• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cyclone: Why is it less effective?(OR more useful.)

WeeGeeSmash

Smash Apprentice
In Melee, the Cyclone was a good finisher.
In Brawl, it's the level of Mario's Tornado.

personally, I am fine with it trapping people and it's good for getting out of trouble.
what do you think?

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
It's great for recovery. If you have upwards momentum and you spam b after starting it, you gain good vertical distance.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Well I find the tornado very useful for Luigi.

It's a great recovery move, as viral said, it's an approach/combo starter because of it's speed on the ground how the last hit knocks the opponent up a bit to start some combos.

I never liked Luigi's cyclone in melee, I failed at recovering with it.

PoisonMist

Smash Journeyman
If you can do a full rising tornado without any momentum thus saving your second jump then you become really hard to gimp If you be cautious and space yourself .

It is also good for getting some characters (snake) to "pop up" into the air , allowing for some sexii combos.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
much better, it works for recovery, gimping (hard but possible), combo starter's/enders, punishing things from a long distance, approaching, retreating, getting up to the top of the level to then do your second jump and an up air to kill off the top, etc...
great move and very versatile.

chic

Smash Ace
tornado is pro now... very reliable for approaching since it almost always pokes plus it moves so quickly on the ground... also a very good combo starter and flows nicely from almost any attack. recovery wise its amazing. especially if you don't use your second jump it has the potential for mind games on the ledge. gimpwise its OK but thats not really what you should be trying to do with it... i have been somewhat successful with ceiling killing with it on some stages too.

crewster

Smash Lord
Wha's SS?
But I like screwing with my opponnts recovery, drop down, then rizing tornadoe, stay on the levl of he stage, once it comes ut you grab the edge.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I like to use tornado against really campy people, it's great for getting under them and starting combos. I don't use it for retreating though, the ending lag is too long for me :(

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Is gimping with tornado similar to the SS with tornado?
Similar in what way? Stage Spiking means knocking them into the stage so they bounce downward, while Gimping means making the opponent run out of jumps and recovery moves.

Delaying Luigi's recovery and letting the opponent chase after you (though risky) will increase your likelyness of being able to gimp them (without a stagespike) as you Cyclone back up since they have to chase you pretty far down. You should always mix up your recoveries though.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Cyclone in Brawl is best for approaching, long range punishing, and racking up minimal damage. It's great for recovery, and makes Luigi one of the best in vertical recovery. Using it for gimping only works on people like Link, Squirtle, Olimar.

It's not as useful as it could be, but it's one of his best moves. Stagespiking with cyclones... that's very rare.
Leave that to Mario, Captain Falcon, and the like.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I strongly disagree. Nair is much better.

crewster

Smash Lord
But the nair sends you opponents straight up whereas the bair sends them back ad so into the stage.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
In terms of killing, if they're not on the ledge, Nair is almost guaranteed if they don't metoer cancel. And yes, if they're holding on the ledge, bair would be better.

crewster

Smash Lord
But that's if it is under the stage. but any degree to the side andit doesn;t stagespike.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Similar in what way? Stage Spiking means knocking them into the stage so they bounce downward, while Gimping means making the opponent run out of jumps and recovery moves.

Delaying Luigi's recovery and letting the opponent chase after you (though risky) will increase your likelyness of being able to gimp them (without a stagespike) as you Cyclone back up since they have to chase you pretty far down. You should always mix up your recoveries though.
By similar Elheber, I mean, does it take place right under the ledge. I've never really gotten the hang of tornado gimping, so I was wondering if it's like, you come up from below next to the edge and gimp the foe....

Sorry, I'm coming off a little confusing to myself as well.

I see what you're saying, how they both differ.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Kev! posted this video in another thread in which you can see Falco lose his second stock due to Luigi's delayed recovery. Falco was gimped with Luigi's Rising Cyclone.

In this video posted by Geou in a different thread you can see Bowser lose his first and second stock to Samboner's Cyclone stagespikes... then his third stock to a Cyclone gimp as Luigi tried to get back on stage.

Luigi has better attacks for gimping and stagespiking (like bAir), it just so happens that a nice side effect of Luigi's Rising Cyclone recovery is the occasional gimp or stagespike. I don't recommend actively trying to gimp with the Cyclone; but when you need to recover anyway, you might as well try to maneuvre your cyclone to either stay away from them (remember you can still get hit yourself) or ram into them. Plus, if you know how to do Jumpless Rising Cyclones, you can take bigger chances at trying to hit them since you can always do another Jumpless Rising Cyclone if you were interrupted in the middle of one.

Luigi Lightning

Smash Rookie
yes yes it's dandy for recovery but also can be used as a dash attack rather than his feminine fists of fury because it's alot easier to hit and harder to punish. Also it hits the victem in the air (luigi's lair of destruction) to combo. And actually it's an easy gimp move off the edge to push enemies far outside the stage.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Recently, started using the 'nado as a D-throw follow up. You can't airdodge through the whole thing and it sets up more combos.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Cyclone is good. OP said it was a finisher in melee, but that was 64. In Melee it was a decent thing to use every now and then. Fun with ledgehops.

I like 'nado against people who like to roll dodge. That's fun. They're like "I'm over here" and you're like "Umm, me too!"

Top Bottom