• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom GameCube Controllers

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Anyways I have more controllers in stock now to paint just message if interested

:phone:
All jokes aside tho I really don't think the business is worth going into at least online as most good smashers replace their controllers frequently or so I've heard. Also MikeHaggar may seem like a **** but he is the godshamgod of trolling and actually a really nice guy in person its just that he has a rep to keep so your can't really blame him. You may have more success in this business if you perhaps asked a venue like apex evo sktar or some **** and did it at a stand in the venue or right outside or something and let people know in advance that you'd be there so they could bring a spare controller for you to refinish, that would also get rid of shipping cost. If you don't do these things I don't think anyone's gonna buy these to be honest. But really MikeHaggar is god just saying, I don't know if he even plays anymore I think he just comes to mess with people, also his commentating is surprisingly a great deal above par.

Last edited:

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
All jokes aside tho I really don't think the business is worth going into at least online as most good smashers replace their controllers frequently or so I've heard. Also MikeHaggar may seem like a **** but he is the godshamgod of trolling and actually a really nice guy in person its just that he has a rep to keep so your can't really blame him. You may have more success in this business if you perhaps asked a venue like apex evo sktar or some **** and did it at a stand in the venue or right outside or something and let people know in advance that you'd be there so they could bring a spare controller for you to refinish, that would also get rid of shipping cost. If you don't do these things I don't think anyone's gonna buy these to be honest. But really MikeHaggar is god just saying, I don't know if he even plays anymore I think he just comes to mess with people, also is commentating is surprisingly a great deal above par.
lol, you must have come from the first page of comments..

I have had about 4-5 orders constantly pending for the past 6 months. I got enough controllers to make. If I wanted more business, I could expand through more advertising and campaigning projects to get the word out. However, that is unnecessary, since I have enough orders to keep me busy around the year. Your idea about setting up a venue seems practical, but its really not, since most people going to tournaments are not willing to put down $30+ for some controller mods. A $7 shipping price never seems to scare any business away in my experience. I am actually thinking about expanding my business further, but lack technical knowledge and management skills for my business (the process is not as efficient as it could be yet) so when the opportunity presents itself, your going to see a lot more GCS custom controllers amongst smashers.

Besides, the smash community (specifically melee) harvests one of the largest competitive, if not competitive at least serious, player base from any other game in the world. When people show up in real life to events, fests, and tourneys, a customized controller can make you stand out, and in result, people buy.

BTW, MikeHaggar commented like a year and a half ago. Not only is this whole thing irrelevant because of time, but MikeHaggar was just trolling a newbie, but thats not the case anymore, considering I've kept this alive for so long.

Last edited:

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
Well, all this being said, could I perhaps get a price/doability quote from you, and reserve an order spot for when you return? I've finally decided to spend the money on it, and I've wanted this done for a long time.

Been thinking about getting into it myself, but I have ZERO experience with the paint right now, and that's primarily what I want done.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
I can make it less glossy or more to your preference.
I heard from an old lady whom recommended me which paints to buy at this arts and crafts store Michaels that you can use turpentine to not only help make paint easier to remove but also make it thinner so for super glossy paints you can potentially mix them with a certain ratio of paint to turpentine to reduce the glossiness to your liking, I'd imagine you'd have to experiment with this quite a bit tho. Just thought I'd let you know considering you might be able to find some use out of that trick to use the same high quality paints that you are used to using but reducing the overwhelming gloss that a lot of even supposedly non glossy krylon paints have. Also that or you could just use less or thinner clear coats which is probably what you would do and would be a A **** LOAD easier lol. I'm not really very active online for smash but when it comes to these controller threads I just feel tethered to put what I know and have heard out there lol.

Also Ba-Yo
They're looking nice, but that glossiness seems a bit much.
I have found that when you take pictures of custom painted controllers, especially ones with many/thick clear coats, they look almost reflective and they show themselves to be much glossier than they actually look in real life, even with flash off when I take pics of my painted controllers they look like bike reflectors, not really sure why this is, but it is.

Also who else gets the suggestion of spelling "krylon" krypton? lol

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
I can make it less glossy or more to your preference.
Also yo dude I was going to throw away some old stuff in my garage and I found the empty can of the black paint I used on my first controller that wouldn't come off regardless of all my efforts and what I hold in regard to be the strongest spray paint I've ever seen or used in my life. So now I have the name if you'd be interested, it's just glossy black paint but really ****ing strong! It turns out that it's actually flower paint lol! It's made by "Design Master" and I found a website that sells it here http://www.jenlyfavors.com/desing-m...REq_mGurXspSrKs89_-IuY8BVNrX_At50txoC1vDw_wcB . Also this is the one I painted my buttons with and it still remains, I know it hasn't been THAT long but I play A LOT of melee and a fair bit of PM with it every day, so maybe you should consider giving it a go so that you can paint buttons more reliably. Also it seems to be pretty damn thin too since the only issues cause regarding button not fitting were cause by my other red krylon paint being too thick on the shell and the black didn't need any sanding or thinning at all. Also the black side of my dual color controller just seemed overall a lot thinner than my red side. Just thought It'd help you out a bit.

