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Not happening, Way too hard to implement and is just too many final smashes.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Not happening, Way too hard to implement and is just too many final smashes.
No offense, but I'm not sure you're qualified to say what's too hard to implement in a video game. Are you a programmer for Wii U games?

Probably not, maybe something for the next Smash installment (if there is one) though.
If it's possible for the next Smash Bros. game, then why not this one? That doesn't make any sense.

This IS possible.

How do we know the FSs we saw in the demo last month are just 'place holders'.
Some characters might have multiple FSs and the some we saw are not FINAL.
Heck we keep learning things new every month.. Alternate costumes? custom moves.. etc.
Like Fox and Falco? Maybe you can change Foxes FS into the land master? unlockable final smashes would be cool.
I still feel this game is a Brawl port updated and sped up a little with some tweaks here and there.
Thank you. And I agree. It does seem like an updated Brawl, granted heavily updated.

Hadn't really thought about that before, but I suspect not. Mainly because Sheik's FS is the same as Zelda's. If there were multiples, surely a different one would be showcased for Sheik as her standard?

Sheik's FS really should be playing Song of Storms on her harp, though.
Sakurai has recently stated that there's still more that hasn't been revealed. We don't know how much more there is to the game than what was in the E3 demo. We already know that there are more items, alternate costumes, characters, stage hazards (Nabbit), etc. I don't think custom FS are out of the realm of possibility.

What? Nooooooo, mang. I think there'll only be one per character. Programming custom FSs would take a huge amount of development time that's more suited for new characters, new stages, and the like.
That's a cop out. Custom moves took development time, but they did that. By your logic they should just work on new characters and stages. I don't know if you've noticed, but Sakurai and his team have put a lot of effort into adding all sorts of extra features and details, not just new characters and stages.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
They already have a hard enough time to figure 1 FS out for every single character, they even copy and paste some of them.
I could only see different variations of the same FS, like the custom moves.

Final Smashes aren't such a big thing in Smash Bros. anyway. It's not like a game that is based on an anime, where fans want every character to have 3 different ultimates and where ever new games must have new ones xD

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Bowser hops into his Clown Car and spits giant ball of fire, Bowling balls, and finally bob-ombs.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
It's possible for both, I'm just saying it is more likely for next time seeing as we have seen nothing about that this time yet.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
No offense, but I'm not sure you're qualified to say what's too hard to implement in a video game. Are you a programmer for Wii U games?
Have you ever made a game?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sakurai did say we are getting custom smash attacks.
It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out this is a catch 23 situation, Samurai could consider Final Smashes to also be Smash attacks.
Masterhero Samurai also said there is a lot that hasn't be shown yet.

Worst case ontario we may get it as DLC, I think we might get it at laucnh though, I can't see him keeping DK's final smash... like really nah he's Masterhero Samurai he's paid by nintendo to make smash better.

Here's a list I don't keep on a saved word document on my computer.

Olimar – Rock Pikmin
Lucario – Brawl Final Smash
Charizard – Mega Charizard Y
Mewtwo – Mega Mewtwo Y
Mewtwo - Mega Mewtwo X
Villager – Bee Hive
Megaman – Rush Armor Adaptor
Captain Falcon – Super Falcon Punch
Donkey Kong – Coconut Gun
Link – Fierce Deity Link
Falco – Arwing
Ness – PK Kiai

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
To be fair (and this is coming from a programmer and computer science major), although it would be a bit more time consuming and unnecessary, it wouldn't be any harder than how they added the other custom moves, just as a different final smash. It's only time consuming cause they'd have to come up with the concepts for the extra ones and go through the various visual and programming processes to bring them to fruition, but it wouldn't be hard.

That being said, it won't happen regardless.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
You hare hoping for totally different and cool custom final smashes. But if there would be that option, it would be like the custom moves, with only variation in power and effect. Like Mario's Finale going faster and doing less damage, or Giga Bowser doing less damage but doing damage on contact etc.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I don't see them being too likely for SSB4, especially since we haven't seen any sign of them yet, but I can definitely see this happening for SSB5. It seems like it would be a natural progression of the custom move system that's going to be in SSB4.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am actually rather fond of this idea. It would be great for characters with less ideal Final Smashes or clones. It is especially helpful in regards to determining who gets what. Does Wolf get the Wolfen? Does Falco get the Arwing? Or does Fox get the Arwing? Who gets the Submarine? If we just had the option to choose, those would no longer be relevant questions.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Yeah, there's no reason this couldn't happen.
Honestly, it's about as likely to happen as it is to not happen. Lots of fighters let you choose between super moves, and it seems like the kind of thing Sakurai might implement.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
To be fair (and this is coming from a programmer and computer science major), although it would be a bit more time consuming and unnecessary, it wouldn't be any harder than how they added the other custom moves, just as a different final smash. It's only time consuming cause they'd have to come up with the concepts for the extra ones and go through the various visual and programming processes to bring them to fruition, but it wouldn't be hard.

That being said, it won't happen regardless.
As someone who has recently finished my CompSci degree, I wouldn't say that a lot of programming was actually hard (if you already know how to program) as much as it is time consuming.

If it were up to me, I'd rather have more characters than more final smashes.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
It's possible for both, I'm just saying it is more likely for next time seeing as we have seen nothing about that this time yet.
Before E3 we saw nothing about custom moves, yet that happened. Before last week we saw nothing to indicate that Little Mac would have an alternate costume for his pink sweats, yet that happened. All I'm saying is, lack of proof does not indicate it won't happen.

Lol. I see you think you're being clever here, but I never stated whether it was or was not too hard for the developers to implement. You did. And I'm not a professional game developer, but it is a hobby. I have made small, simple games. Right now I'm working on a Zelda fangame. I'm terrible at making graphics, so that's why I'm making a fangame. And I learn a lot doing it.

You hare hoping for totally different and cool custom final smashes. But if there would be that option, it would be like the custom moves, with only variation in power and effect. Like Mario's Finale going faster and doing less damage, or Giga Bowser doing less damage but doing damage on contact etc.
Who are you to say what I am hoping for? It was just an idea so I thought I'd start a discussion about it. Of course, most people here would rather crap on the idea than actually put some thought into it. We'd all like more chracters, but Sakurai clearly wants to do more than just add characters and nothing else.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Who are you to say what I am hoping for? It was just an idea so I thought I'd start a discussion about it. Of course, most people here would rather crap on the idea than actually put some thought into it. We'd all like more chracters, but Sakurai clearly wants to do more than just add characters and nothing else.
Didn't mean to bash your idea. Just giving my own opinion that we are more likely to get the same final smash with power and effect variations that 2 complete different final smashes for each characters. When I said "you are hoping" I meant for everyone in this thread, not just yourself. English is not my first language so it was probably an error on my communication.

Like many in this thread. I think the idea of custom final smashes would be cool, but unlikely to happen at this point. We could be surprised, its Sakurai after all. But at this point I don't expect more than Ice Mario Finale that freezes over something like a Cat Mario transformation (and even the Ice Mario Finale sounds awesome).

And I wouldn't like as much as you would to have a game with 60 characters but no new features, and I think Sakurai knows how to balance those two things perfectly. Even though some people feel like the roster is empty just because there is one specific character they wanted that didn't made the cut.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Actually, I didn't think you were bashing the idea. You actually discussed the idea. That is a likely possibilty that even if there are custom final smashes that they will just be variants, as many, if not all, of the custom moves are just variants of their default moves. Of course, I do think it would be cool to have totally different final smashes to choose from, but I'm certainly not going to get my hopes up for it.

Top Bottom