GCS Gaming Customs

I heard from an old lady whom recommended me which paints to buy at this arts and crafts store Michaels that you can use turpentine to not only help make paint easier to remove but also make it thinner so for super glossy paints you can potentially mix them with a certain ratio of paint to turpentine to reduce the glossiness to your liking, I'd imagine you'd have to experiment with this quite a bit tho. Just thought I'd let you know considering you might be able to find some use out of that trick to use the same high quality paints that you are used to using but reducing the overwhelming gloss that a lot of even supposedly non glossy krylon paints have. Also that or you could just use less or thinner clear coats which is probably what you would do and would be a A **** LOAD easier lol. I'm not really very active online for smash but when it comes to these controller threads I just feel tethered to put what I know and have heard out there lol.
I found that spraying clear in humid conditions (around 80%) yields a satin result with the durability of multiple layers of clear coat.

So now I have the name if you'd be interested, it's just glossy black paint but really ****ing strong! It turns out that it's actually flower paint lol! It's made by "Design Master" and I found a website that sells it here http://www.jenlyfavors.com/desing-m...REq_mGurXspSrKs89_-IuY8BVNrX_At50txoC1vDw_wcB . Also this is the one I painted my buttons with and it still remains, I know it hasn't been THAT long but I play A LOT of melee and a fair bit of PM with it every day, so maybe you should consider giving it a go so that you can paint buttons more reliably. Also it seems to be pretty damn thin too since the only issues cause regarding button not fitting were cause by my other red krylon paint being too thick on the shell and the black didn't need any sanding or thinning at all. Also the black side of my dual color controller just seemed overall a lot thinner than my red side. Just thought It'd help you out a bit.
Interesting.. Ill give it a try sometime.

B.W.

Smash Champion
So one thing I want to ask.

Has anyone ever found a site where you can get Wii U Pro control sticks without buying a full controller?

I would prefer to have 2 of those in my controller as they have the same grip as the Nunchuck control sticks, but the sticks are short like the GCC stick. It's like the best of both worlds.

But I can't seem to find any site or anything that sells the sticks by themselves. It's a shame really.

GCS Gaming Customs

So one thing I want to ask.

Has anyone ever found a site where you can get Wii U Pro control sticks without buying a full controller?

I would prefer to have 2 of those in my controller as they have the same grip as the Nunchuck control sticks, but the sticks are short like the GCC stick. It's like the best of both worlds.

But I can't seem to find any site or anything that sells the sticks by themselves. It's a shame really.
At this point, its not practical for me to expand my inventory to wii u controllers. However, in the future of my business and with the introduction of smash 4, it will be very possible that I will offer these parts for sale.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jAG0yXknDJZmNV4XwbP0HdpICz1_qHMW4mvXltAkM-U/viewform

Check out the new order form. If you were thinking about ordering a custom controller but want all of the options and prices in one place to see, you can check em out here. Don't submit the form if you are not submitting an actual order!

Add +$5 to all shell prices if you intend to order shells separately. For example, an orange shell would be $10 instead of $5 ordered individually from me.

Let me know what you all think! Is the form easy to fill out? Any recommendations, or much needed options? This will be the form used to order your custom controller from here on out.

Last edited:

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Nice looks GCS. Really like what you've done. Do you have any pics of the glow-in-the-dark paint? How much would it be for a GitD Falcon controller like the one posted with the Falcon logo GitD? If you don't have color options, would it be the traditional light green color? On a white controller, preferably, so as to have the logo not stand out very much, except when the lights are off. Could I ship you my white controller and you paint it and send it back? Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

GCS Gaming Customs

Nice looks GCS. Really like what you've done. Do you have any pics of the glow-in-the-dark paint? How much would it be for a GitD Falcon controller like the one posted with the Falcon logo GitD? If you don't have color options, would it be the traditional light green color? On a white controller, preferably, so as to have the logo not stand out very much, except when the lights are off. Could I ship you my white controller and you paint it and send it back? Thanks for your time.
I can do that. The green silhouette is $15 and glow in the dark is $10, and +$5 for the clear coat to seal it. So your total would be $30+shipping, which would be covered by the downpayment... Please fill the form out... for the sticks and shells fill out what is already on your controller. Put in the Other: notes you want gitd

marmle

Smash Rookie
Would I be able to purchase emerald or clear shells individually? If so how much would they be?

Phantom High

Smash Apprentice
i may order your services in the future cause my wave bird does need a new paint job.

do you take concealed cash? that's the only way i can pay.

how much does it cost to replace the c stick? mine is really grimy.

GCS Gaming Customs

i may order your services in the future cause my wave bird does need a new paint job.

do you take concealed cash? that's the only way i can pay.

how much does it cost to replace the c stick? mine is really grimy.
Sure, and $5.

FlashFireStar

Smash Rookie
Hey GCS I was just wondering but how and/or where you get all these parts for gamecube controllers (from the controllers to the buttons/sticks

GCS Gaming Customs

Hey GCS I was just wondering but how and/or where you get all these parts for gamecube controllers (from the controllers to the buttons/sticks
I take apart controllers, replace the sticks with PS3 sticks, and have extra parts as a result.

CeLL

Smash Lord
It would be sick if the pro e-sports teams that have picked up Melee players got custom controllers for their players, like they do for other e-sports. A Curse controller would look sick.

Also, just curious, why don't you list any prices for mods and stuff?

Top Bottom